• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group E: Italy, Ghana, USA, Czech Republic

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair to the Czechs, they only have 10 men. I thought Italy's second half was pretty shocking really, but they weren't really trying too hard for a goal. Just sitting on 1-0 seems stupid to me, but I guess that's why I'm not the Italy manager eh?

Looks like Australia will play Italy if we get through, then.

Craig

World Traveller
Pavel Nedved reckon he could retire now, if he does well then I think he made a mistake in playing on.

Not that I care too much since he plays/played for two clubs I dispise a lot.

Craig

World Traveller
Pedro Delgado said:
I know, he's awful. The sooner he's put out to pasture the better. Patronising buffoon.
So what did you think of Ron Atkinson then when he made his racist comment to Marcel Desailly a few years ago then, even when he was manager, he was certaintly never racist?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Craig said:
So what did you think of Ron Atkinson then when he made his racist comment to Marcel Desailly a few years ago then, even when he was manager, he was certaintly never racist?
I think Fat Ron's comments kinda give lie to him not being a racist. IIRC he called Desailly "a ****ing lazy, thick ******" & then tried to excuse himself by saying he thought the microphone was off. Well so ****ing what, frankly? I'm glad the varnished tool is a pariah now.

Aragones should've lost his job too (after calling Thierry Henry a "black ****"), but remains his national team's coach. Difference in attitudes there between Spain & England, possibly?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Aragones should've lost his job too (after calling Thierry Henry a "black ****"), but remains his national team's coach. Difference in attitudes there between Spain & England, possibly?
Of course, hence the reason why Aragones job was never in question.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
US hard done by with the penalty but without Reyna for most of the match they were never likely to pull off the win.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Craig said:
How is calling Marcel a ****ing lazy thick n*****, not a racist insult? How do we know that, even though he bought Yorke and clearly rated him as a player, he didn't call him ****ing lazy thick n***** behind his back?

His excuse seemed to be "I thought the microphones were off" 8-)
I care not if he nurtured and produced some of the greatest black talent this country has ever seen, his attitude is out-of-date, ignorant and lazy at best, racist at worst, and I'm glad he isn't getting paid vast sums of money to spout it when the microphones are off.

If Marcel ever sees him in the street I hope he gives him a Spotters Badge, right on the nose.

***t.

Craig

World Traveller
TT Boy said:
Of course, hence the reason why Aragones job was never in question.
The very small fines they hand out.

Why even bother? But if it happened in England, Blatter would come down on the FA like a house of bricks.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
The very small fines they hand out.

Why even bother? But if it happened in England, Blatter would come down on the FA like a house of bricks.
Because it is a completely different cultural, Spain is a not a multicultural/faith society. UEFA can not expect them to come under the same precedent as other more diverse countries, sure that means one rule for one but put it this way if the Spanish coach was getting his leg over with any old tart especially a Muslim one at that he would be for the high horse but in this country, adultery means ****. Hell are new manager Steve McClaren has already been playing away from home.

Sid Lowe's article for the Guardian, principally concurs with my point but in a more articulate and precise manner.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1353008,00.html
A good read.

Craig

World Traveller
TT Boy said:
Because it is a completely different cultural, Spain is a not a multicultural/faith society. UEFA can not expect them to come under the same precedent as other more diverse countries, sure that means one rule for one but put it this way if the Spanish coach was getting his leg over with any old tart especially a Muslim one at that he would be for the high horse but in this country, adultery means ****. Hell are new manager Steve McClaren has already been playing away from home.

Sid Lowe's article for the Guardian, principally concurs with my point but in a more articulate and precise manner.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1353008,00.html
A good read.
So how are you supposed to erdicate the problem by handing out soft and token fines?

God only help the day an England manager tells a black player who didn't play well, a racist comment.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Ron told you that?

I remember him pleading his case, saying such things as 'some of my best friends are black'.

Good riddance - and as the slogan says: 'Kick It Out'.

Last edited: