• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

People without teams

Blaze

Banned
New Zealand will never make a world cup in my life time which means I have to choose other teams to support.

The Netherlands have always been the team I support so I will be backing them again along with Australia. I never thought I would see the day where I supported Australia in a sporting event but they are generally useless at football and I would love to see them do well and put football in this part of the world on the map.

Oh and anyone who is playing England!

Who is everyone else supporting that doesn't have a country in the world cup or as a second team and who do you want to see crash out?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Blaze said:
New Zealand will never make a world cup in my life time which means I have to choose other teams to support.

The Netherlands have always been the team I support so I will be backing them again along with Australia. I never thought I would see the day where I supported Australia in a sporting event but they are generally useless at football and I would love to see them do well and put football in this part of the world on the map.

Who is everyone else supporting that doesn't have a country in the world cup or as a second team and who do you want to see crash out?
If Togo can qualify for a World Cup, New Zealand can.

cpr

International Coach
especially next time, as australia will be in the asian qualifiers, meaning you've a fair change at qualifying as far as the ritual humping by Peru

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Blaze said:

It is actually possible (though still very unlikely) that we could fluke our way to the World Cup now that Australia are gone.

However, for that to happen we would need the entire Uruguay/other South American team (including reserves) to break down before the playoff though. Maybe food poisoning?

We'd also need to actually play some games beforehand to get the team together and to figure out which combination of plonkers works the best, because the current trend of one game every 3 years or so is hopeless. Of course, that has its own problems because its next to impossible to get guys like Nelsen and Vicelich released from their club teams and so we inevitably end up with a team of NZ Knights players getting beaten by Vanuatu.

I was actually slightly optimistic about the All Whites a couple of years ago after we beat Australia and drew with Scotland - until we got hammered in the Confederations Cup. We have had two massive problems for almost my entire lifetime -

1) Our defence is prone to letting in last-minute goals
and
2) We have nobody at all that can convert even straightforward goalscoring chances. Our only method of scoring seems to be from set pieces when we can crowd the box and sneak a header or just bundle the ball in.

If we can sort out one of those problems then there is always the possibility that we could sneak a win over a South American team.

As for this World Cup, I'm not sure who I'll be supporting yet. In some ways I want to see Australia get smashed yet in other ways I want to see them do well :unsure:

The Foxtrot

U19 12th Man
33/3from3.3 said:
Go England
booooo!!!!

all you kiwis need is Hiddink on your side, let me see... done wonders for South Korea and Australia, give him email and see what he can do with your team....

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
The Foxtrot said:
booooo!!!!

all you kiwis need is Hiddink on your side, let me see... done wonders for South Korea and Australia, give him email and see what he can do with your team....
im not a Kiwi
im a POM who moved to NZland

Langeveldt

Soutie
I don't think South Africa will be in their own world cup (unless they get in by default) , highly highly embaressing in a proud sporting nation, but they are an embaressment, so I'll stick with England.. Best league in the world too..

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
I don't think South Africa will be in their own world cup (unless they get in by default) , highly highly embaressing in a proud sporting nation, but they are an embaressment, so I'll stick with England.. Best league in the world too..
Yes, they do get in by default. Only way NZ will make a World Cup, don't see them beating the 5th place Sth American team anytime soon.

Craig

World Traveller
Sir Redman said:
Of course, that has its own problems because its next to impossible to get guys like Nelsen and Vicelich released from their club teams and so we inevitably end up with a team of NZ Knights players getting beaten by Vanuatu.
Um if it is the alloted FIFA dates, then they have to or they can't play for their clubs in their next game/s (only applies if they are friendlies, but if they are competitive matches then they have no choice).

For me I guess I would have to be backing Italy and seeing someway they will implode and start up a national consipracy.

Craig

World Traveller
Well a mate of mine at work would but he leans towards Australia as well and is a supporter of Arsenal.

But he has been here for about 28 years (still has the accent) and in typical Scottish fashion he reads the paper I buy everyday because it isn't worth him buying it and at the staff christmas party he was lapping up the free drinks at the bar.