• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Provisional Spanish Squad

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Provisional 27-man Spain squad for the World Cup:

Casillas (Real Madrid), Reina (Liverpool), Canizares (Valencia); Capdevila (Deportivo La Coruna), Puyol (Barcelona), Salgado, Ramos (both Real Madrid), Marchena (Valencia), Del Horno (Chelsea), Lopez, Ibanez (both Atletico Madrid), Juanito (Real Betis), Venta (Villarreal); Albelda, Baraja (both Valencia), Luis Garcia, Xabi Alonso (both Liverpool), Joaquin (Real Betis), Fabregas (Arsenal), Iniesta, Xavi (both Barcelona), Senna (Villarreal); Reyes (Arsenal), Morientes (Liverpool), Villa (Valencia), Torres (Atletico Madrid), Raul (Real Madrid).

No Vicente, very surprised by Luis Aragones omission especially when he was waxing lyrical about how good Vicente is early this season. Elsewhere looks pretty much as one would expect, Morientes getting selected because his Raul's best friend and you would have to think people such as Senna, Lopez, Venta have no chance (injuries permitting) of travelling to Germany.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Victor Valdez is another one who is unlucky to miss out i think, has looked very good in all the games that Barcelona has played this season.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
Victor Valdez is another one who is unlucky to miss out i think, has looked very good in all the games that Barcelona has played this season.
I would disagree, I think Valdes is not a particularly good or even safe GK though he has been far more impressive this season than last. But good enough to challenge Casillas, Canizares and Reina don’t think so.

cricketboy29

International Regular
TT Boy said:

Casillas (Real Madrid), Reina (Liverpool), Canizares (Valencia); Capdevila (Deportivo La Coruna), Puyol (Barcelona), Salgado, Ramos (both Real Madrid), Marchena (Valencia), Del Horno (Chelsea), Lopez, Ibanez (both Atletico Madrid), Juanito (Real Betis), Venta (Villarreal); Albelda, Baraja (both Valencia), Luis Garcia, Xabi Alonso (both Liverpool), Joaquin (Real Betis), Fabregas (Arsenal), Iniesta, Xavi (both Barcelona), Senna (Villarreal); Reyes (Arsenal), Morientes (Liverpool), Villa (Valencia), Torres (Atletico Madrid), Raul (Real Madrid).

No Vicente, very surprised by Luis Aragones omission especially when he was waxing lyrical about how good Vicente is early this season. Elsewhere looks pretty much as one would expect, Morientes getting selected because his Raul's best friend and you would have to think people such as Senna, Lopez, Venta have no chance (injuries permitting) of travelling to Germany.
I would've though Iraola, would've least warranted a mention. Goal keepers are def. spot on though. Strikers have a sort of sameness to them, morientes seems to be getting really blah. I like the selection of Fabregas. All in all, a pretty good squad.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
I would disagree, I think Valdes is not a particularly good or even safe GK though he has been far more impressive this season than last. But good enough to challenge Casillas, Canizares and Reina don’t think so.
well yea your right, he still is way out #4..

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
TT Boy said:

Not a bad squad there. Definite quarter finalists.

Craig

World Traveller
Surely Reina should be second choice for Spain, the form he has shown for Liverpool and made their defence look a lot better then what it did under Kirkland, Dudek etc.?

A little bit surprised that Iniesta was there, doesn't like anything that special, or would push the likes of Xavi, Xabi Alonso etc.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Iniesta's actually quite good from what I've seen of him. He's got talent for sure.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I would disagree, I think Valdes is not a particularly good or even safe GK though he has been far more impressive this season than last. But good enough to challenge Casillas, Canizares and Reina don’t think so
i agree, hes been distinctly unimpressive, easily the weakest link in barcelonas side.

Craig

World Traveller
With 24 goals this season since his summer switch from Real Zaragoza, does anybody believe that David Villa should start up front alongside Raul, or they will go with Torres instead. They have plenty of options depending on formation they would like to pick.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
raul shouldnt be in the squad at all really, hes only there on reputation after having several pretty terrible seasons.

Craig

World Traveller
On paper a great squad in general.

IMO you have the second best goal keeper in the world in goal, some good defenders, an awesome midfield, and some good striking options.

Pity they can't put the Basque, Catalan (if you have studied some Spanish history would would probably understand) or whatever other issues a side and play as a team. I mean I bet Xabi Alonso or Asier del Horno probably would consider themselves Basques first and Spanish second.

Craig

World Traveller
Thinking more about Spanish football today, and is it me or has Joaquin been out of form for Betis this season?

Everytime I watch Betis play he has done nothing.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure about the selection dilemmas, but I'm surprised to not see Iraola there... Likewise with Valeron & Raul Tamudo. Must admit, they need to change the sheets, per se, and get rid of Raul & Morientes.