• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C: Argentina, Cote d'Ivoire, Serbia & Montenegro, Holland

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Sort of like the Group A thread, but with Group C instead.

Teams are Argentina, Cote d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast, for the un-French of us), Serbia and Montenegro and the Netherlands.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Netherlands and the Ivory Coast... (Argies out in the 1st Round) Hopefully

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ah, The Group of Death ™. Or is that Group E?

Head says Argentina & Holland, heart says anyone but yer Argies. S&M are no mugs, qualifying ahead of Spain & Holland waltzed thru the qualifiers. I think The Ivory Coast may struggle, although the presence of two Gooners in their probable XI secures my "pat on the head" interest, despite Chelski's king of the hand-ball up front.

Holland to top the group for mine, but I think yer Argies may already have done enough by the time they play.

1) Holland
2) Argentina
3) S&M
4) Ivory Coast

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Group F is a tough one too, on the GoD front.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the big two miss out in this group. It's not all that uncommon at a world cup to have one of the fancies sides bow out early, and while Italy and France are both a shot to do so for various reasons, I think this group is the other obvious chance.

I'll tip Argentina and Ivory Coast to go through, with Holland frustrated by draws against the weaker sides.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
ivory Coast and S&M hopefully.

For some reason i don't like the Dutch side at the moment. That reason may or may not be the horse.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Not really, since it only has 1 really good side, unlike others that have 2 or 3.
Depends on your view really. Comparing E and F, Czech Republic are obviously a good side, but they've not done anything at a major tournament for a decade, while Japan performed at the last WC and Croatia came 3rd in 98. USA and Ghana are certainly not significantly better than any of the teams in F.

This group obviously has two world class sides, but the rest are just competitive. This group is probably the toughest of the lot to draw as a weaker team, since you have to face two top quality nations to quality for the 16, but in terms of consistent quality across the 4 teams, E and F are both just as strong.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
Depends on your view really. Comparing E and F, Czech Republic are obviously a good side, but they've not done anything at a major tournament for a decade, while Japan performed at the last WC and Croatia came 3rd in 98. USA and Ghana are certainly not significantly better than any of the teams in F.

This group obviously has two world class sides, but the rest are just competitive. This group is probably the toughest of the lot to draw as a weaker team, since you have to face two top quality nations to quality for the 16, but in terms of consistent quality across the 4 teams, E and F are both just as strong.
Semis in Euro 2004. Bigger achievement than 2nd round at home in the WC IMHO.

Not that I rate them overly, mind.

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
I can't honestly believe the amount of people who didn't pick Arg & Hol
But then i think about it, both of the WCs i've seen a big teams have been knocked out in the first or second round

1998:Spain(group), England (Ro16)
2002:France, Portugal, Argentina(group) Italy(second)
2006:???????????????????????????

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Nepotism is probably clouding my judgement but I fancy Serbia and Argentina but as everyone has already said it is going to be tough, any of these teams could realistically beat one and another.

Craig

World Traveller
Argentina to choke once again, serves them right on leaving out Javier Zanetti and Walter Samuel, and I have reservations about Leo Messi considering how long he has been out injured for.

I think Cote d'Ivoire have a good squad and I would fancy them going through. Serbia to come 4th though, although hoping Stankovic and Kezman do well.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Argentina
2. Holland
3. Serbia & Montenegro
4. Cote d'Ivoire

I can definitely seeing Argentina bumming out, also S&M are massively underrated IMO - top defence, as seen in the qualifiers.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Craig said:
Argentina to choke once again, serves them right on leaving out Javier Zanetti and Walter Samuel, and I have reservations about Leo Messi considering how long he has been out injured for.

I think Cote d'Ivoire have a good squad and I would fancy them going through. Serbia to come 4th though, although hoping Stankovic and Kezman do well.
Even more surreal when you think Scaloni has made the squad. Even the most commited Iron would concede he's a tad plop.