• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time Best Goalkeepers

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Cloete said:
Chilavert's overrated IMO. He really wasn't anything special as a keeper. A solid one at best.
Note the seventh name in my list and realise I wasn't being entirely serious. Chilavert, like Glass, will go down in history for reasons other than his ability between the sticks.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Taffarel, Seaman, Banks, Shilton, Schmeichel, Zoff, Yashin and for reasons other than out and out goalkeeping Chilavert and Higuita.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Schmiechel's the best I've seen, other notables include Neville Southall, Seaman and Khan.

Generally prefer British 'keepers over European ones.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:
Generally prefer British 'keepers over European ones.
Why?

Because they catch the ball or because their British and jingoism dictates that British is best. ;)

Also best GK I have seen in reality Walter Zenga, on TV Oliver Kahn.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Going to see Shilts on Monday at Ted McMinn's benefit match - and of course the 9-times champions Rangers side will be in force - my one chance to sing the greatest football song of all time "Two Andy Gorams, there's only two Andy Gorams...."

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
Going to see Shilts on Monday at Ted McMinn's benefit match - and of course the 9-times champions Rangers side will be in force - my one chance to sing the greatest football song of all time "Two Andy Gorams, there's only two Andy Gorams...."
We've had Kevin Pressman playing for us this season :dry:
(Nearly had Des Walker + Carlton Palmer too playing too, looked like the '93 Sheff Wed team at one point 8-) )

EDIT: For those that don't know - Pressman is of a comparable size to Andy Goram....

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Matteh said:
We've had Kevin Pressman playing for us this season :dry:
(Nearly had Des Walker + Carlton Palmer too playing too, looked like the '93 Sheff Wed team at one point 8-) )

EDIT: For those that don't know - Pressman is of a comparable size to Andy Goram....
The 'Two Andy Gorams' song is because he was diagnosed as suffering from schizophrenia

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
Ordinarily with The Huns in town I'd be memorising some choice insults, but I'll be on my best behaviour in respect of the tin man. Honest. Well, I'll really try.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
Was Zico a goal-keeper?, if he was i think he was good. Also there is this bloke who played for Sweden who is in FIFA 2006..

I rate Buffon very highly & Oliver Khan during the 2000-2003 period was pretty good..
Jesus , you claim yourself to be a football fan. I dont follow football much, but Zico a goalkeeper ??8-) 8-)

And the only guy in the world can spell kahn as khan :@ :@ is you. Ridiculous, you should be barred from entering any football thread.

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
Also best GK I have seen in reality Walter Zenga
Here in Italy, many fans have not forgiven Zenga for what he did in the 1990 World Cup. That semifinal vs Argentina was a cursed game and we still have regrets!! We were winning 1-0: then Zenga tried to catch a ball in the area but he missed it. Caniggia hit the ball with his head... The goal was empty... Argentina tied the game!! Then, we played OT and then... PENALTY SHOOTOUTS!! What a disaster. In his entire career, I don't think Zenga blocked a penalty shot!! He was always diving too early. If he dived on his left side, the striker would kick on his right! If he had waited 1/2 second (no more than this), he would have saved some penalties.

-------

In Italy, we always had great keepers: starting with Combi (in 1934)! Now we have Gianluigi Buffon, who is really great (although he was injured during this season). But we don't have to forget Albertosi, Zoff, Tacconi, Zenga (OK, he was great), Peruzzi, Toldo, Buffon!

Great goalies from other countries:

Ricardo Zamora (Spain). In the 30s he was a legend. It was thought that he ipnotized his opponents!! He could save everything. In the 1934 quarterfinals, Italy played vs Spain. Spain scored first. We were on the brink of elimination, because Zamora saved everything.
Then, Ferrari tied the game: actually, there was a foul on Zamora, but the referee did not see it!! In the 1930s, there were no extra times or penalty shootouts, so the game was replayed the next day: Zamora was injured and did not play... Italy won 1-0!

Gilmar dos Santos Neves. He won the World Cup in 1958 and 1962 with Brasil. He was really good (although Brasil is not the land of the keepers).

Lev Jashin

Sepp Maier

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
René Higuita. Of scorpion kicks and idiotic screwing around in the middle of his own half.
*sees Roger Milla doing his corner dance routine*

Never tired of watching my Dad's Italia 90 videos.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Clearly David Seaman.
perhaps one of my favourite all time players, untill he went poor and refused to retire, his off the field relationships leave a lot to be desired as well.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
sledger said:
perhaps one of my favourite all time players, untill he went poor and refused to retire, his off the field relationships leave a lot to be desired as well.
And his hairstyles.