• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

32 Interviews in 56 days

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pratyush said:
Some interesting questions to ask USA would be nice.. :)
I've got one: we're constantly seeing articles that say Association Football (or sawker if you must :D) has the highest participation levels of any sport amongst American children, so why does its profile lag so far behind those of baseball, gridiron, hockey & NBA?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
BoyBrumby said:
I've got one: we're constantly seeing articles that say Association Football (or sawker if you must :D) has the highest participation levels of any sport amongst American children, so why does its profile lag so far behind those of baseball, gridiron, hockey & NBA?
Thanks! :happy:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
I aim to interview 32 fans from the 32 different countries
Does Scotland count? Good luck getting a Ghanan, too.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
steds said:
Does Scotland count? Good luck getting a Ghanan, too.
It would be tough really. I have got a fairly small nation in Iran though. So things are looking brighter. Also, along with US, if I can get some specific questions for Brazil as well, it would be great..

I know popular countries but I have only just started finding. :mellow:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Pratyush said:
It would be tough really. I have got a fairly small nation in Iran though. So things are looking brighter. Also, along with US, if I can get some specific questions for Brazil as well, it would be great..

Try joining Hattrick - you'll find football fans from all over the world there. Plus it's a fun game to play.

Cloete

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
That's a similar story with Australia really. Junior football is the most popular sport by a BIG margin.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
If it is the most popular sport (which I wasn't aware of, but I'll take your interstate word for it), then it's definitely not by a BIG margin. I know it may be different from state to state, but in Victoria, (as you would expect) AFL dominates, and then there's a big gap to rugby, soccer, etc.

Soccer isn't "huge", but it's definitely growing in popularity at an exponential rate.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
In terms of junior participation it is the biggest across all the states. I think your thinking more in terms of how many people go through the gates and watch on TV for the senior professional aspect of the sport. But in terms of how many juniors play the sport, its got a pretty significant gap and all the other team sports in Australia.

Cloete

International Captain
Robertinho said:
If it is the most popular sport (which I wasn't aware of, but I'll take your interstate word for it), then it's definitely not by a BIG margin. I know it may be different from state to state, but in Victoria, (as you would expect) AFL dominates, and then there's a big gap to rugby, soccer, etc.

Soccer isn't "huge", but it's definitely growing in popularity at an exponential rate.
Yeah like Tharmi said, I was just talking about juniors playing the game. I'd imagine football would be bigger than AFL even in Victoria in the earlier years. Although there is Auskick I spose.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
No, I was definitely talking about the levels of participation by young kids. In Victoria, AFL >>> Soccer.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Robertinho said:
No, I was definitely talking about the levels of participation by young kids. In Victoria, AFL >>> Soccer.
Yeah your right, but its not by much anymore. Victoria is the only state that Football isn't the number one in junior participation. But give us another two years and we will take number one there too.

Last edited:

Cloete

International Captain
chaminda_00 said:
Yeah your right, but its not by much anymore. Victoria is the only state that Football isn't the number one in junior participation. But give us another two years and we will take number their too.
You're right Tharmi

"Victoria has experienced 30% growth in junior participation over the last three years" That's referring to football.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pratyush said:

I've actually got three for Brazil:

1) Does the burden of the "favourites" tag bother you?

2) Is it worrying that so many of your key players (Ronaldo, Adriano, Kaka, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Dida, Lucio, Emerson) are either ageing, out of form or (in Adriano's case) distracted by off-field events?

3) Ronaldinho's free-kick in versus England in the 2002 Quarter Final was a fluke, wasn't it?! ( ;) )

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Blaze said:
What ever happened to Rivaldo?
Had to have major facial recontruction surgery after a football hit him on the thigh! :p

Nah, seriously he's being mediocre @ Olympiakos (sp?).

Blaze

Banned
BoyBrumby said:
Had to have major facial recontruction surgery after a football hit him on the thigh! :p

Nah, seriously he's being mediocre @ Olympiakos (sp?).
:laugh:

Yeah I just read an article on him. He hopes to play in the World Cup but it doesn't look too good for him.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
BoyBrumby said:
I've actually got three for Brazil:

1) Does the burden of the "favourites" tag bother you?

2) Is it worrying that so many of your key players (Ronaldo, Adriano, Kaka, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Dida, Lucio, Emerson) are either ageing, out of form or (in Adriano's case) distracted by off-field events?

3) Ronaldinho's free-kick in versus England in the 2002 Quarter Final was a fluke, wasn't it?! ( ;) )
Thanks a lot dude. Superb questions, specially number 2 and 3.