• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group E: Italy, Ghana, USA, Czech Republic

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
US looked awful today. Granted I've seen them play much better. Looks like they never really recovered from Koller's goal.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
well, i have Pirlo to score the first and 2-0, so fingers crossed (i've made a profit anyway so long as Italy win)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I've gone 2-0 Italy, so 1-0 @ HT looking useful, bet-wise.

Another very good half of football. Italy playing a far more open style than in their recent past.

This is the first look I've had @ Toni & I was about to dismiss him as a carthorse, but then he showed great technique to bring the ball down for his thunderbolt.

The standard of footy has been worthy of the occasion in every game thus far. Well, every game not involving leaden-footed Anglo-Saxons, any road! :p

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Another good game involving an African nation and a tournament favourite, really. Italy were the better side by a reasonable distance, but Ghana put up a good fight. Much like the Ivory Coast lot, they'd be a good chance in a more friendly group. With Italy and the Czechs looking so good today though, there's not much chance of either of the other teams getting through.

Not a great prospect for Australia to face one of them in the second round either, if we get through.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
superkingdave said:
well, i have Pirlo to score the first and 2-0, so fingers crossed (i've made a profit anyway so long as Italy win)
Well somebody made a lot of money.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Great to see the Azzuri getting of to a good start, the czech's were also very good Rosicky looks good Arsenal are lucky to have him.

Blaze

Banned
I agree with what someone else said earlier in this thread, the Czech's have been the most impressive side so far. Anyone know how bad Koller's injury is?

Craig

World Traveller
BoyBrumby said:
I've gone 2-0 Italy, so 1-0 @ HT looking useful, bet-wise.

Another very good half of football. Italy playing a far more open style than in their recent past.

This is the first look I've had @ Toni & I was about to dismiss him as a carthorse, but then he showed great technique to bring the ball down for his thunderbolt.

The standard of footy has been worthy of the occasion in every game thus far. Well, every game not involving leaden-footed Anglo-Saxons, any road! :p
If somebody does score 31 goals in Serie A you know he can play just a bit and he was really unlucky not to score.

I felt Ghana were a little bit unlucky at times, with Kuffor (lucky laquinta was ruled offside or otherwise he would have been shown red) and Mensah having good games, before he lost his balance for laquinta to score his first goal for Italy and Richard Kingston had an impressive game for Ghana, and I hope he puts Buffon jersey away in a safe place, as that really will be something special to have in future years. If he wasn't in goal then IMO Italy could have scored 4 or 5 goals.

Another thing I would like to say is that for his price tag Michael Essien is a little bit over-rated, well he certaintly didn't have a great game (went MIA, and I know one game doesn't make somebody over-rated, but this is something I have noticed). And I thought the ref had a good game as well.

For Brumby (and anybody else) , Italy left back Fabio Grosso roughtly translates to Fat Fabio if I am correct :laugh:

Craig

World Traveller
Blaze said:
I agree with what someone else said earlier in this thread, the Czech's have been the most impressive side so far. Anyone know how bad Koller's injury is?
I heard he is out or at least for most of the World Cup.

I bet Monaco are pleased...

(For those who don't know Koller recently signed for 2003 CL runners up Monaco)

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Ghana had their chances, but were woeful anywhere near the box. Bit of a warning for Italy there, Essien had shooting practice all day, someone like Rosicky will make them pay. US of States were *****! Czechs were pretty good, their match against the Azzuri should be decent, the loser of which may well face Brazil. Could go to goal diff of course.

Oh and can I just say "Pimpong", name of the tourney so far surely.

Last edited:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BBC website has news on Koller.

Apparently it's not a tear - so he might be back before the end.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Jan Koller has been ruled out of the remaining group games but if the Czech Republic progress, he could be available for the latter rounds though it looks increasingly likely that Milan Baros will miss most of if not all of the tournament.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Good news, I like the Czechs.
I can think of one I'm not that keen on.

Famous last words....

"The Maxwell Empire is unsinkable...ble...ble...ble"

Favourite ever Private Eye headline....

"Maxwell's last flotation"

;)

Craig

World Traveller
In Italy related news, former Italian striker is set to join Sampdoria.

What is it with him and switching clubs every two minutes.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ghana playing some top Football, the Czech's better be careful they need to win to be sure of progressing.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
Ghana playing some top Football, the Czech's better be careful they need to win to be sure of progressing.
I don't think that being careful comes into it.

Being played off the park does though.