• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which teams do you think can realistically win the WC ?

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
I would bet on a European team. Only in 1958 did a non-european nation won the world title in Europe (Brazil in Sweden). So, who is going to win? Great question:

- Brazil. They are the big favorite. But that team does not convince me 100%. Adriano hasn't been playing very well in the last few months. Ronaldinho is awesome, but he cannot win alone. Then, as I have just said before, only in 1958 did a non-european nation won the world title in Europe.

- Germany. Hosts can never be forgotten. And Germany is always a tough team to beat in the World Cup. Although this German team really sucks.

- Argentina. This is a team I used to love. They have a great talent. Sadly, they usually get lost in the tournament.

- England. I don't follow english football. I have heard that this team is good. However, England is always a big disappointment in the great competitions.

- Holland. Who knows?

- France. They can be the dark horse. They are much weaker than they were 8 years ago (in 1998 they had an awesome team). But that is a team I would avoid.

- Spain. Always a disappointment.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Steulen said:
Thing about the WC is, it's so predictable.

You'll get at least one of four powerhouses in the final, and most often two:

Italy, Germany, Brazil, Argentina.

Since actual skill has never meant anything to the Germans, you can write them down with a waterproof pen. They'll be there.

In the unlikely event of a second tier nation making it to the final, it will be one of...

France..ageing, but still one of the best teams around.
or
The Netherlands...not very likely but they've been there twice which could make a difference, and Germany is a happy hunting ground for them.

England? Czech Republic? Portugal? Spain? Don't make me laugh. All mediocre chokers when it really comes down to it. Maybe semi-final but no further.

Dark Horses: Ukraine, Ivory Coast, Mexico.

All the others are just making up the numbers.

BTW, I love the German name for Ivory Coast: Elfbeinkuste. Brilliant.
The last world cup was definetly not predictable and remember what happened in euro 2004??

You also rank England,Czech republic, Portuagal and Spain as mediocre chockers well since 1982 the same can apply to Italy who have a penalty shootout record thats as bad as Englands.

Brazil are clearly favourites but after them there is a whole host of nations who can win it this time around.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've reduced it to one.

Brazil.

Saying that, I have a sneaking suspicion that Germany will win the whole thing. Don't ask me how - realistically (as the thread title goes) they can't win it.

Except that I think they will.

I expect Italy to go belly-up as usual - probably would lose to the blind school. Same with Argentina.

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
You also rank England,Czech republic, Portuagal and Spain as mediocre chockers well since 1982 the same can apply to Italy who have a penalty shootout record thats as bad as Englands.
Well.. About Italy: we were terrible in 2002 and in Euro 2004, but usually Italy goes forward. We won in 1982, we reached the semi in 1990 (and we were very unlucky in the semi vs Argentina), we reached the final in 1994, we reached the quarterfinals in 1998 (lost against France after shootouts... If Baggio had scored that goal in the extra time, we could have won the Cup).

England has reached the semi in 1990, but nothing more than that (They didn't take part to USA 1994). Spain never goes beyond quarterfinals. What have done Portugal and Czech Republic in World Cups? Once Portugal reached the semis! But that was in 1966 when Eusebio was playing!!

Matteh

I'll have you know that the Czech Republic in it's former guise has been in a World Cup final....

Matteh

Stefano said:
- France. They can be the dark horse. They are much weaker than they were 8 years ago (in 1998 they had an awesome team). But that is a team I would avoid.
I wouldn't have said that the 98 French team was awesome - it was one glaring flaw in that they had noone up front who could actually score

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Italy were unlucky in '02 I thought, lots of decisions went against them. I'm still going for a repeat of the last final, with the same outcome.

cricketboy29

International Regular
Germany or Brazil for me.

Soft spot for Spain and Holland, but they just choke so much...:(

Last edited:

Matteh

Germany have a so so average team - but the combination of playing at home and a record of being in something like 6 of the last 10 finals means they'll stand a good chance.

Brazil obviously have a good chance

England + Argentina could go either way as usual - promise much will probably deliver little

Italy + Holland have great teams but will probably do similiar to Eng + Arg...and Holland could potentially struggle to get out their group too

Spain + Portugal will find some way despite the great players on their teams to make an absolute hash of the group stage and won't go all the way

And the tip for the minnow to do vaguely well - Iran

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pedro Delgado said:
Italy were unlucky in '02 I thought, lots of decisions went against them. I'm still going for a repeat of the last final, with the same outcome.
That's putting it politely. The ref in the South Korea game was a bloomin' disgrace.

Italy kind of bring it on themselves tho; they unfailingly adopt a cowardly, safety-first approach in major tournaments & seem to have an adversion to scoring more than the one goal.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Italy kind of bring it on themselves tho; they unfailingly adopt a cowardly, safety-first approach in major tournaments & seem to have an adversion to scoring more than the one goal.
That’s not really been the approach of Marcello Lippi's Azzurri, throughout qualifying they did take it easy and relax but in recent games namely their performances against Holland and Germany the Azzuri have played some quiet wondrous attacking football. The defensive backbone is there no more after Nesta and Fabio Cannavaro there is little of note (possibly Daniele Bonera but his progression has not been as good as one first thought) but I don’t expect a nervous or cautious approach from the Italians this time around because they have nothing to fall back on.

It be a sin too with such a wealth of attacking talent, for me possibly the best in the competition not even Brazil can much what the Italians currently hold, Totti, Toni, Vieri, Montella, Del Piero, Iaquinta, Gilardino, Lucarelli, Inzaghi, Tavano et cetera and if Lippi goes with his preferred three up top, Totti, Toni and likely Gilardino you would expect goals.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dont think Germany are quite as bad as everyone keeps saying, sure their squad isnt as good as it has been in the past, but its still pretty solid and better than most of the teams playing at the finals. I dont think they'll win it, but if they did it wouldnt shock me...

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
roseboy64 said:
Some great names for Italy ther but will they perform is the question?
some great names ? hardly, they have one or two world class players, that is all, the rest are all vastly overated or past it. Pirlo is the only player in their squad barring Buffon and maybe Nesta that i would say are genuinely world class.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
broncoman said:
I dont think Germany are quite as bad as everyone keeps saying, sure their squad isnt as good as it has been in the past, but its still pretty solid and better than most of the teams playing at the finals. I dont think they'll win it, but if they did it wouldnt shock me...
yes concurred, i expect them to have a good tournament personally, the added bonus of having home advantage will aid them. Nothing spectacular but i expect a solid perfomance from them.

Pothas

sledger said:
yes concurred, i expect them to have a good tournament personally, the added bonus of having home advantage will aid them. Nothing spectacular but i expect a solid perfomance from them.
Germany were awful in euro 2004 and there form since then has done nothing to suggest they are anytihg other than awful now. They will get out of their group and will probably beat Sweeden if they play them in the second round. Wont go any further than that though.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
sledger said:
some great names ? hardly, they have one or two world class players, that is all, the rest are all vastly overated or past it. Pirlo is the only player in their squad barring Buffon and maybe Nesta that i would say are genuinely world class.
I never said great players.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Players who have great reputations but may not necessarily be world class. I'm sure people know of Totti, Vieri, Inzaghi and Del Piero.