• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B: England, Paraguay, Trinidad & Tobago, Sweden

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Awful the word to describe that performance, of course the last 10 will cloud people's judgement. Crouch was terrible, Ashley Cole still looks short of match fitness as does Owen.

Aaron Lennon was the ray of hope, he can do damage in the last 20. It also meant Beckham was playing right back which, lets face it, he obviously prefers since he spends most of his time on the half way line smashing long balls.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
reasonable performance, england in control for almost all of the match, comfortbale win in the end, no concerns to be had really, shaky in defence as england always are, missing so many chances is also a concern, but otherwise nothing to shout about good or bad. Good result, onwards to the next game.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well played Sweden, purely for the fact that goal got me some money from a bet. :)
Bit of divided loyalties though considering it means England aren't completely sure they've won the group now.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Way to keep your investors nervous, Sweden. Still, a win is a win.

Sets up a genuine match for top spot anyway, which should be entertaining, plus the prospect of a T&T second round berth if they win and Sweden lose.

Matteh

Just a shame all T&T look capable of is sitting back and holding out for the 0-0 draw....

(bar the odd counter-attack when the other team is really going for a goal)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Matteh said:
Bit of divided loyalties though considering it means England aren't completely sure they've won the group now.
If Ecuador win Group A, do we really want to win Group B?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
If Ecuador win Group A, do we really want to win Group B?
The Way Sweden are playing, I dont think England have a choice. :D Either way I think England have a better chance of beating Ecuador over Germany.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Peter Crouch's goal was laughable, he fouled the defender by pulling on his dreadlocks, so blatant it was unreal. Not complaining mind but I loath Crouch (and the tactics we employ when he starts) and this zero to hero ******** and if that tool scores the greater chance he will start in the later rounds.

Overall it was a poor performance, and like the Paraguay game one of the worst of the tournament. Half the team does not look match fit and if will play like this I doubt we give the Ecuadorians a game.

Scaly piscine

marc71178 said:
Decent performance IMO, but top marks to Sven for the decision to change the shape.

Downing looks out of his depth though.
What a complete steaming pile from the one who thinks England getting knocked out after being 1-0 up against an abject Portugal side who couldn't string 3 passes together.was not the vegetable's fault. Downing's cross-field pass helped set up the first goal other than that he's not done much to be judged on (which is the nature of wingers, they're generally not involved much unless they've an obvious beating of their defender like Lennon). England can have narrow, predictable rubbish relying on Rooney brilliance whilst surrounded by opposition or relying on the opponents giving a ton of free kicks away (so by law of averages Beckham gets one right) or they can spread the opposition across the pitch, giving more space for Rooney, Owen or whoever and getting more dangerous crosses in which is what forwards thrive on.

Matteh

I think Germany will beat Ecuador tbh so we need to try and win the group.

Cole is easily a better player than Downing at this point in time, but Downing is an able deputy who you know will, unlike Beckham, run at people and put in a cross. Basically Sven got his substitutions spot on today.

I agree with TT, Crouch just looks so so average at times and i'd much rather have Owen partnering Rooney than have Crouch in there who i still see as a bit of a gimmick player which makes us play long ball at times purely because of his height.

ash chaulk

International Captain
disappointed at no robot dance

lennon looked good.

i really wanted trinidad to score 1st i would have laughed well

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
The Way Sweden are playing, I dont think England have a choice. :D Either way I think England have a better chance of beating Ecuador over Germany.
I'd back England to beat either side, but Ecuador are a safer bet since facing the Germans in the second round in front of their home fans is something i think England would gladly want to avoid.

social

Eng are doing all they need to do - win.

Other than that there is not too much to smile about as the game was of largely poor standard and boring as all hell.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I had a huge $3 on a draw. If that happened I was going to come on here and sing TNT by ACDC.

:(

Last edited:

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
TT Boy said:
Peter Crouch's goal was laughable, he fouled the defender by pulling on his dreadlocks, so blatant it was unreal. Not complaining mind but I loath Crouch (and the tactics we employ when he starts) and this zero to hero ******** and if that tool scores the greater chance he will start in the later rounds.

Overall it was a poor performance, and like the Paraguay game one of the worst of the tournament. Half the team does not look match fit and if will play like this I doubt we give the Ecuadorians a game.
So blatent that nobody knew about it until Sancho told everyone about it after the match, everyone aside from you that is :) .

As for Crouch, it's not his fault the idiots behind him lump the ball up, he needs to show for the ball more but he was a million times better than Owen who you fail to criticise.

We dominated without creating too many chances, playing some boring stuff but getting results. After tonights horror show from Sweden, thank **** for Riquelme and the Argies tomorrow.

Matteh

Pedro Delgado said:
So blatent that nobody knew about it until Sancho told everyone about it after the match, everyone aside from you that is :) .
I must have seen that goal about 4 times and didn't notice it til the BBC pointed it out on their highlights programme 8-)

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
ash chaulk said:
disappointed at no robot dance

lennon looked good.

i really wanted trinidad to score 1st i would have laughed well
He said we won't see it unless England reaches the Final.