• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ to play Brazil

Cloete

International Captain
Fair play to NZ. Seen some highlights and they did get overrun a bit but put up a very courageous fight against Brazil's top team. Perhaps 3-1 would have done them more justice. Although one could point to the Brazillians poor finishing I think NZ played well.

I think Moss might just be offered a contract in the not too distant future ;)

Blaze

Banned
Sir Redman said:
Yeah, I was actually reasonably impressed with the way we played. The score blew out in the last 10 minutes with those 2 late goals, but other than that I think we managed to contain them quite well. Our keeper had a good game, he made some excellent saves, although it did look in the first half as though the Brazian strikers had "NZ-itis" i.e. they blasted every shot 5 metres over the bar like our guys always do. Our main problem was that our left back was getting owned pretty much every time they played it down his side, and it was inevitable that one of their crosses would eventually get them a goal. We had a few chances as well - the time the Brazilian defenders made a royal **** up of a bouncing ball and it fell to our guy; and also the header at the end that just went over.

I agree that Ricki Herbert definately seems to be the right man for the job if we want a chance at qualifying for 2010, he seems to have created a good team vibe and also wants to play a more attacking style - a couple of years ago we would never had beaten a non-Pacific Island team more than 1-0, but we managed 3 against Georgia.
Can't disagree with too much of that. What was encouraging was that Nelson and Elliot wern't playing, and Hay went off early and we still kept them to 4-0.

You have got to wonder why the Knights released Glenn Moss, but then again it is the Knights I am talking about...

Herbert could be the saviour of NZ soccer. We are finally puting ourselves back out on the map and gaining respect. Other countries are starting to see us as a viable opposition. Tunisia have asked if we will play them in a friendly this week and we have had offers from other world cup teams as well apparently.

Rumour has it that Herbert is attracting a bit of interest from overseas clubs as well. He will stick with NZ though. The guys genuinely believe they can make the 2010 world cup and good luck to them. The early signs are all positive.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Blaze said:
Can't disagree with too much of that. What was encouraging was that Nelson and Elliot wern't playing, and Hay went off early and we still kept them to 4-0.

You have got to wonder why the Knights released Glenn Moss, but then again it is the Knights I am talking about...
I've never rated Hay at all - always thought he was a lazy plonker of a defender who only got to that level because of his size - but from all reports he had been playing brilliantly on the tour, and I thought that we looked more likely to concede once he went off.

On Glen Moss - well, you have to feel sorry for any keeper who plays for the Knights. They are always going to look bad when you've got a defence that hopeless in front of you. I can only imagine that whoever's in charge of the Knights simply looked at the statistics and decided that our keeper needed to be replaced.

Blaze said:
Herbert could be the saviour of NZ soccer. We are finally puting ourselves back out on the map and gaining respect. Other countries are starting to see us as a viable opposition. Tunisia have asked if we will play them in a friendly this week and we have had offers from other world cup teams as well apparently.

Rumour has it that Herbert is attracting a bit of interest from overseas clubs as well. He will stick with NZ though. The guys genuinely believe they can make the 2010 world cup and good luck to them. The early signs are all positive.
Hopefully. We've never had any trouble with player numbers - for as long as I can remember soccer has been the most played sport for kids up to 17/18 - but we need ways firstly of keeping them in the game and secondly developing them up to a decent standard. I don't believe that at Junior level and even to an extent club level (obviously local club type stuff, not big clubs) our guys are that much worse than those from other countries. I have played with and against heaps of overseas students on exchanges here, and many of them were only slightly above or even equal on ability with our best players.

I think that the current All Whites squad is probably the best we've had since the early 90s or so when we had the likes of Wynton Rufer playing. Obviously we've got no-one anywhere near the standard he was as a striker, but the rest of the squad compares favourably to the ones that I can remember.

Craig

World Traveller
Cloete said:
Fair play to NZ. Seen some highlights and they did get overrun a bit but put up a very courageous fight against Brazil's top team. Perhaps 3-1 would have done them more justice. Although one could point to the Brazillians poor finishing I think NZ played well.

I think Moss might just be offered a contract in the not too distant future ;)
Yeah I saw him play a few years ago in the qualifiers for the Athens Olympics and he had a stunning game at Parramatta Stadium, making some spectular saves, and keeping the score from becoming a rout. Certaintly a talented 'keeper.

Blaze

Banned
Our under 20's beat the Aussie under 20's a couple of weeks back in Australia in a 3 match series so it looks like we have a bit of talent coming through...