• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B: England, Paraguay, Trinidad & Tobago, Sweden

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
Be interesting to see how they'd do against teams that play so deep and 1 man on his own up front.
Given that they went through qualifying with 10 wins, 2 draws and 0 losses in a group with Finland, Macedonia, Armenia and Andorra, probably a fair bit.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Be interesting to see how they'd do against teams that play so deep and 1 man on his own up front.
Robben aside they were pretty workman-like. A young side though, Marco has gone on record as saying he's building for the Euro's and the next WC. Having a Wesley in ones side is always a bonus.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Given that they went through qualifying with 10 wins, 2 draws and 0 losses in a group with Finland, Macedonia, Armenia and Andorra, probably a fair bit.
Good of you to miss out Romania and the Czech Republic.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Samuel_Vimes said:
The likes of Andorra don't have the ability to play so defensively and be so hard to break down though.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
TT Boy said:
Good of you to miss out Romania and the Czech Republic.
The point was to find the defensive sides of the group. Czechs can't exactly be called that. (Romania were a bit dreary when we played them a couple of years back, tho...)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Time to get some proper commentators in for these England games.

"Shaka Hislop kicks the ball downfield and right into the path of Paul Robinson, who collects easily. That's probably Trinidad and Tobago's most accurate shot on goal today."

This is after John Terry saved England from being 1-0 down at the half by a sensational bit of defending. The commentator only deemed it fitting not to be biased heavily toward England after Crouch netted in the 82nd. In his relief he unleashed a barrage of compliments upon the Soc(c)a Warriors.

It's really unfortunate that these people are allowed into the commentary booth at this level of the sport.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Matteh said:
Just a shame all T&T look capable of is sitting back and holding out for the 0-0 draw....

(bar the odd counter-attack when the other team is really going for a goal)
Against a team rated about 40 places ahead of us, you really expect much more? 8-)

Just a shame England and Sweden hardly look capable of scoring against one of the lowest ranked teams in the tournament.

EDIT: Some teams will never get any respect...

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Watched the Eng v T &T game live. Was almost to the point of giving up and going back to sleep at 5:30 AM (NZ time) when Peter Crouch got his header !! What a great goal.
Gerrard's was even better IMO.

But the number of times England had opportunity to score but fluffed was unbelievably very very high !! Particularly Lampard and Crouch.

Mr Mxyzptlk

superkingdave said:
Awful the word to describe that performance, of course the last 10 will cloud people's judgement. Crouch was terrible
Also pulled on Brent Sancho's dreadlocks to score. :p

That goal really goes down to Crouch losing his marker though (Dennis "Tall Man" Lawrence... who actually more lost himself).

Mr Mxyzptlk

JASON said:
Was almost to the point of giving up and going back to sleep at 5:30 AM (NZ time) when Peter Crouch got his header !! What a great goal.
You think? It looked like a practice goal to me. The service was good (which in itself is shocking, given who served it) but the goal itself was hardly great.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Southgate is such a patronising ****, "The ref has to realise these Trinidad boys do things differently, you won't see them running too fast" when a chap was subbed the other day 8-) Any respect I had for him has evaporated. Thank **** he wasn't commentating on the Jamiaca friendly. Motson is the worst though, "these Ghanaians aren't scared, they're here to play football and aren't showing the Italians respect at all". Remind me again how long Appiah played for Juve, and how much Essien cost Motty, or should they just lie down in front of their white betters.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Just a shame England and Sweden hardly look capable of scoring against one of the lowest ranked teams in the tournament.
Sweden 23 shots, 6 on target.
England 25 shots, 8 on target.

Clearly neither side looked very capable of scoring...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So what is your point then?

T&T were set up to defend for 90 minutes and make it as hard as possible for the opposition.

In spite of that, both sides certainly looked like scoring.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think Trinidad have been great. I'm hoping we turn Sweden over, and you lot beat Paraguay, because then you might well go through on goal difference :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Time to get some proper commentators in for these England games.

"Shaka Hislop kicks the ball downfield and right into the path of Paul Robinson, who collects easily. That's probably Trinidad and Tobago's most accurate shot on goal today."

This is after John Terry saved England from being 1-0 down at the half by a sensational bit of defending. The commentator only deemed it fitting not to be biased heavily toward England after Crouch netted in the 82nd. In his relief he unleashed a barrage of compliments upon the Soc(c)a Warriors.

It's really unfortunate that these people are allowed into the commentary booth at this level of the sport.
You get them everywhere, blinkered jingoistic types.

Play scrabble, breed budgies...

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
So what is your point then?

T&T were set up to defend for 90 minutes and make it as hard as possible for the opposition.

In spite of that, both sides certainly looked like scoring.
The point is that Trinidad and Tobago shouldn't have held teams ranked as highly as Sweden and England scoreless for about 3 hours of World Cup football. They did a sensational job to do so, and to say that the tactics were defensive because the team is not capable of doing anything other than defending is insulting and plain incorrect.

The fact is that the best tactics to compete with teams of the calibre of England and Sweden is to absorb the attack and take advantage of the counterattack. England was not about to be beaten in the midfield. Not with guys like Gerrard and Lampard about.

Worth noting that Trinidad and Tobago came within a couple of inches of scoring against Sweden on Saturday via a counterattack. John Terry also broke up a near thing on a counterattack yesterday. It's a tactical choice, not a technical limitation.

Mr Mxyzptlk

GeraintIsMyHero said:
I think Trinidad have been great. I'm hoping we turn Sweden over, and you lot beat Paraguay, because then you might well go through on goal difference :)
It'll have to be:

1-0 England v Sweden
2-0 T&T v Paraguay

Worth noting that Sweden hasn't lost to England in about 40 years, and that Sven may not start a full strength team either. I'd think he'd want to beat Sweden (for obvious reasons) and top the group though.

Prediction: Russel Latapy to get his first World Cup game time vs Paraguay.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
How about we stuff about 6 or 7 past the Swedes for ya so you only need the one :)

The fact that you were playing us was the only thing preventing me wanting you to advance as we never finish above Sweden. But I'm now sure we will, and I hope to God you lot go through :)