• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B: England, Paraguay, Trinidad & Tobago, Sweden

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
1. England
2. Sweden
3. Paraguay
4. Trinidad & Tobago

The top two... debatable. Think England will beat Sweden though.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Changing my initial picks a bit.

England:

2-1 against Paraguay, 3-0 against T&T, 1-1 against Sweden.

Sweden to top the group. England to lose to Germany 4-3 on penalties in Round 16. I can't believe how much Germany are being under-rated in the media and by fans. They'll lift and with home support they'll be extremely dangerous. If the betting odds are good, I'll slap down $20-$30 on them knocking England out.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
James said:

England:

Sweden to top the group. England to lose to Germany 4-3 on penalties in Round 16. I can't believe how much Germany are being under-rated in the media and by fans. They'll lift and with home support they'll be extremely dangerous. If the betting odds are good, I'll slap down $20-$30 on them knocking England out.
I can't see Sweden scoring tons of goals to be honest, for the first time in a while I'm fairly confident of finishing top of the group. Agree about the Germans though, one to avoid, but fate may decide that we must meet; Germany finishing second in their group is not out of the question so us finishing top is no guarantee of avoiding them.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
James said:

England:

odds on Germany arent that great, most places have em 2nd or 3rd favourites at around $7 or $8, i suspect if the tournament wasnt in germany they'd be closer to about 15's

James

Cricket Web Owner
Pedro Delgado said:
I can't see Sweden scoring tons of goals to be honest, for the first time in a while I'm fairly confident of finishing top of the group. Agree about the Germans though, one to avoid, but fate may decide that we must meet; Germany finishing second in their group is not out of the question so us finishing top is no guarantee of avoiding them.
Maybe so, but I can't help but think, that with the media and fans building this England team up as the best side since 1966 that it's just doomed to fail. England perform best when they're not expected to do well, and are clear under-dogs. The Ashes being the prime example.

broncoman said:
odds on Germany arent that great, most places have em 2nd or 3rd favourites at around $7 or $8, i suspect if the tournament wasnt in germany they'd be closer to about 15's
I'm picking Italy to win the tournament, but I'll see what I can get on head to head when England play Germany in either Round 16 or Quarters.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Jungle Jumbo said:
England and Sweden. Fairly confident we can beat Swedes and top the group. Paraguay to slaughter T&T 5-0 or similar.
I'll bite. Paraguay to score less than 3 goals against T&T.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
James said:
Maybe so, but I can't help but think, that with the media and fans building this England team up as the best side since 1966 that it's just doomed to fail. England perform best when they're not expected to do well, and are clear under-dogs. The Ashes being the prime example.
Anyone with half a brain ignores the meedya chest thumping, don't forget all the quotes in the papers from some fans (Mike from Swindon, welder: "We're the best come on England!!" etc) aren't necessarily the majority view, they're not going to quote somone who says "quarter's maybe semi's, out on pens" which is what I and many of my friends think. I think the fans are correct in thinking this is a good England side, possibly the best set of players since you-know-when. I like being the under-dog too, but in a group comprised of Sweden, Paraguay and T&T it's hard to find anyone that wouldn't make us favourites, and even against the Germans we'd be ahead with the bookies. That's not arrogance, it's just fact.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
James said:

I'm picking Italy to win the tournament, but I'll see what I can get on head to head when England play Germany in either Round 16 or Quarters.
TBF we were 2nd favourites for Bill going into the 2003 RU WC. Did ok then, as I recall.... ;)

I'm agnostic with yer eye-talians. Sometimes think they're a value bet, but with their current injury probs they could equally be first-rounders.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Isaksson will miss at least the first game with concussion after getting poleaxed by a Kim Kallstrom shot in training. All my fantasy sides with salary caps are going to have to have Barthez in goal now :(

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Great Birtannia said:
Isaksson will miss at least the first game with concussion after getting poleaxed by a Kim Kallstrom shot in training. All my fantasy sides with salary caps are going to have to have Barthez in goal now :(
Fannies. :dry:

This one:

http://worldcup.fantasy-manager.co.uk/

that cpr started a league in is already locked & guess who my keeper is?!?

I already wasted one of the three transfers swapping a Spainard for a Craot 'cos I didn't realise. :@ 8-)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Had to share this. This bloke has obviously been promoted beyond his ability. From today's Mirror:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/worldcup/ne...adline=crouch-is-a-basket-case-name_page.html

Paraguay vice-president Juan Angel Napout said: "Everyone says we are six feet under, but you have to bury us first.

"It's logical to say England and Sweden will go through from this group, but in 1950 Brazil just needed a draw to become world champions - and they lost to Paraguay.

"It is an advantage for us for people to think we are dead and buried."

Er, that was Uruguay who beat Brazil Juan, I think you'll find. The fact you didn't win the cup & they did was probably the clue. Bless. :p

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Fannies. :dry:

This one:

http://worldcup.fantasy-manager.co.uk/

that cpr started a league in is already locked & guess who my keeper is?!?

I already wasted one of the three transfers swapping a Spainard for a Craot 'cos I didn't realise. :@ 8-)
I entered that one but I don't think I'll bother with it now. I have Isaksson, Ballack, Van der Vaart and Ramos in the team and none will play. Spewing they locked it out so early.

Cloete

International Captain
Great Birtannia said:
Best 01/02 connection.

Let me guess, Bakirciouglu, Lunden and Selakovic coming into their side? Can't leave Agbar Barsom out either :D

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Cloete said:
Best 01/02 connection.

Let me guess, Bakirciouglu, Lunden and Selakovic coming into their side? Can't leave Agbar Barsom out either :D
I was racking my brain the other day trying to think of Selakovic. He was a great buy for 750k and then sell in January for 9 million :laugh: Isaksson is a bloody good keeper in real life though. Kallstrom isn't too shabby either Lyon have just signed him up.

Travis_Teh

International Regular
Ignoring all other posts....hard hard group.

England and Paraguay.

I will cry if England do not make it through.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fat Frank is going to love the footballs being used - wonder what the odds are on him being top scorer for England.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Scaly piscine said:
Fat Frank is going to love the footballs being used - wonder what the odds are on him being top scorer for England.
Ladbrookes were offering 5/1 earlier today. May've come in a smidge since.

Simon

33/3from3.3 said:
at least one penalty in today's games i's thinkin'
Odds of $3.25 for there to be a penalty in the match (also the same odds for every match)
i think its a good chance of happening too...