• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Trivia Thread - SJS Format

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I feel better now. :)

OK, a quickie. Obviously we all know about both Charltons playing for us in 1966, but when did we have 2 players with the same 1st name as well as surname playing in the same game? Oh, and what was the players' name?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
wpdavid said:

OK, a quickie. Obviously we all know about both Charltons playing for us in 1966, but when did we have 2 players with the same 1st name as well as surname playing in the same game? Oh, and what was the players' name?
Wouldn't be the two Gary Stevens, would it? Sometime in 82 if so I would guess.

EDIT: Beaten too it. Stupid slow government internet connection! :p

Barney Rubble

International Coach
wpdavid said:

Gary Stevens in 1986?

EDIT: Dammit, Brumby! :p

Barney Rubble

International Coach
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Paraguay V England. Gary Stevens came on as sub and Gary Stevens started.
Out of interest, was there ever a time when we had three Coles on the pitch? I doubt it. Shame Carlton's rubbish, or we could have had Cole at left-back, Cole on the left of midfield, and Cole partnering Cole up front. :D

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anyone object to me going ahead and posting a question? thefa.com confirms that both Gary Stevens did play in that match ?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Yep, that was what I was after & you got there despite my shoddy question. If Ukraine & Portugal are out all four semi-finalists are previous winners.

1990 completely slipped my mind. D'oh. That researcher's sacked! :p
Aye, shoddy is the word. The first thing I thought was the correct answer but it could not have been due to 1990. Oh well. I hope after sacking the researcher you gave them a bad reference :)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Only guesses, if you've read it or heard it on the commentary last night please do no answer.

Ill give everyone as a group 8 guesses and Ill answer higher or lower after each.

Last nights Fra v Sp game was the _______th game in World Cup history

Fill in the blank.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Calculated guess, based on roughly how many matches I think were played at each tournament (but without any research being done):

500th?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm dying to shout out the answer

I really wish you hadn't said:

Goughy the big meany said:
Only guesses, if you've read it or heard it on the commentary last night please do no answer.