• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group F: Brazil, Croatia, Australia, Japan

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Don't make yourself look a total numpty* by having a go at Marc over that one, for crying out loud - oh, too late. Never mind, perhaps no-one will notice unless someone else brings it up in gereral conversa... oh dear, sorry about that.

Leichtenstein are ranked somewhere around the level of Burton Albion reserves. Showing your class against them is not all it's cracked up to be - really.

*Numpty - Noun

a) Someone who (sometimes unwittingly) by speech or action demonstrates a lack of knowledge or misconception of a particular subject or situation to the amusement of others.

b) A good humoured admonition, a term of endearment

c) A reckless, absent minded or unwise person

d) "No. That wisnae wit she meant, ya big numpty!"

e) i.e. "Silly billy", "You big dafty"

f) "That numpty's driving with no lights on!"

;)
They don't have to be a good team for you to perform in an impressive manner against them. It was his first cap, and he played well, it doesn't really matter who he was playing against. He was in everything from the time he came on, particularly when compared to (this is the good part... wait for it) the likes of Archie Thompson.

If someone went on about his performance as though it made him an international star, Marc might have a point, but comparing his effort against a weak team to the efforts of other players in the same game and therefore judging that he was worthy of a run in the world cup is hardly unreasonable. I'd suggest Guus agrees, as he then went and picked him ahead of Thompson to come on in the next match.

Really, Marc's comment was only so annoying because it came in a long series of posts bagging Australia and Australian fans, which is something he's been doing consistently ever since this world cup forum opened up. Yes, we get it, England are better. Now can we enjoy watching our team? Thanks.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
They don't have to be a good team for you to perform in an impressive manner against them. It was his first cap, and he played well, it doesn't really matter who he was playing against. He was in everything from the time he came on, particularly when compared to (this is the good part... wait for it) the likes of Archie Thompson.

If someone went on about his performance as though it made him an international star, Marc might have a point, but comparing his effort against a weak team to the efforts of other players in the same game and therefore judging that he was worthy of a run in the world cup is hardly unreasonable. I'd suggest Guus agrees, as he then went and picked him ahead of Thompson to come on in the next match.

Really, Marc's comment was only so annoying because it came in a long series of posts bagging Australia and Australian fans, which is something he's been doing consistently ever since this world cup forum opened up. Yes, we get it, England are better. Now can we enjoy watching our team? Thanks.
Ah, sleep deprivation. Makes us all a bit touchy.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Interesting match. I spent most of the second half planning an incredibly witty "Australia apply to join CONCACAF" spoof, only for Kawaguchi to do what anyone who ever saw him at Pompey had been expecting all along and make a horrendous mess of, well, I'm not really sure what he was trying to do. The Japan goal clearly shouldn't have stood, but they then had a cast-iron pen turned down.

Champagne moment of the day was Johnny "I used to play for Coventry" Aloisi making it 3-1 to send my housemate ecstatic as his correct score bet had come off, alongside Japan HT/Australia FT.

Now please break Robinho, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Kaka, and anyone else you fancy.

archie mac

International Coach
On the news here they are reporting that the Ref. admitted he made an error in allowing the Japanese goal.

Although I agree Cahill was very lucky not to give away a penalty in the box, at 1-1.

Cloete

International Captain
Australia
Australia
Australia
Australia
Australia
Australia
Australia
Australia
Australia
Australia
Australia
Australia

TIMMY CAHILL!!! WHAT A LEGEND!!! WHAT A LEGEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW GOOD IS HE?!!?!

WE WON!!! :D:D I HATE THEM FOR MAKING ME WAIT SO LONG UNTIL THEY WON IT :D

For the record, the referee apologised to Schwarzer for the challenge, he said he had made the wrong decision. As for the penalty shouts, it aws a penalty by Cahill IMO. Interestingly he was already on a yellow so surely he would have been sent if a penalty was awarded. Australia were BY FAR the better team though. Kawaguchi came up with some amazing saves throughout.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Impressive win by Australia puts them in good shape to qualify from the group along with Brazil.

ash chaulk

International Captain
sucked in japan u deserved to lose you wannabe olympic divers

kennedy was lively again mrrrr kennnnneeedddyyy.......................kennedy

everyone was awesum i dnt like wilkshire tho and emerton looked slow again

Cloete

International Captain
ash chaulk said:
sucked in japan u deserved to lose you wannabe olympic divers

kennedy was lively again mrrrr kennnnneeedddyyy.......................kennedy

everyone was awesum i dnt like wilkshire tho and emerton looked slow again
Agreed. Harry managed one dive, but the Japanes midfield dived ALL THE TIME. Eventually the ref just let us get away with a fair bit in our tackles because of their constant diving I think. Either that or he was just guessing over some of his decisions...

As for Viduka, he was jumped on EVERY TIME we played it long. I'm serious, the guy was in or on his back the whole damn game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
benchmark00 said:
Convenient.
No, it's called having exams at the start of the World Cup.

Either way, if the pundits (including a pretty biased in favour of it being a foul Tikka Tel) couldn't decide for sure after umpteen replays, you cannot moan about it being a shocking decision.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
woo hoo

great result for Aus - would've done game here no good at all to fall at first hurdle on back of dubious decision

amazing to hear cars honking their horns at 1 a.m. to celebrate a victory over Japan in Germany by a team playing what, in reality, is our 4th ranked winter sport

now if we can only have 11 players on the pitch for the Croatia match then who knows

BTW Scaly, on the basis of their first match, whilst Liechtenstein might be crap, at least theyre >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> entertaining than the English

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What can you say that hasnt already been said!

Tim Cahill what a super star, Lucas Neill a brilliant performance in defence and Viduka was great too...

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
I didn't see it, but heard the commentators talk about it.

They couldn't make their minds up as to if it were a foul or not, so you have to go with the refs interpretation from where he stood.
Apparently the ref said to Schwarzer that he erred and that God was apparently on his side, for what happened didn't affect the result.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Woohooo it was a great match guyz..
aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi

well Guss is a legend, i rest my case..