• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group F: Brazil, Croatia, Australia, Japan

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I think its a given that Kewell will start off the Bench for at least the Japan game...

will leave us with a Midfield of Cahill, Grella, Culina and Bresciano...

The impact of Kewell off the bench could be lethal especially if he comes on with Kennedy and swings a few crosses in against the vertically challenged Japanese defenders...

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
FaaipDeOiad said:
Pretty worrying stuff for Australia tonight. 3-1 seems like a good score, but a 1-1 draw was on the cards for a long time, and the play was generally shoddy given the quality of the opposition. Defence looked really loose again, much like in the first half against Holland, and against a more capable attacking side we might well have conceded a few more goals aside from Neill's blunder.

Elsewhere, Aloisi and Kennedy were the most impressive. Aloisi played a good 90 minutes and could have scored a few times, and Kennedy looked really dangerous the whole time he was on, and is certainly a much better option than Archie Thompson for mine. Kewell had some good touches in the first half on the rare occasions he got into the game, and Emerton was poor in the first half but good in the second. Cahill was quiet, as was Sterjovski despite the goal, and Skoko.

It's not a hugely important game obviously, and we weren't playing our first team, but it's a big concern heading into the world cup when a team like Liechtenstein gets behind your defence half a dozen times in 90 minutes. They were actually pretty solid at the back, and scoring 3 times is a nice effort, but defending has been the obvious focus of the buildup for Australia from the start, and it doesn't seem like there's been huge improvements.
I agree with all of that. At least now I think we`ve found all the areas we need to fix, now we just need to fix them. :)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Cloete said:
There's no denying they're a good team but I just think they're a bit overrated.

Certainly a top defence and Stipe is no mug at all, but does Prso, Olic and Klasnic really scare me? I'd have to say no. Kranjcar has put on a bit of weight and I don't think he'll perform. The screams of nepotism will overawe him when he underperforms just a bit and they really don't offer much else in midfield.

I can see how the like the counterattack though. Very strng backline and not much in midfield means they want to get it out as quickly as possible. Only player I worry about to give penalties is Moore, Neill has turned into a very good player while Moore still has a tendancy to dive in.

There's no denying they're a good team and that they'll be difficutl to beat, I just don't think they're as good as everyone thinks player for player. Their '98 team had alot more class, particularly in midfield. Should be great to watch anyway. :)
Player for player, they`re not as good as other teams. But their team-work IMO, is exceptional, always backing each other up, their wingers and counter-attack play has been fabulous.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Blewy said:
I think its a given that Kewell will start off the Bench for at least the Japan game...

will leave us with a Midfield of Cahill, Grella, Culina and Bresciano...

The impact of Kewell off the bench could be lethal especially if he comes on with Kennedy and swings a few crosses in against the vertically challenged Japanese defenders...
Wouldn't that mean either we have Popovic in a three man defence or Sterjovski gets another start. I rather start with Kennedy myself then those two options.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I thought Croatia were quite unlucky against Spain, 1-1 would have been fair. Injuries a big worry though, we need Simunic.

Craig

World Traveller
Nnanden said:
I agree with all of that. At least now I think we`ve found all the areas we need to fix, now we just need to fix them. :)
'We?'

I thought you were supporting Croatia?

Cloete

International Captain
Nnanden said:
Player for player, they`re not as good as other teams. But their team-work IMO, is exceptional, always backing each other up, their wingers and counter-attack play has been fabulous.
I'll give you that. :)

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
marc71178 said:
Have to say a side with width will like it IMO - 69 year old full backs and a narrow midfield....
Very few teams have genuine width. It's not only England that try to cram as many central midfielders into a side as humanly possible.

Travis_Teh

International Regular
Once more, ignoring all other posts ..... one would have to be mentally challenged to think Brazil would not make it through from this group.

To join Brazil ..... being Australian I will be biased and say the Aussies.... but realistically....the ultimate dark horses in Croatia will probably go through.'

