Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Group G: France, Switzerland, South Korea, Togo

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy
    France’s first World Cup goal since 1998 and Henry’s ninth in nineteen major competition games. Not a bad record and a decent statistic for the people who believe Henry is a big game bottler.
    I'm a huge fan of Terence (being a Gooner & a football fan who isn't blind or blinded by something), but, to play devil's advocate a bit, South Korea are the mediocre national equivalent of the Man Citys & Aston Villas of the Prem who he (so the cliche goes) bulks his record out with performances against.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I'm a huge fan of Terence (being a Gooner & a football fan who isn't blind or blinded by something), but, to play devil's advocate a bit, South Korea are the mediocre national equivalent of the Man Citys & Aston Villas of the Prem who he (so the cliche goes) bulks his record out with performances against.
    For sure but it is not Henry's fault that South Korea are 'crap' is it. Seems like he is damned if he does and damned if he does not.
    Last edited by TT Boy; 18-06-2006 at 02:54 PM.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    So... which giants has chief poseur scored against then? I can recall him scoring against Switzerland I think (twice) in Euro 2004 and obviously the mighty South Korea today (shame he missed his second very good chance by falling over like a fairy).
    Which giants have France played against in major tournaments? I can only think of England. '02 they faced Uruguay, Denmark and Senegal, '04 it was England, Switzerland and Croatia, followed by Greece.

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy
    For sure but it is not Henry's fault that South Korea are crap is it. Seems like he is damned if he does and damned if he does not.
    He hasn't done owt at the top level so how would you know?

Nothing more than a solid international player.

Anyways why do France insist on not putting more than 1-2 players in the danger area when they're attacking?.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    He hasn't done owt at the top level so how would you know?

Nothing more than a solid international player.

Anyways why do France insist on not putting more than 1-2 players in the danger area when they're attacking?.
    No his done **** all really, has not scored Champions League trebles, never won much, never scores, never contributes for his club et cetera et cetera.

International Vice-Captain
    Huzzah!

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la

The wolves are running..

Nelson Muntz's catchphrase springs to mind.

All those who said Crouch was very poor (in England's last game) should say the same of chief poseur tonight, he had three one-on-ones and only scored one of them. Needless to say his heading wasn't up to much either but everyone expects that anyway.

Hopefully France can still reach the last sixteen, Zidane deserves a better finish to his international career than a 1-1 draw with South Korea. At least the French have the money in the bag game with Togo to come, who I believe are attempting to boycott they last two games with the Swiss and French due to their money dispute.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Footballing larceny on a grand scale tonight, Brian.

The French have no one to blame but themselves (particularly that superannuated dwarf they still play in goal), in total command but fell for the old sucker punch.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    I don't like South Korea much, but my interest in Australia's welfare outweighed that today, as I'm pretty keen to see South Korea win the group and get in our part of the draw, so I was happy to see the late goal. France played a pretty poor sort of game really, didn't push hard enough for a second goal, didn't bring Trezuguet on early enough, and so on. Barthez is a chump, too.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

poor second half performance from France, but hopefully they do beat togo & make the second round so Zizou can have a better end to his career, he deserves it..

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    if zidane wanted a nice end to his career he should have gone a long time ago, terminal decline is something he should have foreseen, france very poor, poor manager, poor tactics, selection of poor players. How long it will take for the french to realise Henry cannot be used properly as a genuine centre forward is simeply beyond me.....the selection of knackered has beens such as barthez and wiltord, and jokes like abbidal who has looked completely unimpressive at the expense of players like the excellent Ludovic Giuly is just ridiculous, obsurd and bizzare.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger
    if zidane wanted a nice end to his career he should have gone a long time ago, terminal decline is something he should have foreseen, france very poor, poor manager, poor tactics, selection of poor players. How long it will take for the french to realise Henry cannot be used properly as a genuine centre forward is simeply beyond me.....the selection of knackered has beens such as barthez and wiltord, and jokes like abbidal who has looked completely unimpressive at the expense of players like the excellent Ludovic Giuly is just ridiculous, obsurd and bizzare.
    a bit harsh on Zidane don't you think after his superb winner in the CL league final in 2002 just b 4 the last world cup no one would have thought he would have declined so much.

But i agree with everything else you say especially on the fact that Henry is being played as the only foward, that works at Arsenal yea because they have been good but with the national side surely Treseguet should partner him. Plus Guily's not been their is probably the worst decision of the World Cup..

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    zidane was a great player, he is no longer, that is all to be said on the matter really. But yes, certainly right about giuly. As for Henry's partner up front, trezeguet has continually been a dissapointment, were cisse fit i doubt he wouldo do much better, sames goes for anelka another player playing just behind him like Zidane is supposed to, like Bergkamp does for arsenal would be ideal, but frances closest thing to that is probably Pires, and hes not available, its a tough problem for them, but the managers questionable selection of squad means that they have a distinct lack of other alternatives, which is why essentially they will not progress much further in the competition.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information