• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Provisional Spanish Squad

Cloete

International Captain
Craig said:
On paper a great squad in general.

IMO you have the second best goal keeper in the world in goal, some good defenders, an awesome midfield, and some good striking options.

Pity they can't put the Basque, Catalan (if you have studied some Spanish history would would probably understand) or whatever other issues a side and play as a team. I mean I bet Xabi Alonso or Asier del Horno probably would consider themselves Basques first and Spanish second.
The fact that you have clubs like Sociedad and Bilbao doesn't help much though, does it?

Really their problems are with Extremadura and the likes rather than Madrid itself. Purely economically based like alot of splits that seem to be occurring these days (Holland, Sudan, Bouganville etc.).

Back on track, here's their final team:

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Pepe Reina (Liverpool), Santiago Canizares (Valencia)

Defenders: Antonio Lopez (Atletico Madrid), Pablo Ibanez (Atletico Madrid), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Juanito (Real Betis), Asier del Horno (Chelsea), Michel Salgado (Real Madrid), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Carlos Marchena (Valencia)

Midfielders: Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Jose Antonio Reyes (Arsenal), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Xavi (Barcelona), Joaquin (Real Betis), Luis Garcia (Liverpool), Xabi Alonso (Liverpool), David Albelda (Valencia), Marcos Senna (Villarreal)

Forwards: Fernando Torres (Atletico Madrid), Raul (Real Madrid), David Villa (Valencia)

Looks like a good team to me, defensively I'm not so sure though. Iniesta is a great player, was basically their best player in the one game against Benfica. Good tackler, good distributor and has a bit of creativity to boot. I'd actually have him in over Xabi Alonso. Vicente's unlucky though, I'd have him in my team.

Craig

World Traveller
I believe Vicente has had injury problems?

Otherwise I'm pleased that Fabregas, hopefully he will do well if he gets any/or enough game time.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
I believe Vicente has had injury problems?

Otherwise I'm pleased that Fabregas, hopefully he will do well if he gets any/or enough game time.
That was Luis Aragonés justification (excuse) but the same tag could be applied to Joaquin, Raul, Xavi et cetera.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
personally id say vicente is a lot more deserving of a place in the squad than raul, were villa and torres not so similar i would have them starting up front together.

Craig

World Traveller
I was watching the Sevilla v Real Madrid game earlier this morning and they said Raul hasn't scored for Real Madrid since October 26? I know he has injury problems for a while but :mellow: :-O :wacko: :blink:

Have I got the dates correct?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
no, you are correct, which is precisely why raul should be nowhere near the squad, he isnt the player he is, and untill someone has the bottle to drop him spain will continue to underperform.

Craig

World Traveller
I think the coach would probably be fired if he dared left Raul out.

Put it this way I don't think it would be wise going to sit with a bunch of Real Madrid fans...