• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shock First Round Exit

First Round Exit?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Which of the group favourites do you think is most likely to bow out early and return home in disgrace?

Argentina for me unless Messi is at full fitness and has a brilliant world cup.

Serbia & Montenegro are solid defensively and physically intimidating, Ivory Coast are the best African side at the cup and the Dutch have a solid base with attacking flair to worry Argentina's questionable defence. Then there is the whole European WC angle.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I've got Ivory Coast beating Argentina to go through to the 2nd Round :D Also, perhaps Czech Republic missing out to Ghana.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Either Italy for Argentina for me... The Czechs are the smokies and i think Italy could get a shock from the US.. And Argentina have a very very tough group and it would not surprise me at all to see them go out straight up...

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Italy for me, i think all of these 8 sides will get through though...
Of all the teams most people expect to make it through i can see Poland missing out from Group A, with Costa Rica surpising many and making it to the round of 16.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Great Birtannia said:
Which of the group favourites do you think is most likely to bow out early and return home in disgrace?
Shame you limited it to group favourites, because looking at that Argentina group, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Dutch heading home early, but I couldn't vote for them!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
marc71178 said:
Home sides always, but always get through the group stages...
Yep, everyone fanc ied USA to be the first to fail, but back then 3rd place went through. And then everyone fancied Japan/South Korea to bow out first time round, but both did well...how good it would be if Germany were to be the first!!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Yep, everyone fanc ied USA to be the first to fail, but back then 3rd place went through. And then everyone fancied Japan/South Korea to bow out first time round, but both did well...how good it would be if Germany were to be the first!!!
Won't happen.

FIFA have an obligation for hosts to advance if you get my drift...

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Interesting to see Portugal leading the way, I voted for them.

They'll slip up against Mexico and Karimi will destroy them in the Iran game.

oz_fan

International Regular
Italy - even though I think they will go through the Czech Republic or the USA are good enough sides to pull off some upsets.

Craig

World Traveller
Argentina.

I can understand them leaving out Santiago Solari, Juan Sebastian Veron, and Kily Gonzalez, but Pekeremen's decision to drop Javier Zanetti and Walter Samuel will hurt them.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
marc71178 said:
Shame you limited it to group favourites, because looking at that Argentina group, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Dutch heading home early, but I couldn't vote for them!
Yeah I probably should have included the Dutch and the Czechs. I don't think anyone else missing out would be a massive shock.