Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Group B: England, Paraguay, Trinidad & Tobago, Sweden

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    Currently Sweden has +1 and T&T is -2. So regardless of how many England score against Sweden, T&T still needs at least mefinks.
    england 3 Sweden 0
    T&T 1 Paraguay 0

->T&T -1, Sweden -2

Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Currently Sweden has +1 and T&T is -2. So regardless of how many England score against Sweden, T&T still needs at least mefinks.
    No coz if we score 6 against Sweden they go onto -5

I'm not saying we will mind you!!
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Vice-Captain
    I suspect that we'd still need 2, as we would be level on points and goal difference with Sweden if we beat Paraguay 1-0. Not sure what the ruling is from there, but I gather it'd be Sweden to go through.
    If Trinidad beat Paraguay 1-0 and we beat Sweden 2-0 I think things'll be exactly the same goal wise, and seeing as T&T drew with Sweden I think they'd draw lots.

doesn't really bother we what happens in the Trinidad vs Paraguay game, all thats important is that England defeat Sweden & top the group, since it will give England a very good path in the knockout stages.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    I don't think that would work - his crossing is far too important.

The thing to remember is, England won't come across any other sides who are seemingly only set up to not concede - against a team with a modicum of attacking intention and the likes of Owen come into the game far more.
    So what was the who logic in playing 4-5-1 with Beckham in the middle with Wright-Phillips on the right during qualifying?

It got put to me since Gerrard and Lampard don't always complement each other in the middle of the England midfield, since Lampard is naturally attacking, and Gerrard likes to get forward as well, so two attacking midfielders don't really work well together. That way they can both get forward, but in different positions.

As for Theo Walcott, if possible I think he should be given a proper go off the bench, he was picked as an 'impact' player or his gamble selection, so you may as well use it or it will look like a waste of time IMO when you could have taken Jermain Defoe or somebody else instead. I mean he (Eriksson) thought Walcott was good enough to be picked, so he may as well live by his sword (and I know some members backed it and a few big name players from FC Barcelona agreed so to).
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    So what was the who logic in playing 4-5-1 with Beckham in the middle with Wright-Phillips on the right during qualifying?
    I think the logic was that Beckham could hit both wings from there and quickly get England attacking.

It fell down because SWP is pure tat.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

According to the wireless, Sven has said Rooney will start against Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    I think the logic was that Beckham could hit both wings from there and quickly get England attacking.

It fell down because SWP is pure tat.
    Couldn't that work with Gerrard on the right though, if you took the view that Gerrard is a better winger then Wright-Phillips, or if Lennon was on?

Personally he should give Bridge, and possibily Carrick or somebody a game at some point. They might need them if a injury happens to a certain area the foot...

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Well the Sweden game will see a couple of changes, I think Gerrard is being rested.

Unfortunately that means Canada's finest is expected to start.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Maybe with us already through, Sven wants us to just sneak a draw, thus having us top the group and Sweden qualify in second

England cannot win with a 4-4-2

Saw this little piece on BBC, and i think its a fair point to be honest, after all i did suggest this type of formation before..

England's formation:
    You have to pick teams to win in the knock-out stages. England will never win the World Cup playing with a 4-4-2 formation.
    As good as Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard are, if they come up against three central midfielders the ball will be simply passed around them.

Argentina do this brilliantly and I think a 3-5-2 with a deeper Owen Hargreaves might best suit England.

Denmark destroyed us this way in the friendly. Claus Jensen played behind the front two and tore us to bits. And they're not even at the World Cup. It is a warning.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    Saw this little piece on BBC, and i think its a fair point to be honest, after all i did suggest this type of formation before..

England's formation:
    You have to pick teams to win in the knock-out stages. England will never win the World Cup playing with a 4-4-2 formation.
    As good as Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard are, if they come up against three central midfielders the ball will be simply passed around them.

Argentina do this brilliantly and I think a 3-5-2 with a deeper Michael Carrick might best suit England.

Denmark destroyed us this way in the friendly. Claus Jensen played behind the front two and tore us to bits. And they're not even at the World Cup. It is a warning.
    The BBC made a typo....
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Quote Originally Posted by aussie

England's formation:

Argentina do this brilliantly and I think a 3-5-2 with a deeper Owen Hargreaves might best suit England.

Don't think so, if 4-4-2 is so easy to counter then how come most club teams in Europe play it?

The formation itself doesn't really matter, it's how England play. Fact remains England play their best when they're playing 4-4-2, if they play better than their opponents they'll likely win - it's not chess.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Matteh
    The BBC made a typo....
    haha

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    Don't think so, if 4-4-2 is so easy to counter then how come most club teams in Europe play it?

The formation itself doesn't really matter, it's how England play. Fact remains England play their best when they're playing 4-4-2, if they play better than their opponents they'll likely win - it's not chess.
    Yeah just checkers.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread Information