• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group F: Brazil, Croatia, Australia, Japan

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Something to give cheer to Australian fans.

If Ghana beat the USA in the final round of matches, Australia swing a draw or a win against Croatia, and Italy draw with the Czech Republic, Australia will meet Ghana in the second round, while Brazil meet Italy. Should Australia progress past Ghana, they'll play the winner of G1 vs H2, which given France's poor start could concievably be Korea vs the likes of Ukraine or Tunisia. Ghana are obviously a good side, but you couldn't really hope for an easier path to the semis than that, should Ghana top Group E.

Certainly looks better than facing Italy followed by France, anyway.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never thought I'd live to see it but Aus deserved at least a draw tonight.

If it were not for a non match-fit Kewell, Aus would've been leading 2 -1 early in the 2nd half and Brazil, IMO, were history.

A European team wins this WC - not on merit but that's how the moons are aligned.

Italy are crap but FIFA needs an excuse to get the focus of the Serie A disgrace.

Eng are just as bad but are the 2006 version of 2002 Gemany.

Spain or Portugal may dive their way to victory unless they choke first.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
If it were not for a non match-fit Kewell, Aus would've been leading 2 -1 early in the 2nd half and Brazil, IMO, were history.
I assume you mean non-match fit in not being able to play from the start, rather than not fit enough to make an impact, because he wasn't even on early in the second half. That would be a pretty big assumption to make.

A European team wins this WC - not on merit but that's how the moons are aligned.
¿Qué? :huh: :unsure: :mellow:

Italy are crap but FIFA needs an excuse to get the focus of the Serie A disgrace.

Eng are just as bad but are the 2006 version of 2002 Gemany.

Spain or Portugal may dive their way to victory unless they choke first.
That's just ********.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
steds said:
I assume you mean non-match fit in not being able to play from the start, rather than not fit enough to make an impact, because he wasn't even on early in the second half. That would be a pretty big assumption to make.

¿Qué? :huh: :unsure: :mellow:

That's just ********.
Kewell has hardly played of late (due to a groin injury)

Aus, if you've noticed, has few world class players. If Kewell was even hal fit, he'd play more minutes.

So, I assume youre saying Ital and Eng arent crap and Spain and Portugal dont choke>

steds

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Kewell has hardly played of late (due to a groin injury)

Aus, if you've noticed, has few world class players. If Kewell was even hal fit, he'd play more minutes.
But to say they'd definitely score 2 goals against Brazil if he was fully fit is a bit hopeful.

And I was saying Italy and England are decent teams (maybe not awesome) who haven't played to their potential and to dismiss Spain and Portugal purely as divers/chokers is pretty stupid.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
He's a very good player who's played well for Liverpool this season.
Though prior to his one good season, he was too concerned of just chewing the fat and doing sweet FA other than getting fat and losing his pace.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Best losing match from an Australian team I've seen. Hiddink certainly has them well drilled and apart from the first 10 minutes of the second half we held our own. Lucas Neill was huge.

After watching Croatia fire blanks against the Japanese I'm feeling a little bit more confident on progression. Finishing will need to be better, I can see a flukey goal from a set piece deciding it for either team.

Kewell went nuts with the referee at the end. Do FIFA dish out a suspension or some token fine for that sort of thing?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Kewell certainly went off. Viduka was obviously pretty annoyed about the refereeing at the end as well, though he declined to comment directly and just said that "everyone saw" what happened. I think a suspension is possible if what he said was bad enough, though I can't recall it happening before.