• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group F: Brazil, Croatia, Australia, Japan

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I still vividly remember one Arsenal - Liverpool game 4 or 5 years ago, where Poll went on TV before the game vowing that any discussion after the game wouldn't be about him. How wrong he was (3 reds, all undeserved). I've thought he's rubbish ever since.
who was the ref who sent off gio van bronkhorst for arsenal when playing against liverpool for supposed diving, turned out gio got hacked down by henchoz i think it was, one of the worst decisions i have ever seen, although im pretty sure it wasnt poll.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
sledger said:
who was the ref who sent off gio van bronkhorst for arsenal when playing against liverpool for supposed diving, turned out gio got hacked down by henchoz i think it was, one of the worst decisions i have ever seen, although im pretty sure it wasnt poll.
I remember two of the reds in the game I'm thinking of. McAllister off for Liverpool and Viera for Arsenal, can't remember the other one though.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Samuel_Vimes said:
Mind, Oz' second goal was a foot offside. Inept refereeing, not biased.

Well. Congrats to the nation whose people care about football for two weeks in 32 years.
That's more or less what I said. World class refereeing would have picked it up - wasn't calling bias (in that post...)

And why the cheap shot? It's the first time we've had reason to celebrate so much. It'd be more of a shame if the Socceroos did this well and didn't get the support they have.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Mr Casson said:
That's more or less what I said. World class refereeing would have picked it up - wasn't calling bias (in that post...)

And why the cheap shot? It's the first time we've had reason to celebrate so much. It'd be more of a shame if the Socceroos did this well and didn't get the support they have.
Same reason as everyone seems to hate the US team (see the Whose failure are you supporting? thread). Come January, most of you will have forgotten one can kick a round ball, the A-League will be bankrupt in 2008, and Australia will win the Asian Cup without anyone caring.

(sorry. Supported Croatia because of the above, which is completely biased and utter nonsense, and I probably shouldn't post right now. But still...mmf.)

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Samuel_Vimes said:
Same reason as everyone seems to hate the US team (see the Whose failure are you supporting? thread). Come January, most of you will have forgotten one can kick a round ball, the A-League will be bankrupt in 2008, and Australia will win the Asian Cup without anyone caring.

(sorry. Supported Croatia because of the above, which is completely biased and utter nonsense, and I probably shouldn't post right now. But still...mmf.)
Just remember, when a photoshopped image of you and Kalac having KBS appears mysteriously on the Internet...

It was me.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
A great game to watch, one that kept the interest for the drama rather than the quality of the play, but possibly the game I've enjoyed most!

Kalac is seriously useless. How the hell is he anywhere near the squad, much less the team?! John Filan is an infinitely better keeper than him.

& hats off to Mr Poll. Simunic is surely a future trivia question: which player, playing against the country of his birth, received three yellow cards & got away with a Rugby tackle in the box? :laugh:

Well played Oz. I actually cheered when Harry scored. Involuntarily, but a cheer anyway!

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Doubt Graham Poll will be getting many more games in this World Cup, absolutely moronic display from supposedly are best official.

Sad to see Croatia knocked out, nepotism aside I actually thought over the three games they were the second best team in the group and if they had a striker worth any salt they would have progressed. Credit to Australia though even with Kalac trying to lose the game for them they always stuck out and showed great fighting qualities throughout the tournament.

pasag

RTDAS
Samuel_Vimes said:

Talk about ****ing on a parade

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Kalac is seriously useless. How the hell is he anywhere near the squad, much less the team?! John Filan is an infinitely better keeper than him.
Tbf, Filan isn't too hot either. I was a huge fan of his, but this season he was out of his depth whenever he got in ahead of Pollit. Not quick enough (these days.)

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Tbf, Filan isn't too hot either. I was a huge fan of his, but this season he was out of his depth whenever he got in ahead of Pollit. Not quick enough (these days.)
Filan is a clown, anyone who doubts me, watch some old videos of him in action for Blackburn Rovers. Most of them are ****ing horror shows.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Filan nothing special, but he probably should have been in the squad as the third keeper, but that would mean we would have three keepers over 30.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
steds said:
Well I guess you've seen more of him this year than me, but suffice to say that Hiddink's rep as master tactician has taken a bit of a knock with Schwarzer's non-selection.

Decent substitutions tho.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Oh wow. What a game.

To be honest, Australia would have been terribly unlucky to lose the game, given a pair of blatant penalties and far more chances, and it was simply relief in the end when Kewell scored, but it's an amazing effort to make the second round.

Kewell had a simply brilliant second half after being relatively quiet in the first, and Kennedy showed for the third time out of three caps that he makes a massive difference to Australia when he comes on towards the end. Viduka had another good game, as did Lucas Neill, who has surely been one of the players of the tournament so far, and Australia's best by a huge distance.

The second worst person on the pitch was Kalac, beaten only by the referee. As if missing two penalties wasn't bad enough, he then gave Simunic a third yellow. At this point though, it's hard to care.