• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Betting Thread

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Today i recieved my free world cup betting guide from Centrebet, ill be putting it to good use in the coming month. I know theres some other keen on the punt around here like Blewy and Marc, so to get in the spirit i thought we could all share some tips if we find some good odds on something. All my odds will come from the centrebet site.
So far ive found these...

Mexico to win Group D @ $1.80
Holland to win Group C @ $2.40
Golden Shoe Luca Toni @ $17
Golden Shoe Fernando Torres @ $34

ill add bets for the matches a bit closer to the start.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
That $2.40 for the Dutch looks a steal..

Ill have a look at some options and post a few for myself..

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Im liking the looks of:

* Sweden to top their group @ $3
* Australia to make the R16 @ $3
* Klose @ $23 to win Golden Shoe
* Aloisi to be Australia's Top Scorer @ $6.50
* Gerrard to be England's Top Scorer @ $6.00

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Blewy said:
Im liking the looks of:

* Sweden to top their group @ $3
* Australia to make the R16 @ $3
* Klose @ $23 to win Golden Shoe
* Aloisi to be Australia's Top Scorer @ $6.50
* Gerrard to be England's Top Scorer @ $6.00
That's the one that I'd definitely go for (if I was a gambler), along with probably Sweden (lets face it they'll probably draw with England and we know which team tends to scrape crappy 2-1 wins against rubbish sides and so stuff up their goal difference)

Anyone who takes the crap odds on chief poseur for anything deserves to lose their money by the way...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Shevchenko for top scorer (best odds I've seen are 26/1 with Betdaq) could be a value bet as The Ukraine (why do some countries have a definite article, BTW? One says "The Congo" but never "The Botswana"...) have a rather cushy group and Italy's odds may lengthen somewhat with yer match-fixing to-do & a siege mentality seems to suit them, so they could be value as an each-way bet to win it if they go out as far as tweleves or fifteens; best I've seen on them so far is 10.6/1 with Mansion.

As more of a novelty bet, Group H (with Spain, Ukraine, Saudi Arabia & Tunisia) looks good value to supply the most goals, widely available at 13/2.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
Shevchenko for top scorer (best odds I've seen are 26/1 with Betdaq) could be a value bet as The Ukraine (why do some countries have a definite article, BTW? One says "The Congo" but never "The Botswana"...)
I think "the Congo"(s? There's two of the blighters now...) comes from the river. Doesn't explain Ukraine, though.

Simon

Shev will definately score some goals, but i dont see him bein the top scorer, even if Ukraine do progress to the later rounds i cant see it being through big wins. Ill be sticking with the big sides when it comes to chosing the leading scorer...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Top scorer is almost always nigh on impossible to get right because it's some no-mark.

Looking at the las few years you've had Lineker, Schillachi, Salenko, someone in 98 (can't remember, was it Ronaldo?) and Klose...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
marc71178 said:
Top scorer is almost always nigh on impossible to get right because it's some no-mark.

Looking at the las few years you've had Lineker, Schillachi, Salenko, someone in 98 (can't remember, was it Ronaldo?) and Klose...
Nah. It was Fat Dave Suker (6) in 1998 & Ronaldo (8) in 2002. Whoever heard of him?!? :p

Also whatsisname the Bulgarian was joint top with Salenko in 1994 with 6. Stoichkov! (sp?)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That's more to do with bookies saving face - they shorten the odds on the big names (or in England on the English side) because a lot of people with little knowledge will be on him so they need to minimise the odds (a bit like a lot of people over here will back England blindly - I mean how else do you describe us as being second favourites for the Cricket World Cup?!!!)

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:

As you got in Euro 2004 with Milan Baros getting the Golden Shoe.

What are the odds of Ghana and/or Ivory Coast making the R of 16?

Simon

Craig said:
As you got in Euro 2004 with Milan Baros getting the Golden Shoe.

What are the odds of Ghana and/or Ivory Coast making the R of 16?
Ghana $4
Ivory Coast $3.50

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
My darkhorse for the golden boot is paying $30 but he is in my dream team and I don't want to give him away yet ;)

I must say I'm tempted to bring Klose into my team. He has been in good touch in the warm up games and will bully the rubbish the krauts have in their group before going scoreless for the rest of Germany's campaign. The Graeme Smith of international football.

Bresciano to be Australia's leading scorer @ $7.

Simon

Great Birtannia said:
My darkhorse for the golden boot is paying $30 but he is in my dream team and I don't want to give him away yet ;)

I must say I'm tempted to bring Klose into my team. He has been in good touch in the warm up games and will bully the rubbish the krauts have in their group before going scoreless for the rest of Germany's campaign. The Graeme Smith of international football.

Bresciano to be Australia's leading scorer @ $7.
hmm Pauleta, Gilardino, Lampard, Podolski or Trezeguet i think...