• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England in 1990 vs England in 2006

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well as long as i have been following football the current England team is the best overall without doubt and many people have rated it the best since we last won the cup back in 1966. But just a few minutes ago my father was telling me the side that lost in the semi's in Italy 90 was equally good or even better than the present day side. Thoughts?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
We had the world's greatest goalie in Shilts, a brilliant sweeper in Ooo Mark Wright, Lineker, Gazza, Psycho, Des Walker, Terry Butcher, Peter Obviously-Beardsley and one or two others too forgettable to name. And David Platt.

They'd have wiped the floor with the Rooneyless 2006 version (although saying that we did have Chris Waddle in 1990, so that might have made it tighter)

Craig

World Traveller
Probably still are hopeless in a penalty shoot-out (both teams).

Although Gazza would easily win the pizzia pie eating contest about as convincingly (sp) as South Africa beat New Zealand in the 1st Test a few weeks back.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
We had the world's greatest goalie in Shilts, a brilliant sweeper in Ooo Mark Wright, Lineker, Gazza, Psycho, Des Walker, Terry Butcher, Peter Obviously-Beardsley and one or two others too forgettable to name. And David Platt.

They'd have wiped the floor with the Rooneyless 2006 version (although saying that we did have Chris Waddle in 1990, so that might have made it tighter)
pretty much the same thing pops said, but again sounds goood..

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Good team, and World in Motion urinates all over Embrace's World Cup tune

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
World in Motion urinates all over Embrace's World Cup tune
it moset certainly does. Personally i would say the 2006 squad is however stronger than the one in 1990.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:

Ashley Cole is a far better player than Stewart Pearce ever was.
I dont know but i would rekon John Terry would be just as good if not better than Butcher
Lampard and Gerrard better than David Platt
and Owen is not far of Lineker.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pothas said:
Ashley Cole is a far better player than Stewart Pearce ever was.
I dont know but i would rekon John Terry would be just as good if not better than Butcher
Lampard and Gerrard better than David Platt
and Owen is not far of Lineker.
Ashley Cole might well be as a footballer, but (and remember this is a Derby fan saying this) Pearce the Florist is made up of the same kind of stuff that Dave Mackay was made of.

John Terry is that type of character, granted, and looks to be equally as good a footballer as Ooo Mark Wright - a huge plus for the 2006 squad and the best all-round defender I've seen in English football for more than 20 years.

It remains to be seen whether Lampard, Gerrard, Joe Cole or anyone else out of the 2006 luckybag of prettyboy midfielders are better than my old socks as far as their England displays are concerned. All too often, any of the trio (individually or collectively) have just gone missing with England - which is strange because all (excluding Beckham) have been fantastic in club football for the last year or so.

Losing Rooney was a savage blow, but if the rest are as good as their reputations, we'll be all right.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:
It remains to be seen whether Lampard, Gerrard, Joe Cole or anyone else out of the 2006 luckybag of prettyboy midfielders are better than my old socks as far as their England displays are concerned.
IMO Cole's been the pick of the England midfield this year - really made that left sided role his own.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
IMO Cole's been the pick of the England midfield this year - really made that left sided role his own.
Yes, there I do agree. It was their ineffectiveness collectively that clouded my vision.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
marc71178 said:
Going forward maybe.

Not defensively though.
In Euro 2004 Cole was fantastic defensively as well as going forwards, and has been since. Still, I wouldn't rate him as highly as Pearce as a defender, so fair point

Shilton over Robinson, Terry over Wright, Rooney over Beardsley, Lineker over Owen, Joe Cole over Waddle, Gazza and Gerrard not a lot to choose - the two teams would produce a good contest actually!

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
1990 Gazza ****es all over Gerrard. Wright in '90 was very very good, close between he and Terry, to be honest I'd keep Waddle over Cole, another close decision though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
1990 Gazza was very special, arguably the best midfielder in the world
And I think you could say the same about Gerrard, IMO of course

As for Mark Wright I will 100% admit that he is a man I personally hate (and for very good reasons that I won't go into and it would probably infringe board rules for legal reasons if I did) and that does dhroud my judgement of him, though I do know he was a very good player, average manager mind you

BoyBrumby

Englishman
GeraintIsMyHero said:
In Euro 2004 Cole was fantastic defensively as well as going forwards, and has been since. Still, I wouldn't rate him as highly as Pearce as a defender, so fair point

Shilton over Robinson, Terry over Wright, Rooney over Beardsley, Lineker over Owen, Joe Cole over Waddle, Gazza and Gerrard not a lot to choose - the two teams would produce a good contest actually!
In their prime, yes, but (and this may be sacrilege to some) I'd take the 2006 Robinson over the 40 year old Shilts of 1990. Still reckon he could've done better with the Brehme/Parker free-kick.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
In their prime, yes, but (and this may be sacrilege to some) I'd take the 2006 Robinson over the 40 year old Shilts of 1990. Still reckon he could've done better with the Brehme/Parker free-kick.
Will Robinson get the start, or will it be Calamity? We all know what Sven thinks of old Dodgy Keeper.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Not sacrilege at all.

I'm making allowances on account of you being mental.

/runs