• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup squads announced

Craig

World Traveller
How come Sebastian Frey keeps getting over looked, for even being 3rd choice? Is Domenech not a fan, and it seems it was the case under their last manager? And isn't it the same Vikash Dhorasoo (is he of Indian origin? His names sounds like it is?) who was crap for Milan but I suppose he has found his feet back in France though...

I probably have to consider getting Setanta Sport.

Cloete

International Captain
Jungle Jumbo said:
Why no Giuly? How can Saha and Cisse be there and Giuly not?

Ribery is one to watch, outstanding talent.

My dark horses, decent back four and keeper, strong midfield, Shevchenko up front should he recover in time.
That's by no stretch of the imagination a solid midfield. Tymoschuk's quite good but the rest are nothing special and their midfield would struggle to be called average at the international level.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Cloete said:
That's by no stretch of the imagination a solid midfield. Tymoschuk's quite good but the rest are nothing special and their midfield would struggle to be called average at the international level.
Andriy Husin is pretty dependable and Ruslan Rotan is supposedly an up-and-coming playmaker.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
really surprised that Aregentina have left out Zanetti who one of the best right back in the world & France have left out Guily after such a superb season with Barcelona & Pires, i reckon Francw will regret leaving them out.

Also even though spain have some talented young mid-fielders in Fabregas, Inniesta & Senna i think it was unwise to leave such a experienced player like Baraja out. He should have been in at least over Senna because i think the other really two deserve to go. Morientes not being in the squad is also a surprise, but with abundance of mid-field talent the spaniards have i guess they had sacrifice him.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
really surprised that Aregentina have left out Zanetti who one of the best right back in the world & France have left out Guily after such a superb season with Barcelona & Pires, i reckon Francw will regret leaving them out.

Also even though spain have some talented young mid-fielders in Fabregas, Inniesta & Senna i think it was unwise to leave such a experienced player like Baraja out. He should have been in at least over Senna because i think the other really two deserve to go. Morientes not being in the squad is also a surprise, but with abundance of mid-field talent the spaniards have i guess they had sacrifice him.
The French making more idiotic decisions . There managers seem to be continously making obsurd selection decisions. How they could leave Guily out i really dont know. And as i have already said they have:

BOUMSONG

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
The first word you missed is "was" in reference to Zanetti.

As for the 2 Frenchmen, neither deserve a call up IMO - for one thing Pires wasn't a guaranteed Arsenal starter...

Craig

World Traveller
Pothas said:
The French making more idiotic decisions . There managers seem to be continously making obsurd selection decisions. How they could leave Guily out i really dont know. And as i have already said they have:

BOUMSONG
Personally I would take Mexes instead.

Craig

World Traveller
aussie said:

Isn't Senna close to 30?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
The first word you missed is "was" in reference to Zanetti.

As for the 2 Frenchmen, neither deserve a call up IMO - for one thing Pires wasn't a guaranteed Arsenal starter...
And Cisse is not a permanent fixture in the Liverpool team, much harder to get into the Barcelona line up or even the Arsenal midfield than to start up front for Liverpool. Both players should feel aggrieved that they are not going to the World Cup because the manager dislikes them, not because they had bad seasons.

Craig

World Traveller
TT Boy said:
Yeah he is.
Speaking of Senna did anybody else hear about his gaffle on national TV where he struggled to name the colous of the Spanish flag? How he got citizenship I have no idea...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
I still want to know why Frey continues to get overlooked for Fobo the Clown?
Frey's been injured for the best part of this season, hasn’t he?

Hence the reason why Bogdan Lobont was brought in at Florence. I really rate Sébastien, thought years ago that this kid would be the future number one of France for years but also thought the same for Mickael Landreau.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
Speaking of Senna did anybody else hear about his gaffle on national TV where he struggled to name the colous of the Spanish flag? How he got citizenship I have no idea...
Fair play to the bloke, his down his time but not knowing your 'national' colours is laughable though I doubt many of are boys know who their Prime Minister is.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
Isn't Senna close to 30?
he is?, well i'm not sure i remember the CL semi-final vs Arsenal & tommy smith making a comment saying "young Senna has been a revelation in Villareal success this season'' or something of the sort.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
And Cisse is not a permanent fixture in the Liverpool team, much harder to get into the Barcelona line up or even the Arsenal midfield than to start up front for Liverpool. Both players should feel aggrieved that they are not going to the World Cup because the manager dislikes them, not because they had bad seasons.
yea Guily & Pires are much better than those selected above them, its unfortunate that the coach dislikes them.

Craig

World Traveller
TT Boy said:
Frey's been injured for the best part of this season, hasn’t he?

Hence the reason why Bogdan Lobont was brought in at Florence. I really rate Sébastien, thought years ago that this kid would be the future number one of France for years but also thought the same for Mickael Landreau.
How good of a goal keeper is Landreau?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
How good of a goal keeper is Landreau?
From what I have seen of him very good but that was a long time ago, when he was 21 and captain of Nantes. Supposedly his form of late has not been that good but he has just joined French Cup Winner’s Paris Saint-Germain, so maybe he can improve himself in a better team and environment.