• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Trivia Thread - SJS Format

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Jamee999 said:
Is it something to do with France?

GOT IT:D Henry scoring!

Last man was Manuel Amoros in extra time of the 1986 3rd place playoff.

(GBW)
France '98 sort of passed you by then, if you mean what I think.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jamee999 said:
Is it something to do with France?

GOT IT:D Henry scoring!

Last man was Manuel Amoros in extra time of the 1986 3rd place playoff.

(GBW)

EDIT: France scoring in World Cups outside France!
Yep. Well done. :)

Your turn.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'll step up then.

This has only ever happened once, in 1970, but could still happen in 2006. What am I talking about?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I'll step up then.

This has only ever happened once, in 1970, but could still happen in 2006. What am I talking about?
A player scoring in every round?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Right, I'm guessing it's something to do with the two teams who reach the final. Perhaps 1970 is the only time where the two teams in the final beat the teams who competed in the previous final along the way. Bit of a long-shot like! ie in 1970 Brazil beat England in the Group stage, and Italy knocked out West germany. This time round if it were, for example an Argentina-France final, they would have achieved this feat.

I'm gonna guess that my guess is wrong, so I'll just ask, am I right with it being to do with the two teams reaching the final?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Right, I'm guessing it's something to do with the two teams who reach the final. Perhaps 1970 is the only time where the two teams in the final beat the teams who competed in the previous final along the way. Bit of a long-shot like! ie in 1970 Brazil beat England in the Group stage, and Italy knocked out West germany. This time round if it were, for example an Argentina-France final, they would have achieved this feat.

I'm gonna guess that my guess is wrong, so I'll just ask, am I right with it being to do with the two teams reaching the final?
No, not the final. Warm tho.

wpdavid said:
A country can win the trophy for the 3rd time & gets to keep it?
Not the one I had in mind, although Jerry, Brazil & Argentina have all won the current one twice so it could well be true too.

LongHopCassidy said:
Something about keeping the Jules Rimet or the modern equivalent?
No.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Is it something to do with the teams reaching the semis? Can't think what mind, the semi-finalists in 1970 were Italy, Brazil, West germany and U-R-gay. Hmmph.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Something to do with the semi's then?

In 1970 that was Brazil, Uruguay, Italy & W. Germany. All former winners, but I think that happened in 1990 too. All unbeaten, but that must have happened as well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
wpdavid said:
Something to do with the semi's then?

In 1970 that was Brazil, Uruguay, Italy & W. Germany. All former winners, but I think that happened in 1990 too. All unbeaten, but that must have happened as well.
Yep, that was what I was after & you got there despite my shoddy question. If Ukraine & Portugal are out all four semi-finalists are previous winners.

1990 completely slipped my mind. D'oh. That researcher's sacked! :p

Your turn. :)