Cricket Player Manager
Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Group F: Brazil, Croatia, Australia, Japan

I think its a given that Kewell will start off the Bench for at least the Japan game...

will leave us with a Midfield of Cahill, Grella, Culina and Bresciano...

The impact of Kewell off the bench could be lethal especially if he comes on with Kennedy and swings a few crosses in against the vertically challenged Japanese defenders...

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Pretty worrying stuff for Australia tonight. 3-1 seems like a good score, but a 1-1 draw was on the cards for a long time, and the play was generally shoddy given the quality of the opposition. Defence looked really loose again, much like in the first half against Holland, and against a more capable attacking side we might well have conceded a few more goals aside from Neill's blunder.

Elsewhere, Aloisi and Kennedy were the most impressive. Aloisi played a good 90 minutes and could have scored a few times, and Kennedy looked really dangerous the whole time he was on, and is certainly a much better option than Archie Thompson for mine. Kewell had some good touches in the first half on the rare occasions he got into the game, and Emerton was poor in the first half but good in the second. Cahill was quiet, as was Sterjovski despite the goal, and Skoko.

It's not a hugely important game obviously, and we weren't playing our first team, but it's a big concern heading into the world cup when a team like Liechtenstein gets behind your defence half a dozen times in 90 minutes. They were actually pretty solid at the back, and scoring 3 times is a nice effort, but defending has been the obvious focus of the buildup for Australia from the start, and it doesn't seem like there's been huge improvements.
    I agree with all of that. At least now I think we`ve found all the areas we need to fix, now we just need to fix them.
    Jesus saves

member of Liverpool FC and Melbourne City

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloete
    There's no denying they're a good team but I just think they're a bit overrated.

Certainly a top defence and Stipe is no mug at all, but does Prso, Olic and Klasnic really scare me? I'd have to say no. Kranjcar has put on a bit of weight and I don't think he'll perform. The screams of nepotism will overawe him when he underperforms just a bit and they really don't offer much else in midfield.

I can see how the like the counterattack though. Very strng backline and not much in midfield means they want to get it out as quickly as possible. Only player I worry about to give penalties is Moore, Neill has turned into a very good player while Moore still has a tendancy to dive in.

There's no denying they're a good team and that they'll be difficutl to beat, I just don't think they're as good as everyone thinks player for player. Their '98 team had alot more class, particularly in midfield. Should be great to watch anyway.
    Player for player, they`re not as good as other teams. But their team-work IMO, is exceptional, always backing each other up, their wingers and counter-attack play has been fabulous.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blewy
    I think its a given that Kewell will start off the Bench for at least the Japan game...

will leave us with a Midfield of Cahill, Grella, Culina and Bresciano...

The impact of Kewell off the bench could be lethal especially if he comes on with Kennedy and swings a few crosses in against the vertically challenged Japanese defenders...
    Wouldn't that mean either we have Popovic in a three man defence or Sterjovski gets another start. I rather start with Kennedy myself then those two options.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

I thought Croatia were quite unlucky against Spain, 1-1 would have been fair. Injuries a big worry though, we need Simunic.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden
    I agree with all of that. At least now I think we`ve found all the areas we need to fix, now we just need to fix them.
    'We?'

I thought you were supporting Croatia?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden
    Player for player, they`re not as good as other teams. But their team-work IMO, is exceptional, always backing each other up, their wingers and counter-attack play has been fabulous.
    I'll give you that.
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

Blacks ftw

International Captain ash chaulk's Avatar
    i dont think lazaridis should get game time either his crosses didnt leave the ground
    CW Black - The best team in the ComP

Proudly supporting:
    • Wasim Ranamadruta
      Ahkeep Myteefina Jahbesidabed
      Ramatunga Downathroata

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    So ash chaulk is the first ever AFL Last Man Standing.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Have to say a side with width will like it IMO - 69 year old full backs and a narrow midfield....
    Very few teams have genuine width. It's not only England that try to cram as many central midfielders into a side as humanly possible.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blewy
    and it was also good to notice Nick Killkenny come off the bench late.. He is now OFFICIALLY an Australian
    is he any relation to Neil Kilkenny?
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Or OMGT Killedkenny?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave
    is he any relation to Neil Kilkenny?
    Um, quite possibly

Dont know what made me call him Nick..

International Regular
    Once more, ignoring all other posts ..... one would have to be mentally challenged to think Brazil would not make it through from this group.

To join Brazil ..... being Australian I will be biased and say the Aussies.... but realistically....the ultimate dark horses in Croatia will probably go through.'

Well done to Australia for making the finals regardless of results
    Captain for the Blues.

Code:
    FC : 129 matches
    281 runs @ 1.76
    650 wickets @ 28.86, S/R of 41.75
    Best Bowling of 8 for 57
    39 5-wicket innings, 7 10-wicket matches.

Test : 12 matches
    8 runs @ 0.62
    68 wickets @ 27.99, S/R of 40.22
    Best Bowling of 5 for 59
    4 5-wicket innings, 0 10-wicket matches.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoman
    Just thought id bring up my current dislike for average Australian who has all of a sudden become a football expert. It's great people are taking notice of the game in the country now but a lot of people who dont know a lot about football seem to have unrealistic expectation. Like people ring up the radio when they are discussing it and they are like "yeh go Aussies, yay, Harry Kewell hes so good" etc... they dont really have much idea and they are gonna be majorly disapointed when we dont win the cup.

Rant over.
    Not much difference between that and many bandwagon English cricket supporters during and just after the Ashes.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Matteh
    It's like when England actually win the Ashes everyone suddenly becomes a cricket expert...
    Ay, beat me to it.

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information