• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Soca Warriors

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's not a lazy striker for Trinidad and Tobago, and that's all that matters really...in this thread at least. Keep you spam out.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
So when he scores its not because he is a decent striker.
Not today no - product of good work from Adebola, who should serve as an inspiration to the bloke.

He wasn't playing well, went off to Burnley on loan, came back and still didn't look too good.

6 months of hard training he came into the side and was working hard, using pace and strength to score and assist with regularity.

John on the other hand does none of those things, and I don't think I know of any other player who commits a foul and when the ref is speaking to him, the home fans are chanting "Off, off, off"

But then again, what would I know about him, he only plays for my team.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tom Halsey said:
If your job is to score goals, and you've scored nearly 70 International goals, you're not rubbish.
He's got 39 apparently.

I'd love to know how many of them have come against which sides.

EDIT - OK, he has 64 according to his official site:

About the best side he's scored against is Scotland...

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
marc71178 said:
He's got 39 apparently.

I'd love to know how many of them have come against which sides.

EDIT - OK, he has 64 according to his official site:

About the best side he's scored against is Scotland...
According to Liam earlier, it's 67.

Well Scotland are better than the Northern Ireland team that beat England in September (again some brilliant work by Sven in this game). Most International sides are catching up now.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Per sternjohn.com:

Antigua & Barbuda - 2 games (2 goals)
Barbados - 2(3)
Bermuda - 3(4)
Brazil All Stars - 1(1) - that's not an International!
Canada - 1(0)
Cayman Islands - 1(1)
Colombia - 2(3)
Costa Rica - 8(1)
Cuba - 3(3)
Dominca - 1(4)
Dominican Republic - 4(5)
Egypt - 1(1)
El Salvador - 1(0)
Greanda - 1(0)
Guadeloupe - 2(1)
Guatemala - 5(2)
Haiti - 9(6)
Honduras - 5(5)
Iraq - 1(2)
Jamaica - 8(4)
Martinique - 4(4)
Mexico - 7(3)
Morocco - 1(0)
Northern Ireland - 1(0)
Panama - 4(2)
Scotland - 1(1)
South Africa - 1(1)
St Kitts & Nevis - 2(3)
St Vincent and the Grenadines - 1(0)
USA - 5(0)
Venezuela - 1(2)

Most of those sides he's scored goals against are far from "catching up"

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
roseboy64 said:
That's around 13 decent sides though.
Where is that 13 decent sides?

USA and then you're struggling, maybe Costa Rica, South Africa and Scotland at a push, but that's nowhere near 13.

Cloete

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Where is that 13 decent sides?

USA and then you're struggling, maybe Costa Rica, South Africa and Scotland at a push, but that's nowhere near 13.
Mexico and Colombia?!!

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
marc71178 said:
Per sternjohn.com:

Antigua & Barbuda - 2 games (2 goals)
Barbados - 2(3)
Bermuda - 3(4)
Brazil All Stars - 1(1) - that's not an International!
Canada - 1(0)
Cayman Islands - 1(1)
Colombia - 2(3)
Costa Rica - 8(1)
Cuba - 3(3)
Dominca - 1(4)
Dominican Republic - 4(5)
Egypt - 1(1)
El Salvador - 1(0)
Greanda - 1(0)
Guadeloupe - 2(1)
Guatemala - 5(2)
Haiti - 9(6)
Honduras - 5(5)
Iraq - 1(2)
Jamaica - 8(4)
Martinique - 4(4)
Mexico - 7(3)
Morocco - 1(0)
Northern Ireland - 1(0)
Panama - 4(2)
Scotland - 1(1)
South Africa - 1(1)
St Kitts & Nevis - 2(3)
St Vincent and the Grenadines - 1(0)
USA - 5(0)
Venezuela - 1(2)

Most of those sides he's scored goals against are far from "catching up"
12th and 13th can be left to your discretion. "Decent" here means not horrible.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
roseboy64 said:
12th and 13th can be left to your discretion. "Decent" here means not horrible.
Dubious definition of "decent", to me a well organised side which is competent in most areas is "decent" - sides like USA, Japan and most of the European sides that qualified are "decent". Teams that get reasonably easy groups and don't make the World Cup are crap - having said that some of them that qualify in that situation are crap. How many of those teams you bolded made the World Cup?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
They're certainly far from being anything of quality.

Which just goes to show how false some International scoring records are.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Just trying to pint out that John's a quality striker even though he doesn't show it until it suits him. He's still good.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting Nothern Irealand rated below El Salvador?

Well it seems to me that Stern John doesn't give a crap about playing for Coventry City and doesn't even seem to try, but loves playing for T&T. So like a lot of players they become decent when they put on their national jersey. Well thats the way i see it.

cpr

International Coach
Cloete said:
I hate it how all of these English guys like Samuel are suddenly trying to get into the T&T team. I'm glad he wasn't accepted and I hope hardly any of them are. The one's that are, I hope they aren't picked! 8-)
Wasnt Samuel actually born in Trinidad & Tobago though?

Surely you can forgive a guy who 5 years ago was seen as a pretty promising full back and was WANTED by one of the top 10 nations to represent their u21 team. Pretty much any kid from a small caribbean island would jump at the chance (ask John Barnes, or look at players such as Vieira, Senegal born, France international, red faced when they lost in 2002 :) France has a number of internationals from smaller states)

Fast forward to now, and his international dreams havent come true, and he wants to represent the land of his birth, a land thats relying on decent players having ancestoral routes to get them to play for them. He's been trying to get international clearance to do so since long before trinidad qualified for the world cup. He genuinly did want to play in the qualifiers and help the team get to the finals. Personally i feel sorry for him the way FIFA are blocking it. I mean they had no problems bending the rules for Kanoute to play for Mali (is it?) again after French u21 honours, and he was older than Samuel when he did

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
roseboy64 said:
Just trying to pint out that John's a quality striker even though he doesn't show it until it suits him. He's still good.
But he isn't a quality striker though - as shown by his scoring record against good sides.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Trinidad and Tobago beat Iceland 2-0 in London yesterday.

Dwight Yorke scored twice, including a penalty kick after Stern John was brought down. The penalty was a beauty though. He charged in then lobbed it slowly past the diving goalkeeper.

Not a superb performance by the team, but considering the rust and dust that would have gathered since the Bahrain qualifier, not too bad at all. Chris Birchall, Carlos Edwards and that youngster Yorke continue to impress.