• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's Path

Wasimullah

Cricket Spectator
Ok....I've just had a look at the schedule and if things go as per rankings (obviously that's a BIG IF given that upsets invariably occur in a tourney like this).....
England's path (if they top their pool which they really should) looks like:
V Poland (2nd rnd)
V Holland (Qf)
V Brazil (Sf)
V Italy v Argentina (final)

Hopefully it will be England V Argentina because hey I love England-Argentina contests.

But there you go......it doesn't look too bad does it now England fans ? :)

On a serious note though, I'm backing England to at least make the semis this time.
Hope I'm proved right.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Tempting fate a tad, no?

Although if you're an Aussie I can see why you might want to... ;)

We have a rotten record v Sweden (no competitive wins over them in 35 years) so I hope we've already qualified by the time we meet them. Poland we always beat but it's tough after that.

&, of course, we've never beaten Brazil in a competitve game.... :-O

Wasimullah

Cricket Spectator
BoyBrumby said:
Tempting fate a tad, no?

We have a rotten record v Sweden (no competitive wins over them in 35 years) so I hope we've already qualified by the time we meet them. Poland we always beat but it's tough after that.

Brumby, I'd love for the Jules Rimet trophy to be won by a team that has never won the WC before like say Holland.....but I know that's pretty unlikely for 2006.
So if It is to be an established nation, then I hope England do it.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Tempting fate a tad, no?

all true, but the Sweden game this time shouldn't be much of an issue since that clash should be to decide who wins the group. I wont mind if Sweden win though because we may be able to avoid Brazil in the semi-final and once all the boys are playing well, we got to back the boys to beat Brazil..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
aussie said:
all true, but the Sweden game this time shouldn't be much of an issue since that clash should be to decide who wins the group. I wont mind if Sweden win though because we may be able to avoid Brazil in the semi-final and once all the boys are playing well, we got to back the boys to beat Brazil..
Which just means we'll probabaly lose on Pens to yer Erics in the last 16.... :crybaby:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Aussie - genuine question, you supporting England, not Australia in the footy?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
haha, a good question, one that i imagine will bring out the old "glory supporter" tag.

seriously though, can england meet germany in the final ? if so, i will predict that will come about.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Wasimullah said:
Brumby, I'd love for the Jules Rimet trophy to be won by a team that has never won the WC before like say Holland
The Jules Rimet trophy was given to Brazil in 1970, wasn't it?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
And subsequently stolen and melted down!
It lasted nearly as long as the FA Cup when the fools at 16 Lancaster Gate trusted Aston Vanilla with it in 1895.