• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which teams do you think can realistically win the WC ?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
have to watch out for sides like the Czech Republic and Portugal as well id say both are decent outside bets

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
yes i would say so, or an african nation i would have thought, although i dont think one will win the entire thing, i wouldnt be surprised to see a team from africa advance to the semi finals perhaps as has happened in the more recent past.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
im surprised no one has mentioned Spain yet, i know they have had their issues at major tournaments in the past, but there is no doubting they have one of the best teams...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well probably because the spanish have the knack of really performing below par in big tournaments.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Pothas said:
have to watch out for sides like the Czech Republic and Portugal as well id say both are decent outside bets
Can't see the Czech Republic doing it without Pavel (unless he's done a u-turn I haven't heard about) and Portugal couldn't even beat Greece at home in Euro '04. England will (as usual) bottle it and I'll be surprised if we even make it as far as Brazil tbh. The Dutch can always implode, Spain never turn up, Italy might get the luck they "deserve" after Japan/SK, France have the makings of a good side but it might be too early.

I predict Brazil v Germany with the same outcome as last time, England to go out in the quarters, maybe semi's if we play above ourselves.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Only a fool would bet on Spain winning the World Cup. Or someone very lucky......
im sure only a fool would bet on greece winning euro 2004, and liverpool winning the champions leauge last year, and germany getting to the final last time round as well.....personally if you could get good odds on spain which i imagine you can i would have thought they would be worth a few quid, as you never know.

Wasimullah

Cricket Spectator
sledger said:
im sure only a fool would bet on greece winning euro 2004, and liverpool winning the champions leauge last year, and germany getting to the final last time round as well.....personally if you could get good odds on spain which i imagine you can i would have thought they would be worth a few quid, as you never know.

Spain are in a comparitively easy pool and if they top that, a potential 2nd rnd against the Swiss and a QF against the French loom.
If Spain can play to their potential early on and get into a groove (they gave some indication of that in 2002 before they were denied by the ref against South Korea), I fancy their chances of a semis berth.

I can't see them going all the way but a semis berth would be a good performance for a fairly young team.

Wasimullah

Cricket Spectator
Pedro Delgado said:
Can't see the Czech Republic doing it without Pavel (unless he's done a u-turn I haven't heard about) and Portugal couldn't even beat Greece at home in Euro '04. England will (as usual) bottle it and I'll be surprised if we even make it as far as Brazil tbh. The Dutch can always implode, Spain never turn up, Italy might get the luck they "deserve" after Japan/SK, France have the makings of a good side but it might be too early.

I predict Brazil v Germany with the same outcome as last time, England to go out in the quarters, maybe semi's if we play above ourselves.

What do you make of Argentina's chances ? A lot of people have been very quiet about them but they have quality all around the park (although their Gks are a little unproven) and if Pekerman can control his lads, this could well be their year.
I just have a gut feeling Argentina will make the semis at least this year.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Wasimullah said:
What do you make of Argentina's chances ? A lot of people have been very quiet about them but they have quality all around the park (although their Gks are a little unproven) and if Pekerman can control his lads, this could well be their year.
I just have a gut feeling Argentina will make the semis at least this year.
Aye, forgot about the Argies, you might be right there and Riquelme looks superb doesn't he. One thing about them is that their arrogance can get the better of them sometimes, and however many good players they have they don't seem to perform when it matters, see Ortega.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Spain are in a comparitively easy pool and if they top that, a potential 2nd rnd against the Swiss and a QF against the French loom.
If Spain can play to their potential early on and get into a groove (they gave some indication of that in 2002 before they were denied by the ref against South Korea), I fancy their chances of a semis berth.

I can't see them going all the way but a semis berth would be a good performance for a fairly young team.
yeah i would agree with that.

Steulen

International Regular
Thing about the WC is, it's so predictable.

You'll get at least one of four powerhouses in the final, and most often two:

Italy, Germany, Brazil, Argentina.

Since actual skill has never meant anything to the Germans, you can write them down with a waterproof pen. They'll be there.

In the unlikely event of a second tier nation making it to the final, it will be one of...

France..ageing, but still one of the best teams around.
or
The Netherlands...not very likely but they've been there twice which could make a difference, and Germany is a happy hunting ground for them.

England? Czech Republic? Portugal? Spain? Don't make me laugh. All mediocre chokers when it really comes down to it. Maybe semi-final but no further.

Dark Horses: Ukraine, Ivory Coast, Mexico.

All the others are just making up the numbers.

BTW, I love the German name for Ivory Coast: Elfbeinkuste. Brilliant.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Steulen said:
BTW, I love the German name for Ivory Coast: Elfbeinkuste. Brilliant.
Die Elfenbeinkueste i'll have you know...

Elfe = shortening of the word Elephant
Bein = Bone
Kueste = Coast

What you said would mean something like Eleven(or pixie)-bone coast.