• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C: Argentina, Cote d'Ivoire, Serbia & Montenegro, Holland

Travis_Teh

International Regular
Being realistic, one would have to say t hat the Argentines and the Dutch will go through to the second round.......any other way would be harsh on both great footballing nations.'

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Should bee an interesting game between these two sides. Hopefully some excting football for the 1st time for the day.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Xuhaib said:
Ivory Coast is your typical African team, flair and pacy but **** at the back.
I agree with the pace, but from what I've seen African teams tend to be decent at the back because they're usually big strong, physical and pacy guys but just lack attacking threat (and flair).because they don't yet have the technical ability. Teams like Cameroon a while ago and this Ivory Coast side seem to be more the exception than the norm and the African Cup of Nations are usually dire to watch (partly because the pitches and heat as well to be fair).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Ivory Coast were robbed tonight, as far as I'm concerned. They were the better team all over the pitch for most of the match, and Argentina's goals generally came in even periods of the game, or even against the run somewhat. A 2-2 draw might have been a fair result, and fair play to Argentina for making more of their chances, but the result really does seem unfair to an Ivory Coast team that played remarkably well.

Matteh

Well played the Ivory Coast. Didn't deserve to lose and were definitely on par with Argentina during the entire match.
Was exciting to watch, Argentina basically just took their chances better.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Much as it pains me to admit it, but I think 2-1 flattered the Ivory Coast. Argentina more or less completely dictated the pace of the game.

When they were 2-0 ahead yer Argentines were more than happy to defend deep & only mount the occasional counter. An impressive tournament performance for mine. &, again this hurts me as an Englishman, the best team on view thus far.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
What game were you watching? If the Ivorians had taken thier chances they would have comfortably won the game.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
roseboy64 said:
What game were you watching? If the Ivorians had taken thier chances they would have comfortably won the game.
The same match as you. Aside from the goal the Ivorians never seriously threatened to score. Possession is all very well, but it's end product that matters. The fact that yer Argies went up & scored more or less straight after Drogba (albeit disallowed for offiside) shows how much they had the game in their pockets.

They looked a team planning a long tournament. Dear God I hope I'm wrong.... 8-)

Blaze

Banned
BoyBrumby said:
Much as it pains me to admit it, but I think 2-1 flattered the Ivory Coast. Argentina more or less completely dictated the pace of the game.

When they were 2-0 ahead yer Argentines were more than happy to defend deep & only mount the occasional counter. An impressive tournament performance for mine. &, again this hurts me as an Englishman, the best team on view thus far.
I agree with that. Can't quite see where some people in this thread are coming from...

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I'm guessing from their mothers maybe but seriously you guys are woefully discrediting Ivory Coast.

Matteh

Off the top of my head, aside from the goal the Ivory Coast had that header which was very flukily saved by the Argie goalie and the chance Drogba had where Ayala managed to get back and block it. Both of those had a strong chance of going in, especially the first one.