• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group E: Italy, Ghana, USA, Czech Republic

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
If Italy can get their heads together during the interval they should win this game. McBride is the only logical danger and even with the good start by the US they still are shockingly inept at the back.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
De Rossi suffered a complete brain failure. Completely deserved sending off IMO.

USA inredibly lucky to get their first goal.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The game was ridiculous, ref lost the plot and come the end the two teams were like the walking wounded.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I thought it was pretty good really. Harsh refereeing obviously, but it was a pretty physical game and you can't argue with any of the cards except Pope's second yellow. USA did very well to manage a draw, and Keller pulled off some marvellous saves.

Group E is set for a great final day.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Interesting game. One positive is that Landon Donovan actually looked decent today given all his hype.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Seppos should have won. If we're to buy into the passive/active bollox then their 2nd goal should've stood.

Must be a pretty amazing tournament when I end up supporting America!

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought Italy were pretty poor, honestly thought they'd be better than that. The defence played well, with the exception of Zaccardo. Zambrotta = gun. I think the USA had the better of them, though.

I didn't see all of the Czech Republic game, but I'm guessing they were equally bad? But yeah, if Ghana beat the USA, one of the big teams is going home :D

Craig

World Traveller
Panucci > Zaccardo any time, any where, any pitch, any division, any country, any league. But he is not there because those two don't like each other and are too egositical to sort things out.

The decision to sub Totti seemed a strange one.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Seppos should have won. If we're to buy into the passive/active bollox then their 2nd goal should've stood.

Must be a pretty amazing tournament when I end up supporting America!
Me too - the elbow changed everything.

If you do something like that on the football pitch (it was totally and utterly deliberate) then you really ought to say bye-bye to the game for a long time (say 6 months).

If you did it in the street, you would most definitely be charged with assault, and would run the risk of serious consequences.

Craig

World Traveller
I had just got up and had switched the TV on and saw Totti being subbed (I hadn't obviously found out at that point De Rossi had been sent off), and wondered what the hell has happened here for Totti to be subbed, I thought he was injured or was on a yellow card and Lippi wanted him off to avoid a red.

I think De Rossie will be lucky to see anymore action in this tournament (other then his automatic one match ban).

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
Panucci > Zaccardo any time, any where, any pitch, any division, any country, any league. But he is not there because those two don't like each other and are too egositical to sort things out.

The decision to sub Totti seemed a strange one.
Panucci no chance, very good on the ball but he has no pace and no defensive aptitude, much rather see Massimo Oddo play in front of Zaccardo. Decent tank and a pretty good crosser of the ball but Lippi probably feels he is to attacking whereas Zaccardo is defensively more sound.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Craig said:
I think De Rossie will be lucky to see anymore action in this tournament (other then his automatic one match ban).
It was horrible & cowardly. Should be out for a long, long time.

Fair play to McBride, sucked it up & took it like a man. Quite a bit of claret:

Worst I've seen since 94 when there were a couple of awful ones, Tassotti (sp?) elbowed a Spanaird in the Quarter-Final, which the ref somehow missed & the BBC's latest signing Leonardo who actually broke Tab Ramos's skull with a elbow in the second round.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Worst sort of violent conduct at a World Cup has to be Harald Schumacher’s supposed 'challenge' on Patrick Battiston in Seville 82, nothing more than an assault.