• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Provisional Dutch Squad Named

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Netherlands squad:
Goalkeepers: Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United), Henk Timmer (AZ Alkmaar), Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax Amsterdam), Patrick Lodewijks (Feyenoord)

Defenders: Khalid Boulahrouz (SV Hamburg), Wilfred Bouma (Aston Villa), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Barcelona), Tim de Cler (AZ Alkmaar), Urby Emanuelson (Ajax Amsterdam), Kew Jaliens (AZ Alkmaar), Jan Kromkamp (Liverpool), Joris Mathijsen (AZ Alkmaar), Andre Ooijer (PSV Eindhoven), Barry Opdam (AZ Alkmaar), Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord)

Midfielders: George Boateng (Middlesbrough), Mark van Bommel (Barcelona), Philip Cocu (PSV Eindhoven), Edgar Davids (Tottenham Hotspur), Nigel de Jong (SV Hamburg), Denny Landzaat (AZ Alkmaar), Hedwiges Maduro (Ajax Amsterdam), Wesley Sneijder (Ajax Amsterdam), Rafael van der Vaart (SV Hamburg)

Strikers: Ryan Babel (Ajax Amsterdam), Romeo Castelen (Feyenoord), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Ajax Amsterdam), Dirk Kuijt (Feyenoord), Martijn Meerdink (AZ Alkmaar), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Arjen Robben (Chelsea), Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (PSV Eindhoven)
--------------------------

20 of the 33 players are still Dutch based, to me it looks like a pretty solid squad atm and id be interested to see who will get left out, i really hope Huntelaar gets picked cause hes in such good form a guy who can score goals as reguarly as he has been is crucial in a major tournament. i thought Seedorf might of still had a chance of making it, but im not too disapointed, it will also be interesting to see if Davids makes the final team...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
broncoman said:
20 of the 33 players are still Dutch based, to me it looks like a pretty solid squad atm and id be interested to see who will get left out, i really hope Huntelaar gets picked cause hes in such good form a guy who can score goals as reguarly as he has been is crucial in a major tournament.
Darren Bent scores goals regularly, but I can't see him being crucial to England's plans.

Wasimullah

Cricket Spectator
broncoman said:
Netherlands squad:
Goalkeepers: Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United), Henk Timmer (AZ Alkmaar), Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax Amsterdam), Patrick Lodewijks (Feyenoord)

Defenders: Khalid Boulahrouz (SV Hamburg), Wilfred Bouma (Aston Villa), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Barcelona), Tim de Cler (AZ Alkmaar), Urby Emanuelson (Ajax Amsterdam), Kew Jaliens (AZ Alkmaar), Jan Kromkamp (Liverpool), Joris Mathijsen (AZ Alkmaar), Andre Ooijer (PSV Eindhoven), Barry Opdam (AZ Alkmaar), Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord)

Midfielders: George Boateng (Middlesbrough), Mark van Bommel (Barcelona), Philip Cocu (PSV Eindhoven), Edgar Davids (Tottenham Hotspur), Nigel de Jong (SV Hamburg), Denny Landzaat (AZ Alkmaar), Hedwiges Maduro (Ajax Amsterdam), Wesley Sneijder (Ajax Amsterdam), Rafael van der Vaart (SV Hamburg)

Strikers: Ryan Babel (Ajax Amsterdam), Romeo Castelen (Feyenoord), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Ajax Amsterdam), Dirk Kuijt (Feyenoord), Martijn Meerdink (AZ Alkmaar), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Arjen Robben (Chelsea), Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (PSV Eindhoven)
--------------------------

20 of the 33 players are still Dutch based, to me it looks like a pretty solid squad atm and id be interested to see who will get left out, i really hope Huntelaar gets picked cause hes in such good form a guy who can score goals as reguarly as he has been is crucial in a major tournament. i thought Seedorf might of still had a chance of making it, but im not too disapointed, it will also be interesting to see if Davids makes the final team...
Is Roy Makaay injured ?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
if that not the case, i think its a bit foolish to leave Makaay out. Also thought Seedorf may have had a chance.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
broncoman said:
From what I've heard Seedorf is about as popular among his fellow pros as a French kiss at a family reunion.

