• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which teams do you think can realistically win the WC ?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
TT Boy said:
That’s not really been the approach of Marcello Lippi's Azzurri, throughout qualifying they did take it easy and relax but in recent games namely their performances against Holland and Germany the Azzuri have played some quiet wondrous attacking football.
Very. Norway managed to dominate play at Ullevaal in June. Italy looked happy with 0-0 all the way and got it (think we created 2 chances out of 60 % possession...)

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
I don't know what to predict for Italy. We played so badly in 2002 and 2004 but in the past WCs we always played well. Since 1978, we reached the final twice, the semis 4 times. Only Germany and Brasil got better results in the same span of time. In 1986 we had one of the weakest teams of our history. We were the defending World Champion, so we didn't have to play the qualifications. If we had not won the title in Spain 1982, we would not have played in Mexico 1986 (just to say how weak was our team back then).

Let's go back to present: the qualifications were not that exciting, but we did what we needed to win the group. We suffered so much in Slovenia and Scotland (although it must also be said that we always SUCK when we play in September). However, we played very well against Holland (in Holland) and against Germany.

What can Italy do in Germany? I DON'T KNOW! Everything is possible: we can lose all three games and go home, but we can also go all the way. Buffon is a great goalie; Nesta and Cannavaro are very good defenders. Then, have a look to Luca Toni. This year he has scored 30 goals with Fiorentina! That is a lot!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
i wont hold my breath. Although would like to be proved wrong as long as its not at the expense of England.