• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group F: Brazil, Croatia, Australia, Japan

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
If Australia win, this 'dirty play' accusations by the Japanese will look the greatest case of Sour Grapes I have seen in a long time.
Not if said before the game.

Sour grapes would be after the match (think back to the Aussie's in Mumbai...)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
That goal was a bit of a mess really and hard to say what exactly happened, some say Schwarzer ran out tried to clear the Japan player out of the way, which knocked himself off balance and so it was a fair goal and Schwarzer's fault. Then there's the obvious Japan played blocked him off etc. There's also the possibility that the Japanese player (on the left) got pushed into the keepers' path.
I didn't see it, but heard the commentators talk about it.

They couldn't make their minds up as to if it were a foul or not, so you have to go with the refs interpretation from where he stood.

howardj

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
Gotta love an Aussie moaning about kicking people/teams when they're down, I guess you can't take what you dish out eh.
name 3 or 4 australians on this site who dont give the opposition credit.

least i, and many other australians, are fair minded on this site.

you're just unbearable, miserable, predictable, one-dimensional - permanently stuck in aussie-bashing mode.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
howardj said:
name 3 or 4 australians on this site who dont give the opposition credit.

least i, and many other australians, are fair minded on this site.

you're just unbearable, miserable, predictable, one-dimensional - permanently stuck in foreign-bashing mode.
You made a typo ;)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Key word highlighted.
Err yeah, good work. Don't you have anything better to do than get your jollies taking cracks at the Australian team (and fans) alongside Scaly? Go watch the football or something.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Err yeah, good work. Don't you have anything better to do than get your jollies taking cracks at the Australian team (and fans) alongside Scaly? Go watch the football or something.
No, it was a genuine point - he played against Liechenstein in a friendly - how does that prove anything whatsoever?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
No, it was a genuine point - he played against Liechenstein in a friendly - how does that prove anything whatsoever?
It was his first ever cap for Australia, you realise? So, some of us had never seen him before, and thought he looked impressive. It doesn't matter who the opposition was, he spent half an hour on the pitch, scored a goal and looked very good, while the other main candidate to be the third striker (Archie Thompson) looked pretty poor in every respect except pace.

Also, it was 1-1 when he came on the pitch, so it wasn't exactly like Thompson scoring 12 goals or whatever against the Solomon Islands. It was a game that was there to be won.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
It was his first ever cap for Australia, you realise? So, some of us had never seen him before, and thought he looked impressive. It doesn't matter who the opposition was, he spent half an hour on the pitch, scored a goal and looked very good, while the other main candidate to be the third striker (Archie Thompson) looked pretty poor in every respect except pace.

Also, it was 1-1 when he came on the pitch, so it wasn't exactly like Thompson scoring 12 goals or whatever against the Solomon Islands. It was a game that was there to be won.
Pedant's point: wasn't it American Samoa?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
I didn't see it, but heard the commentators talk about it.

They couldn't make their minds up as to if it were a foul or not, so you have to go with the refs interpretation from where he stood.
Convenient.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
You know, if I ever saw a ****atiel or a ****atoo (fnarr fnarr) I'd shoot it, just on the off chance that it belonged to SP.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Don't make yourself look a total numpty* by having a go at Marc over that one, for crying out loud - oh, too late. Never mind, perhaps no-one will notice unless someone else brings it up in gereral conversa... oh dear, sorry about that.

Leichtenstein are ranked somewhere around the level of Burton Albion reserves. Showing your class against them is not all it's cracked up to be - really.

*Numpty - Noun

a) Someone who (sometimes unwittingly) by speech or action demonstrates a lack of knowledge or misconception of a particular subject or situation to the amusement of others.

b) A good humoured admonition, a term of endearment

c) A reckless, absent minded or unwise person

d) "No. That wisnae wit she meant, ya big numpty!"

e) i.e. "Silly billy", "You big dafty"

f) "That numpty's driving with no lights on!"

;)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
You know, if I ever saw a ****atiel or a ****atoo (fnarr fnarr) I'd shoot it, just on the off chance that it belonged to SP.
I actually like ****atoos. Quality birds. Scaly does them a great disservice.