• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A: Germany, Costa Rica, Poland, Ecuador

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Lovely game. Well refereed, well played, plenty of goals, couple of beauties from Lahm and Friedrich.

Germany's centre backs really need checking, though. Norway circa 1996 would have scored five goals on them.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:
Lol, never cease to amaze Scaly.

Looks like 4-2 will be the final score. Was a pretty entertaining match to watch whilst doing some late-night study.
Best opening game I've ever seen (mind you, decent ones are few and far between).

Absolutely wonderful to see Choppy notching a couple, but wasn't Frings' goal an utter stunner?

I used to know his dad, actually - he was a vicar.

The Reverand Archibald Frings
used to preach about morals and things.
But his secret desire
was a boy in the choir
with an a*se like jelly on springs.

Travis_Teh

International Regular
Samuel_Vimes said:
Lovely game. Well refereed, well played, plenty of goals, couple of beauties from Lahm and Friedrich.

Germany's centre backs really need checking, though. Norway circa 1996 would have scored five goals on them.
Norway .... pshhhh

GG though ^^

Now for Pooooland.

Travis_Teh

International Regular
luckyeddie said:
Best opening game I've ever seen (mind you, decent ones are few and far between).

Absolutely wonderful to see Choppy notching a couple, but wasn't Frings' goal an utter stunner?

I used to know his dad, actually.

The Reverand Archibald Frings
used to preach about morals and things.
But his secret desire
was a boy in the choir
with an a*se like jelly on springs.
Clever :(

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Terrific game to start things off. Two sensational goals, some good attacking play, and the underdogs got a bit of fun too.

Obviously Germany's defence was pretty shoddy at times, but from a neutral (or at least non-German fan) perspective I liked that they kept pushing forward and didn't look to save face, even when 3-1 up. It would have been easier to do so, from Klinsmann's public image perspective in particular.

Be nice if all the games were that entertaining. :p

Travis_Teh

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
Terrific game to start things off. Two sensational goals, some good attacking play, and the underdogs got a bit of fun too.

Obviously Germany's defence was pretty shoddy at times, but from a neutral (or at least non-German fan) perspective I liked that they kept pushing forward and didn't look to save face, even when 3-1 up. It would have been easier to do so, from Klinsmann's public image perspective in particular.

Be nice if all the games were that entertaining. :p
What would you know, ...... :p

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So then,

We've learnt that Germany are good going forward, shouldn't be allowed to have the ball about 25 yards away, Klose should be kept away from the goal at all times and that they're utterly dire in defence.

England should be able to beat them tbh.

Travis_Teh

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
Go back to the CWXI forum please. You're not allowed out here, and I'd rather not have to call security.
I request this man leave me alone.

He is always pestering me, and I am unsure as to why ....

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Costa Rica were dire. Germany really should be embarrassed to concede two against them.

I know a few of the keepers were having a moan (as keepers do) about the balls being "goalkeeper unfriendly", but jeez they move like the 99p plastic floaters you used to buy from service stations on the way to the seaside! Frings's shot must've moved 8-10 feet laterally in the air!

On the plus side my accumulator lives on! :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Ecuador were really good in that first half. Really solid at the back, and made the other teams we've seen so far look awful in that regard. Poland didn't play badly really, but they didn't look much like making a goal either. Could have been 2-0 easily, too.

It's another good game to watch, too. Plenty of attacking football.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Scaly piscine said:
Looking a bit shaky now...
Decidely so. I can't quite believe how anonymous Poland have looked. Given the ease with which they qualified I think I have the right to expect a little more.

Ecuador making the early running in the " team with the crappest haircuts" standings tho. The lad sporting the soul-glowed mullet with shaven sides will take some beating.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Heh. Exchange in the Mørk household (translated for general benefit)

Dad: If it's 3-3, nobody gets any points for tipping, right?
Me: Yep, doesn't look much like that tho.
Mom: Looks more like 0-0.
(Ecuador gets throw-in)
Me: Not so sure, I think some team might get a goal off a set piece sooner or later
(Ecuadorian throws in, header goes back in the box, Tenorio shoots in from close range.)

Travis_Teh

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
Ecuador were really good in that first half. Really solid at the back, and made the other teams we've seen so far look awful in that regard. Poland didn't play badly really, but they didn't look much like making a goal either. Could have been 2-0 easily, too.

It's another good game to watch, too. Plenty of attacking football.
are you talking about the other 3 out of .... all of the groups? :p

what the hell ..... broad generalisations off 2 games :)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I expected Ecuador to be worse than they've been, given the way the qualified (getting virtually all their points playing at altitude). Still nothing to write home about... quarter finals should be a breeze for two certain Group B sides...