• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B: England, Paraguay, Trinidad & Tobago, Sweden

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Now I'm imagining England fans developing a chant along the lines of "War is over" giving Germany stick about ....

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Great first half, atrocious second and I spilt Guinness all over my white shirt. What an anti-climax.

Build the team around Gerrard, and for God's sake, don't play Rooney as lone striker, that will never, ever, ever work

Craig

World Traveller
steds said:
Mum: "So who do England play, then?"
Me: "Ecuador"
Mum: "Oh dear. The african clubs have been doing well haven't they?"
Me: "No. And Ecuador are South America"
Mum: "Really?"
Me: "Yes. Right next to Peru and Columbia"
Mum: "I thought Peru was in Asia..."

Oh dear god.
:laugh:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I am actually going to do a bit of work this morning. But no doubt I'll be a little bit bored this afternoon, and I'm gonna youtube the hell out of that goal

JOE COLE FOR PRIME MINISTER

Craig

World Traveller
Disappionting effort for mine, to let England in and not converting their chances they had, although I'm well aware that Owen was injured. As for that defending it was terrible, you would think that having a manager that is Swdish and playing against his own countrymen he would know how they would play and what to expect, but obviously not.

Listening to a couple of the boffins on SBS today after the game and one of the mwas of the opinion that England, despite Eriksson being in charge for four and a half years, he has not set down his style of play, and the schoolboy marking and the the lack of urgency in the air, and it was by this performance was a reason why England won't be contenders for the World Cup.

But credit to Sweden, for hanging in there and getting the result they needed. They seem to have this uncanny knack of getting the result they need, and once they went 2-1 down, they went forward, and forced England into a comical mistake.

What did people make of Rooney's actions when he was subbed? A bit over the top with the throwing of his boots and tape, but he has to realise he isn't ready for a full game, but at least it is a sign that he wants to be out there and play for England, which is more then you could say about some players for England who probably think it is a right, then something earned.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
sledger said:
standard performance, bar the dodgy defending on the goals and at various times in the second half no real causes for concern, owen hargreaves put in an excellent display as did joe cole, cant understand why people moan and want walcott on in the place of rooney or owen, stupid people.
Well why not?

If you pick him as a 'surprise player' or an 'impact' player, what is the point of taking him if he is going to sit on the bench, when you have Aaron Lennon instead? if you have him you may as well use him, as England might find themselves in the situation where they might need him. I'm not saying they will, but you never know, especially until the game is over. If not then he was better off taking either Bent, Vassell, Defoe, or whoever and play him instead.

Trying thinking outside the square for a change.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Viz. Rooney, he was just angry with himself for a poor second half showing I think. I don't mind that, shows he's got passion and high standards.

Well, nobody expected that result 8-)

Even at 2-1 our mob in the boozer just knew they'd get one. It is written. Better game than I'd hoped for, some decent play from us first half but fell away again. What does Sven do at half-time, get Nancy to **** them all off? We look like we're in the afterglow in the second halves. Anyway, need to buck up at the back, comedic defending for the last goal. Sweden really had a go second half fair play, and their set-pieces were excellent, they did their homework.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Craig

World Traveller
No I mean Shaaban.

I know he was released by West Ham and IIRC he was taken on my Arsenal as back-up, but after that I'm not sure. Off playing in Sweden?

Rather unfortunate to Isaksson, looks a more then udefull goal keeper.

Craig

World Traveller
Pedro Delgado said:
Viz. Rooney, he was just angry with himself for a poor second half showing I think. I don't mind that, shows he's got passion and high standards.

Well, nobody expected that result 8-)

Even at 2-1 our mob in the boozer just knew they'd get one. It is written. Better game than I'd hoped for, some decent play from us first half but fell away again. What does Sven do at half-time, get Nancy to **** them all off? We look like we're in the afterglow in the second halves. Anyway, need to buck up at the back, comedic defending for the last goal. Sweden really had a go second half fair play, and their set-pieces were excellent, they did their homework.

:cool: :cool: :cool:
Another quality product from West Ham.

Certaintly have produced some very good players (more then some other teams).

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Craig said:
No I mean Shaaban.

I know he was released by West Ham and IIRC he was taken on my Arsenal as back-up, but after that I'm not sure. Off playing in Sweden?

Rather unfortunate to Isaksson, looks a more then udefull goal keeper.
Playing in Norway, for the venerable Fredrikstad Fotballklubb. :cool:

(there has been rumours he's for sale after the Norwegian season is up, though)

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
but if you want England to win we got to be sceptical about the critical errors that the team makes.
If you want England to win you should get behind your team, not pick all the minute flaws and criticise them....

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Craig said:
Disappionting effort for mine, to let England in and not converting their chances they had, although I'm well aware that Owen was injured. As for that defending it was terrible, you would think that having a manager that is Swdish and playing against his own countrymen he would know how they would play and what to expect, but obviously not.

Listening to a couple of the boffins on SBS today after the game and one of the mwas of the opinion that England, despite Eriksson being in charge for four and a half years, he has not set down his style of play, and the schoolboy marking and the the lack of urgency in the air, and it was by this performance was a reason why England won't be contenders for the World Cup.
I think the vegetable is trying to oust John Prescott as the most riduclously overpaid, morally bankrupt turd who does sod all to be worth the minimum wage let alone anything else.

I'd love to know what the vegetable actually does as manager - organisation at set plays? Nope. Motivational speaker? Nope. Tactical genius? Nope.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
If you want England to win you should get behind your team, not pick all the minute flaws and criticise them....
yes of course i want england to win, but if they are going to win the world cup you got to be a little scpetical about the little mistakes a bit..

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Matteh said:
Of course everyone's behind England, but sometimes criticism is needed. Especially when they're not 'minor' flaws as you seem to think.