• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best of the Rest - World Cup Squad

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Ok, so I'm sitting here bored and have decided to piece together a squad of players whose countries choked in the qualifiers *cough* Nigeria *cough* and those that didn't stand a chance e.g. Wales :)

Only one player per country is allowed in the 23 man squad. I have come up with the following team:

Shay Given (Newcastle, Republic of Ireland)

Carlos Diogo (Real Madrid, Uruguay)
Ivan Cordoba (Inter, Colombia)
Juan Manuel Pena (Villarreal, Bolivia)
Christian Chivu (Roma, Romania)

Aliaksander Hleb (Arsenal, Belarus)
Mahamadou Diarra (Lyon, Mali)
Thomas Gravesen (Real Madrid, Denmark)
Ryan Giggs (Manchester United, Wales)

Samuel Eto’o (Barcelona, Cameroon)
Sanli Tuncay (Fenerbache, Turkey)

Subs:

Jussi Jääskeläinen (Bolton, Finland)
Igor Akinfeev (CSKA Moscow, Russia)
Kakha Kaladze (AC Milan, Georgia)
Vincent Kompany (Anderlecht, Belgium)
Papa Bouba Diop (Fulham, Senegal)
Giorgos Karagounis (Benfica, Greece)
Morten Gamst Pedersen (Blackburn, Norway)
Yossi Benayoun (West Ham, Israel)
Eidur Gudjohnsen (Chelsea, Iceland)
Mido (Tottenham, Egypt)
Obafemi Martins (Inter, Nigeria)
Dimitar Berbatov (Leverkusen, Bulgaria)

It's a pretty handy little squad. Eto'o is probably the only genuine world class player but geez there is a fair bit of quality there. How far could my little squad go?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, seeing as there are two threads started by the same guy almost worded identically and covering precisely the same subject - and started six minutes apart (obviously becoming a Derbyshire supporter - "wick in t' ead"), even though it's a few years too late I should like to nominate one or the other of the Andy Gorams.