• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

who do you pick to have a good tournament?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
i would say its a safe enough bet that if ronaldinho is fit then he'll again turn it on and light up the proceedings, other than that i would say Lampard will have a good tournament. But who does every one identify as the player that will really impress and be the find of the tournament?

irfan

State Captain
Lionel Messi - that guy simply tore up the chelsea defence and he has remarkable strength and composure for someone so slight and young

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Messi and Rooney are poised to set the tournament alight along with who else, Ronaldinho. Van der Vaart may shine as well as Robben. Landon Donovan could impress if he plays to the best of his ability.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Johan Vonlanthen for Switzerland, not many people know him now but hes gonna be a star, another of the long line of players Guus has found and will go on to bigger and better things...
Jason Culina for Australia, hes improved a hell of a lot and i think he will surprise a lot of people in Germany, he will end the tournament as our stand out player imo...

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Carlos Tevez of Argentina....
if he does well in the tournament...he'll be a great player for years to come...
He's sort of the Wayne Rooney of Argentina....

Pothas

he looks terrible at the moment but i wouldnt be in the least bit suprised if Ronaldo has another superb world cup. I also think Michael Owen will finnish top scorer.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Once they play to potential for England Owen, Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard & Terry could really have great tournament. Looking at other Nations blokes like Ronaldinho, Adriano, Shevchenko, Buffon, Gilardinho, Robben, Drogoba & Messi.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
aussie said:
Once they play to potential for England Owen, Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard & Terry could really have great tournament. Looking at other Nations blokes like Ronaldinho, Adriano, Shevchenko, Buffon, Gilardinho, Robben, Drogoba & Messi.
Drogba? He struggles to score goals in an outstanding Chelsea team, I hardly see him setting the world alight in a predominantly poor Ivory Coast outfit.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
i think that might be a little harsh on the ivory coast they have several talented players, including arsenals kolo toure and emmanuel eboue who are hardly second raters, their displays against madrid over two legs show that they can compete against continental opposition and come out on top. Personally i dont really expect drogba to light up the cup, but wouldnt be suprised if he pops up with several goals esspecially if the cote d'ivore advance beyond the first stage.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Im expecting big things from John Aloisi.. IMO he is the Aussies #1 striker and i think he will show what he is capable of...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ronaldo.

Seriously. He may look fat & disinterested now, but he did before the last WC as well & this time he's not coming back from a career-threatening injury. Depending on what odds I can get I may even have a couple of quid on him as top goalscorer.

Pothas

simmy said:
I cant see Lampard having a good game.

Gerrard and Rooney will shine.
care to explain? Lampard has a very good goal scoring record for England and plays better than Gerrard in most England matches

Cloete

International Captain
Kewell anyone?

Even The Kop were writing him off before this season. Now they love him...

My BIG tip is Riquelme though. I think he's just gonna be on fire. Not a great athlete by any stretch of the imagination. But he just has so much technical ability and a great mind. His vision really is second to none. Wouldn't mind seeing D'Allesandro and Riquelme playing alongside each other in a few years time! My sympathies would be with the defenders marking them...Just don't open your legs! :D

Last edited:

Pothas

Cloete said:
Kewell anyone?

Even The Kop were writing him off before this season. Now they love him...

My BIG tip is Riquelme though. I think he's just gonna be on fire. Not a great athlete by any stretch of the imagination. But he just has so much technical ability and a great mind. His vision really is second to none. Wouldn't mind seeing D'Allesandro and Riquelme playing alongside each other in a few years time! My sympathies would be with the defenders marking them...Just don't open your legs! :D
hmmmm i have a feeling that Argentina are going to have problems getting out there group, they are a great side but i think Ivory Coast and Serbia who are pretty physical sides and could really pose them some problems and stop Riquelme playing. And then there is Holland and i wouldnt like to pick a winner between those two.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
BoyBrumby said:
Ronaldo.

Seriously. He may look fat & disinterested now, but he did before the last WC as well & this time he's not coming back from a career-threatening injury. Depending on what odds I can get I may even have a couple of quid on him as top goalscorer.
yes i agree, hes a very good tournament player, and if he didnt have a good time out in germany i would be rather surprised.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Pothas said:
hmmmm i have a feeling that Argentina are going to have problems getting out there group, they are a great side but i think Ivory Coast and Serbia who are pretty physical sides and could really pose them some problems and stop Riquelme playing. And then there is Holland and i wouldnt like to pick a winner between those two.
yes i concur, as was shown in the last WC argentina struggled when dealt a physical opponent, they struggled to an unconvincing win against nigeria in which they didnt really deserve, were out fought by england the game in which pablo aimar was easily shut down by englands close marking of him, and struggled against the physicality of sweden, and thus didnt progress...

although i would back them to go through this time, i would by no means say their progression is a "given" so to speak.