• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ to play Brazil

Loony BoB

International Captain
Much as I like Australia's big shot teams (rugby, cricket, etc) losing, any Aussie teams that are considered strong underdogs facing up to some team that I don't support will probably get my backing.

Craig

World Traveller
And former Bradford and Walsall goal keeper Mark Paston sits on the bench at St Johnstone in Scottish Division One (IIRC?) who AFAIK is first choice in goal.

nibbs

International Captain
last time we face brazil it was only 2-0. i'm expecting a similiar result quite frankly

Cloete

International Captain
Slats4ever said:
The bra boys are probably playing NZ to try to gauge the oceania style of football.
Won't do them much good though, considering they have 2 Asian opponents in their group! ;)

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Just thought I'd dig this up, considering that the game is tomorrow.

Final prediction: with Nelsen and Elliott both out injured, I'd be satisfied with anything less than 4-0. We've actually played quite well on our tour of Europe - lost 2-0 to Hungary but had several good chances to score; beat Georgia 3-1 and drew with Estonia 1-1. They aren't exactly superpowers, but it's a lot better than I was expecting.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
be nice if the kiwis can do us a favour and seriously hurt half the brazilian side :p

Cloete

International Captain
broncoman said:
be nice if the kiwis can do us a favour and seriously hurt half the brazilian side :p
Agreed.

Ash said it best. Just slide in as much as you can and you might get a spot in Asia.

Blaze

Banned
We are building nicely for 2010. Herbert is the right guy to have in charge and it is showing. Things are actually looking pretty positive for us. First ever win against a european country and without our two best players. The fact that we are actually playing lots of internationals this year is great as well. We went 2 or 3 years where we only played a handful of games so this is excellent.

I am predicting 6-0 to Brazil but it will be great to watch all the same.

Craig

World Traveller
I reckon this will be the Brazilian 'B' side out, giving the likes of Robinho, Fred, new boy Minerio (plays for Sao Paulo back in Brazil and was drafted in as a replacement for the injured Edmilson), Juninho, Cicinho, and probably Marcos (don't think he will be 1st or 2nd choice with either Juilo Cesar or Dida in goal) - the likes who may not play as much.

That said I would find it funny if Ronaldinho did play and a Kiwi upstart wanted to make a name for himself (ie to be remembered for it) by lunging inat Ronaldinho and breaking his leg/do knee ligaments, and then the outrage in Brazil for even daring to play him in a meaningless game. Said player would probably get a lot of phone calls by other national team managers telling him "Thanks for that" :laugh:

Blaze

Banned
Craig - It was their first team. 4-0.

It wasn't too bad and they got a couple of late goals. Pretty good effort, though would have been nice if we could have kept it to 2 or 3.

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah I saw the highlights, I have expected them to give some of their reserve players a go, but obviously not. Guess that is why I'm not a football pundit.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Blaze said:
Craig - It was their first team. 4-0.

It wasn't too bad and they got a couple of late goals. Pretty good effort, though would have been nice if we could have kept it to 2 or 3.
Yeah, I was actually reasonably impressed with the way we played. The score blew out in the last 10 minutes with those 2 late goals, but other than that I think we managed to contain them quite well. Our keeper had a good game, he made some excellent saves, although it did look in the first half as though the Brazian strikers had "NZ-itis" i.e. they blasted every shot 5 metres over the bar like our guys always do. Our main problem was that our left back was getting owned pretty much every time they played it down his side, and it was inevitable that one of their crosses would eventually get them a goal. We had a few chances as well - the time the Brazilian defenders made a royal **** up of a bouncing ball and it fell to our guy; and also the header at the end that just went over.

I agree that Ricki Herbert definately seems to be the right man for the job if we want a chance at qualifying for 2010, he seems to have created a good team vibe and also wants to play a more attacking style - a couple of years ago we would never had beaten a non-Pacific Island team more than 1-0, but we managed 3 against Georgia.