Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Group F: Brazil, Croatia, Australia, Japan

I think Croatia are way overrated though. They really don't have a team that's anything special.

They have a solid backline but they lack ALOT in midfield and are really nothing great up front at all. They had a great qualifying but I think Sweden must have been poor to lose at home to that team. It really doesn't offer anything special in attack IMO.
    CWXI Regular - Member of CW Black

Blacks ftw

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Just thought id bring up my current dislike for average Australian who has all of a sudden become a football expert. It's great people are taking notice of the game in the country now but a lot of people who dont know a lot about football seem to have unrealistic expectation. Like people ring up the radio when they are discussing it and they are like "yeh go Aussies, yay, Harry Kewell hes so good" etc... they dont really have much idea and they are gonna be majorly disapointed when we dont win the cup.

Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoman
    Just thought id bring up my current dislike for average Australian who has all of a sudden become a football expert. It's great people are taking notice of the game in the country now but a lot of people who dont know a lot about football seem to have unrealistic expectation. Like people ring up the radio when they are discussing it and they are like "yeh go Aussies, yay, Harry Kewell hes so good" etc... they dont really have much idea and they are gonna be majorly disapointed when we dont win the cup.

Rant over.
    I know what you mean..

I had a discussion with a guy at work the other day who knows absolutley nothing about football yet he was telling me that Australia will go very close to winning it.. I asked him why he thinks that and he said because "Harry Kewell has the experience of playing in front of big crowds".. I Burst into laughter and walked off...

Quote Originally Posted by Blewy
    I know what you mean..

I had a discussion with a guy at work the other day who knows absolutley nothing about football yet he was telling me that Australia will go very close to winning it.. I asked him why he thinks that and he said because "Harry Kewell has the experience of playing in front of big crowds".. I Burst into laughter and walked off...
    imo its become a lot like Melbourne cup time every year when every person in Australia is a racing expert...

I'd say Schwarzer, Neill, Grella, Cahill and Viduka are all more important to the side than Kewell is. Bresciano and Culina not far behind. I'm looking forward to the game tonight. Hopefully we see Beauchamp, Kennedy and I wouldn't mind having a look at Patafta for the hell of it.

Bresciano is the key man imo, when hes at his very best he is our best performer.

Bresciano plays at his best when he's got Kewell alongside him. Means he doesn't have to play on the left, and can roam around a little more in the middle of the park, where he's at his most dangerous.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

International Captain ash chaulk's Avatar
    i believe we'll make the 2nd round tho
    CW Black - The best team in the ComP

Proudly supporting:
    • Wasim Ranamadruta
      Ahkeep Myteefina Jahbesidabed
      Ramatunga Downathroata

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    So ash chaulk is the first ever AFL Last Man Standing.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    My favourite claim is that Viduka will win the golden boot, personally. I'd back Schwarzer to do it first.

Anyway, Kewell at his best is still probably the most dangerous player Australia has. However, there's several players who are more consistent and more likely to have a big impact in any given game. Kewell will certainly be a more dangerous proposition if he's not getting so much attention because the likes of Bresciano and Cahill are performing.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Quote Originally Posted by Blewy
    I know what you mean..

funny that, that has happened at my work too... its very sad sometimes, but it is good that more people are taking notice of the sport but yes they wilbe very dissapointed.
    Career cricket
    311 wickets @16.54 and 3021 runs @ 34.56 from 176 games over 11 years H.S 178*
    Member of the CW Green
    Cricket Web Career:(end of season 11) FC: 7404 runs @ 30.85 H.S 253* : One Day: 7331 runs @ 48.55 H.S 155*
    Off season: FC 1209 @ 52.51 & One Day: 921 @ 92.10
    COD4: djs clan
    World Of Warcraft: just sensational

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloete
    I think Croatia are way overrated though. They really don't have a team that's anything special.

They have a solid backline but they lack ALOT in midfield and are really nothing great up front at all. They had a great qualifying but I think Sweden must have been poor to lose at home to that team. It really doesn't offer anything special in attack IMO.
    I'd underestimate them at your peril. They also recently dicked Argentina. They'll defend deep & counter quickly. The coach's son is supposed to be a real talent & with Australia's er, combative, defending I can see Rangers' queen of the swan dive, Prso, winning free-kicks galore.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Pretty worrying stuff for Australia tonight. 3-1 seems like a good score, but a 1-1 draw was on the cards for a long time, and the play was generally shoddy given the quality of the opposition. Defence looked really loose again, much like in the first half against Holland, and against a more capable attacking side we might well have conceded a few more goals aside from Neill's blunder.

Elsewhere, Aloisi and Kennedy were the most impressive. Aloisi played a good 90 minutes and could have scored a few times, and Kennedy looked really dangerous the whole time he was on, and is certainly a much better option than Archie Thompson for mine. Kewell had some good touches in the first half on the rare occasions he got into the game, and Emerton was poor in the first half but good in the second. Cahill was quiet, as was Sterjovski despite the goal, and Skoko.

It's not a hugely important game obviously, and we weren't playing our first team, but it's a big concern heading into the world cup when a team like Liechtenstein gets behind your defence half a dozen times in 90 minutes. They were actually pretty solid at the back, and scoring 3 times is a nice effort, but defending has been the obvious focus of the buildup for Australia from the start, and it doesn't seem like there's been huge improvements.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by broncoman
    imo its become a lot like Melbourne cup time every year when every person in Australia is a racing expert...
    It's like when England actually win the Ashes everyone suddenly becomes a cricket expert...
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I'd underestimate them at your peril. They also recently dicked Argentina. They'll defend deep & counter quickly. The coach's son is supposed to be a real talent & with Australia's er, combative, defending I can see Rangers' queen of the swan dive, Prso, winning free-kicks galore.
    There's no denying they're a good team but I just think they're a bit overrated.

Certainly a top defence and Stipe is no mug at all, but does Prso, Olic and Klasnic really scare me? I'd have to say no. Kranjcar has put on a bit of weight and I don't think he'll perform. The screams of nepotism will overawe him when he underperforms just a bit and they really don't offer much else in midfield.

I can see how the like the counterattack though. Very strng backline and not much in midfield means they want to get it out as quickly as possible. Only player I worry about to give penalties is Moore, Neill has turned into a very good player while Moore still has a tendancy to dive in.

There's no denying they're a good team and that they'll be difficutl to beat, I just don't think they're as good as everyone thinks player for player. Their '98 team had alot more class, particularly in midfield. Should be great to watch anyway.

International Captain ash chaulk's Avatar
    we looked dodgy down back how much room are we going to give up. Popovic not his best. Glad the A-League boys got a run and Kennedy looked good liked his work always applying presure and a good goal.

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information