Given Holland's habit of falling out with each other it may not be a bad idea to leave him out this time.

Simon

marc71178 said:
Darren Bent scores goals regularly, but I can't see him being crucial to England's plans.
Huntelaar is a quality player, he obviously wont be picked in front of RVN or Kuijt, but he should be there in the squad somewhere...

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Huntelaar is a bit awesome! scores soo easly!
all these AZ players selected, I dont see that justified !
Seedorf shouldnt be in.
pitty Stam stopped, Davids should play! yes I think he should, although a bit to much of a temprament imo.
this squad knows what they can do, they seem like they are mates, which teams of the past didnt show most of the time!
yup I can see us getting somewhere!

Simon

Kweek said:
Huntelaar is a bit awesome! scores soo easly!
all these AZ players selected, I dont see that justified !
Seedorf shouldnt be in.
pitty Stam stopped, Davids should play! yes I think he should, although a bit to much of a temprament imo.
this squad knows what they can do, they seem like they are mates, which teams of the past didnt show most of the time!
yup I can see us getting somewhere!
i cant see all the AZ players making the squad though, of those named in the 33 i think only de Cler, Opdam and Landzaat will make the WC...
still on Huntelaar, if he isnt in the squad ill be more than shocked...

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
no real surprises there for me personally, although i would have thought makaay would have been included along with seedorf, but i dont think they will be missed particularly. Slightly surprised to see Davis there though, with concerns over his fitness. Very pleased to see Maduro and Emanuelson called up, if they get a go in the side i would back them to do well.

Simon

sledger said:
no real surprises there for me personally, although i would have thought makaay would have been included along with seedorf, but i dont think they will be missed particularly. Slightly surprised to see Davis there though, with concerns over his fitness. Very pleased to see Maduro and Emanuelson called up, if they get a go in the side i would back them to do well.
Maduro is a certainty imo, from what i know of him i believe hes pretty versatile and a very solid player...

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
yeah thats the general impression i got as well, plays in both defence and midfield, what i have seen of him has unfortunately been pretty limited so i look forward to seeing more of him.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Is Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink some sort of noble or something. I thought 'de' was 'of' (like in French), eg de Boer. Why does this guy have an English word in the middle of his name. And what do the commentators use - Hesselink?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:
Is Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink some sort of noble or something. I thought 'de' was 'of' (like in French), eg de Boer. Why does this guy have an English word in the middle of his name. And what do the commentators use - Hesselink?
From memory it's the two places (farms) where Jan grew up and was born it (the houses of Vennegoor and Hesselink), World Soccer did an article years ago on it and of in Dutch means or in English (Jan Vennegoor or Hesselink). Also from watching Dutch football on the box, Hesselink is what he is usually called because it is or meaning you pick one or the other, you do not usually say both though English commentaries tend to.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Just to add to that, from the Guardian

What's the story behind Dutch striker Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink's unusually area-specific name?" asks David Atkinson.

According to our research, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink was thus named because, way back in the 17th century, two farming families in the Enschede area of Holland intermarried. Both the Vennegoor and Hesselink names carried equal social weight, and so - rather than choose between them - they chose to use both.

'Of' in Dutch actually translates to 'or', which would mean that a strict translation of his name would read Jan Vennegoor or Hesselink.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
TT Boy said:
Just to add to that, from the Guardian

What's the story behind Dutch striker Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink's unusually area-specific name?" asks David Atkinson.

According to our research, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink was thus named because, way back in the 17th century, two farming families in the Enschede area of Holland intermarried. Both the Vennegoor and Hesselink names carried equal social weight, and so - rather than choose between them - they chose to use both.

'Of' in Dutch actually translates to 'or', which would mean that a strict translation of his name would read Jan Vennegoor or Hesselink.
Very interesting.