• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group F: Brazil, Croatia, Australia, Japan

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cloete said:
I think Croatia are way overrated though. They really don't have a team that's anything special.

They have a solid backline but they lack ALOT in midfield and are really nothing great up front at all. They had a great qualifying but I think Sweden must have been poor to lose at home to that team. It really doesn't offer anything special in attack IMO.
I'd underestimate them at your peril. They also recently dicked Argentina. They'll defend deep & counter quickly. The coach's son is supposed to be a real talent & with Australia's er, combative, defending I can see Rangers' queen of the swan dive, Prso, winning free-kicks galore.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty worrying stuff for Australia tonight. 3-1 seems like a good score, but a 1-1 draw was on the cards for a long time, and the play was generally shoddy given the quality of the opposition. Defence looked really loose again, much like in the first half against Holland, and against a more capable attacking side we might well have conceded a few more goals aside from Neill's blunder.

Elsewhere, Aloisi and Kennedy were the most impressive. Aloisi played a good 90 minutes and could have scored a few times, and Kennedy looked really dangerous the whole time he was on, and is certainly a much better option than Archie Thompson for mine. Kewell had some good touches in the first half on the rare occasions he got into the game, and Emerton was poor in the first half but good in the second. Cahill was quiet, as was Sterjovski despite the goal, and Skoko.

It's not a hugely important game obviously, and we weren't playing our first team, but it's a big concern heading into the world cup when a team like Liechtenstein gets behind your defence half a dozen times in 90 minutes. They were actually pretty solid at the back, and scoring 3 times is a nice effort, but defending has been the obvious focus of the buildup for Australia from the start, and it doesn't seem like there's been huge improvements.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
broncoman said:
imo its become a lot like Melbourne cup time every year when every person in Australia is a racing expert...
It's like when England actually win the Ashes everyone suddenly becomes a cricket expert...

Cloete

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
I'd underestimate them at your peril. They also recently dicked Argentina. They'll defend deep & counter quickly. The coach's son is supposed to be a real talent & with Australia's er, combative, defending I can see Rangers' queen of the swan dive, Prso, winning free-kicks galore.
There's no denying they're a good team but I just think they're a bit overrated.

Certainly a top defence and Stipe is no mug at all, but does Prso, Olic and Klasnic really scare me? I'd have to say no. Kranjcar has put on a bit of weight and I don't think he'll perform. The screams of nepotism will overawe him when he underperforms just a bit and they really don't offer much else in midfield.

I can see how the like the counterattack though. Very strng backline and not much in midfield means they want to get it out as quickly as possible. Only player I worry about to give penalties is Moore, Neill has turned into a very good player while Moore still has a tendancy to dive in.

There's no denying they're a good team and that they'll be difficutl to beat, I just don't think they're as good as everyone thinks player for player. Their '98 team had alot more class, particularly in midfield. Should be great to watch anyway. :)

ash chaulk

International Captain
we looked dodgy down back how much room are we going to give up. Popovic not his best. Glad the A-League boys got a run and Kennedy looked good liked his work always applying presure and a good goal.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
pretty poor display, i only watched the 2nd half though.
I like the look of Kennedy, i think he could be a better option than Aloisi coming off the bench against Japan, if he can get between the short defenders in the air then he could pinh a goal.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
We really missed Grella and Culina patrolling the midfield and chopping out the defence. A back three with Emerton and Lazaridis providing cover will not be used in the world cup.

Poor result but it was basically the 2nd XI, Neill, Moore, Emerton and some match fitness for underdone players. The own goal was unfortunate but still the Lichtenstenians caused us trouble on the break, the Japanese would be licking their lips with our ultra slow back line.

Kennedy looked promising. He is only 23/24 so one for the future if he doesn't get a gig in the WC off the bench. 195cm, good leap, strong in the air, good touch on the ground. It will be interesting to see how he fairs in the Bundesliga next season.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Kennedy was very threatening when he came on.. A few people were dissapointing this morning.. Emerton IMO is a bit of a hog and always gets found out, Skoko was very quiet.. Popovic, well please he should not be in this team..

As has been said though im not overly concerned, as the majority of that team is the 2nd XI, Viduka, Grella, Culina, Bresciano, Schwazer all not there... Cahill played well, and it was also good to notice Nick Killkenny come off the bench late.. He is now OFFICIALLY an Australian :)

Simon

he should be pushing for a starting spot in the next couple of years...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
broncoman said:
i think Guus has already said he'll be on the bench against Japan.
If this tournament is the same as the last one, teams should have their entire non-starting squad available on the bench.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
broncoman said:
i think Guus has already said he'll be on the bench against Japan.
But every player not selected will be on the bench - doesn't mean he'll get any time on the pitch.

Simon

marc71178 said:
But every player not selected will be on the bench - doesn't mean he'll get any time on the pitch.
id be surprised if he doesnt get on the pitch, the way the coaching staff have been talking he could be the "secret weapon" against Japain.

Craig

World Traveller
Surprised that nobody mentioned Spain's nice 2-1 win over Croatia since Croatia are in the same group. Ibanez's own goal was :laugh:

Craig

World Traveller
Any guess at the Brazilian line-up against Crotia in their game one:

------------------------------------------ Dida ----------------------------------------------------------

------------------------- Cafu ------------ Juan ------- Lucio ---------- Roberto Carlos ----------------------

---------------------------Emerson ------------- Ronaldinho ------- Ze Roberto ----------------

-------------------------------------------------- Kaka -----------------------------------------

--------------------------------------- Ronaldo ----------------- Adriano ------------------------------

?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That's the one we've been lead to believe.

Have to say a side with width will like it IMO - 69 year old full backs and a narrow midfield....

Craig

World Traveller
Aternatively is to play the following in midfield:

----------------------------------------- Emerson -------- Gilberto SIlva ------------------------------

--------------------------- Juilo Baptisa ---------- Kaka -------------- Ronaldinho ----------------

Then pick your choice as your lone striker.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
broncoman said:
he should be pushing for a starting spot in the next couple of years...
Killkenny should be in the squad infront of Wilshere. I actually wouldn't mind Kennedy starting and Kewell off the bench and Sterjovski no where to be seen. He also 25, for the guys that asked, very impressive display in what was a disappointing match. Both Aloisi and Kewell looked very under done.