Well done to Australia for making the finals regardless of results :D

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
broncoman said:
Just thought id bring up my current dislike for average Australian who has all of a sudden become a football expert. It's great people are taking notice of the game in the country now but a lot of people who dont know a lot about football seem to have unrealistic expectation. Like people ring up the radio when they are discussing it and they are like "yeh go Aussies, yay, Harry Kewell hes so good" etc... they dont really have much idea and they are gonna be majorly disapointed when we dont win the cup.

Rant over.
Not much difference between that and many bandwagon English cricket supporters during and just after the Ashes.

Travis_Teh

International Regular
Jono said:
Not much difference between that and many bandwagon English cricket supporters during and just after the Ashes.
Weird, I always wrote Broncoman off as an outback hick with no idea about decent football ;)

*cough*

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A joke my brother showed me, apologies if you've seen it before.

It is just before the Australia v Brazil Group game at the World Cup. Ronaldino goes into the Brazilian changing room to find all his teammates looking a bit glum. "What's up?" he asks. "Well, we're having trouble getting motivated for this game. We know it's important but it's only Australia. They're sh*te and we can't be bothered". Ronaldino looks at them and says "Well, I reckon I can beat these by myself, you lads go down the pub."

So Ronaldino goes out to play Australia by himself and the rest of the Brazilian team go off for a few jars. After a few pints they wonder how the game is going, so they get the landlord to put the teletext on. A big cheer goes up as the screen reads "Brazil 1 - Australia 0 (Ronaldino 10 minutes)".

He is beating Australia all by himself!

Anyway, a few more pints later and the game is forgotten until someone remembers "It must be full time now, let's see how he got on". They put the teletext on. "Result from the Stadium "Brazil 1 (Ronaldino 10 minutes) - Australia 1 (Viduka 89 minutes)".

They can't believe it, he has single handedly got a draw against Australia!!

They rush back to the Stadium to congratulate Ronaldino. They find him in the dressing room, still in his gear, sat with his head in his hands. He refuses to look at them. "I've let you down, I've let you down."

"Don't be daft, you got a draw against Australia, all by yourself. And they only scored at the very, very end!"

"No, No, I have, I've let you down... I got sent off after 12 minutes"

Travis_Teh

International Regular
andyc said:
A joke my brother showed me, apologies if you've seen it before.

It is just before the Australia v Brazil Group game at the World Cup. Ronaldino goes into the Brazilian changing room to find all his teammates looking a bit glum. "What's up?" he asks. "Well, we're having trouble getting motivated for this game. We know it's important but it's only Australia. They're sh*te and we can't be bothered". Ronaldino looks at them and says "Well, I reckon I can beat these by myself, you lads go down the pub."

So Ronaldino goes out to play Australia by himself and the rest of the Brazilian team go off for a few jars. After a few pints they wonder how the game is going, so they get the landlord to put the teletext on. A big cheer goes up as the screen reads "Brazil 1 - Australia 0 (Ronaldino 10 minutes)".

He is beating Australia all by himself!

Anyway, a few more pints later and the game is forgotten until someone remembers "It must be full time now, let's see how he got on". They put the teletext on. "Result from the Stadium "Brazil 1 (Ronaldino 10 minutes) - Australia 1 (Viduka 89 minutes)".

They can't believe it, he has single handedly got a draw against Australia!!

They rush back to the Stadium to congratulate Ronaldino. They find him in the dressing room, still in his gear, sat with his head in his hands. He refuses to look at them. "I've let you down, I've let you down."

"Don't be daft, you got a draw against Australia, all by yourself. And they only scored at the very, very end!"

"No, No, I have, I've let you down... I got sent off after 12 minutes"

Haha, awseome.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Travis_Teh said:
Weird, I always wrote Broncoman off as an outback hick with no idea about decent football ;)

*cough*
You got the outback hick part right.. :p :p