• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Provisional Dutch Squad Named

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hes a former PSV player and was with us when we won the European cup in 88 so imo his links with PSV negate his Ajax days...
im just happy we have actually gotten a well known manager in, i just hope we can build on this season and continue it next year...

Craig

World Traveller
I believe they said on ESPN once that said apart from a few players it won't be a mass exodus as in usual seasons.

I will be shocked if Jefferson Farfan is still there.

Steulen

International Regular
Craig said:
What is Simon or even Steulen think of Ronald Koeman becoming the new manager of PSV? Given he used to be in charge of Ajax, would it go down well amonst with PSV or even Ajax fans since there would be a big rivalary between the two teams?
Koeman has a PSV history, he's one of the players who did well for both Ajax and PSV.

He was good in his first few years as Ajax manager, if anyone can come close to what Hiddink meant for the club, it's Koeman. But he's got his work cut out, that's for sure.

A lot will depend on which players leave during the summer. if Farfan and Alex go, it will be tough to do well next season, although fortunately both Ajax and Feyenoord are in a bigger mess.

Craig

World Traveller
I heard Alex is there to get his Dutch passport and then he will move on, with the likes of Milan being linked with him. I read somewhere that Chelsea actually own him but he is at PSV on loan?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
I heard Alex is there to get his Dutch passport and then he will move on, with the likes of Milan being linked with him. I read somewhere that Chelsea actually own him but he is at PSV on loan?
AFAIK Chelsea had some deal in place for him to join after something like 2 seasons - the only way PSV could afford him in the first place!

Simon

if Farfan leaves we should get some good money out of him, unlike a few others that have left in recent seasons...

Craig

World Traveller
I have a feeling it is a certainty, from what I have seen of him he does look potentially the goods and 19 goals will help his cause. I reckon if he does go it will be to Spain.

Apart from Mark van Bommel and those who have left on a free, it is the PSV who accept the low prices for these players so they are the one's to blame...

Simon

Craig said:
I have a feeling it is a certainty, from what I have seen of him he does look potentially the goods and 19 goals will help his cause. I reckon if he does go it will be to Spain.

Apart from Mark van Bommel and those who have left on a free, it is the PSV who accept the low prices for these players so they are the one's to blame...
Park and Lee left cheap because they had clauses in their contract, like minimum fee releases and these values were set before they were actually good...

Craig

World Traveller
Is it not possible to give them new contracts before the start of the season and not have minimum fee release clauses?

I think I have been playing too much FM.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Klaas-Jan Huntelaar will not be going to the World Cup, Van Basten has cut him from the squad, opting to go with Ruud van Nistelrooy, Dirk Kuyt and Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink instead. Also Heitinga will be travelling, replacing Opdam, interesting stat from the official World Cup site, Holland's 23-man squad contains only two players with World Cup experience Phillip Cocu and Edwin van der Sar.

Simon

thats a shock, even as a PSV fan i cant see how they can pick Vennegor over Huntelaar...

Craig

World Traveller
Really what more does KLH have to do to get in the squad? Score 17 goals with Heereenven, and then scores 20 more at Ajax and doesn't get in. Most players would be chuffed with 20 goals in a season, but that in less then five months at a bigger club makes it all the more impressive so I don't see how he doesn't not deserve to be there.

This is as farcial when Italy didn't take Gilardino to the last European Championships.

Simon

the only reason i can think of is because of the already large ammount of youngsters in the team, Holland need some experience and older heads in the squad and Vennegor brings that, i also guess Vennegor's qualities like creating goals for others got him the nod as Ruud and Kuijt are both pretty profilic strikers themselves...

Steulen

International Regular
broncoman said:
the only reason i can think of is because of the already large ammount of youngsters in the team, Holland need some experience and older heads in the squad and Vennegor brings that, i also guess Vennegor's qualities like creating goals for others got him the nod as Ruud and Kuijt are both pretty profilic strikers themselves...
Van Basten's reasoning was that he didn't want to take four centre forwards. Van Nistelrooy was always a certainty, Kuyt can also play as a winger, and Vennegoor is the crowbar for emergency situations. That left Huntelaar as the odd man out. He will play in the U21 Euro Champs in Portugal instead.

Apparently Van Basten feels that Huntelaar needs to develop his allround game more. He's lethal in the box, but not much use outside of it, unlike Kuyt and Van Nistelrooy who keep runnign until they drop dead.