• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C: Argentina, Cote d'Ivoire, Serbia & Montenegro, Holland

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Best side to not make it so far. Unlucky for them to be drawn in such a strong group. I don't feel sorry for them, but I'm sorry I won't be seeing much more of them, very entertaining.

Blaze

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
How were they comfortable exactly? They spent the last 20 minutes pinned in their own half, Van Persie cleared one off the line, and they could have given away a couple of penalties. Ivory Coast didn't create many great scoring chances, but they only needed one goal after all, and they could easily have got it.

I feel sorry for Ivory Coast because they've played two sensational games with an admirable style that would have got them through in any other group, and lost both of them. Easily the most unlucky team so far. Doesn't really have anything to do with them being African, though I'd say if there is a general trend it'd be because African sides tend to play a very entertaining brand of football, so obviously people like watching them. Nobody's going to shed a tear if Angola or Tunisia miss out, but Ghana and IC certainly.
Fair enough... Maybe comfortable wasn't the right word, but imo the better team won..

I enjoyed watching Senegal in 02 but haven't really been enthralled by Ivory Coast this time around.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Was at work all day since 3pm, caught the first half of Argentina and they were amazing. Didn't expect 6-0 though, what an effort. Tevez' goal was quality, and Cambiasso's was an absolutel masterclass in pass-and-move footy. I'm scared.

The Dutch seemed on form again from the highlights I've seen - shame to see Ivory Coast go out early though, they've got quality in a lot of positions, perhaps only lacking experience. They'll be back next time and could do very well indeed. :)

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Barney Rubble said:
Was at work all day since 3pm, caught the first half of Argentina and they were amazing. Didn't expect 6-0 though, what an effort. Tevez' goal was quality, and Cambiasso's was an absolutel masterclass in pass-and-move footy. I'm scared.

The Dutch seemed on form again from the highlights I've seen - shame to see Ivory Coast go out early though, they've got quality in a lot of positions, perhaps only lacking experience. They'll be back next time and could do very well indeed. :)
Isn't that what people said about Senegal though?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
What an amazing performance of absolute top class football by Argentina . 6-0 absolute thrashing .
Lionel Messi what a talent.

I think the favourites to win the World Cup have just shown their hand !

England need to lift their game significantly IMO to keep up with these guys. Otherwise it will be very disappointing for England .

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
If Taggart spent £7m, you'd expect he has some experience.
Well Arsene spent £12m on a guy who hadn't play a whole lot of first team games in the Championship.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
dontcloseyoureyes said:
Isn't that what people said about Senegal though?
Not really - they already went as far as they were ever going to. It'd be a crying shame if as far as the Ivory Coast ever got in a WC was the group stage.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
How were they comfortable exactly? They spent the last 20 minutes pinned in their own half, Van Persie cleared one off the line, and they could have given away a couple of penalties. Ivory Coast didn't create many great scoring chances, but they only needed one goal after all, and they could easily have got it.

I feel sorry for Ivory Coast because they've played two sensational games with an admirable style that would have got them through in any other group, and lost both of them. Easily the most unlucky team so far. Doesn't really have anything to do with them being African, though I'd say if there is a general trend it'd be because African sides tend to play a very entertaining brand of football, so obviously people like watching them. Nobody's going to shed a tear if Angola or Tunisia miss out, but Ghana and IC certainly.

I'd have to disagree with you vis a vis the entertaining brand of football Faaip. IC may have played pretty well, but if you've had the misfortune of watching the last 2 Afrrican Nations cups they were absolutely dire in terms of entertaining football

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
I'd have to disagree with you vis a vis the entertaining brand of football Faaip. IC may have played pretty well, but if you've had the misfortune of watching the last 2 Afrrican Nations cups they were absolutely dire in terms of entertaining football
Nah, we don't really get any of the African Nations Cup here, so this is the first I've ever seen of the Ivory Coast. It may be that they play better with less pressure, cooler temperatures and so on, but I'd say a few of the African nations generally play exciting football at World Cups. Nigeria, Cameroon, and now Ivory Coast have all been great to watch in recent times. There's still Angola of course...

Craig

World Traveller
Is it me or did van Persie's free kick in which he scored off took a very slight deflection off a Cote d'Ivorie player?

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
awesome kick though...
Robben said a few seconds before the kick....in a few seconds ill be around your nech celebrating a goal...he was right :D