• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Barney Rubble said:
Alan Smith has no hope of going to the World Cup. He could be out for a year!
:-O

AFAIC, I'd be very surprised if this isn't the squad:

Robinson
James
Kirkland/Green if Kirkland's injured, which he probably will be.

G Neville
Ferdinand
Terry
A Cole
Campbell
King
Carragher
Bridge/Young if he's not fit

Beckham
Gerrard
Lampard
J Cole
SWP
Carrick
Jenas

Rooney
Owen
Crouch
Bent
Defoe
Agree with the bulk of that I think I'm gonna pick mine Now without looking at yours but I think they'll be pretty similar!

Goalkeepers:
Robinson
James
Green (even though lower leauge football is my passion, it worries me that a Championship player will likely be at the World Cup. Our lack of depth between the sticks is very concerning, but Kirkland is too much of a crock to take to a tournament)

Defenders:
G Neville
Cole
Terry
Carragher (imo should be first choice,he won't, but is versatility means he wil almost certainly get a game, can play anywhere in the back four or even in midfield)
Ferdinand
Campbell (Sven says he wil take him if fit regardless of his poor form)
Bridge
King (can also play in midfield, versatility is vital)

Midfielders:
Beckham (c)
Gerrard
Lampard
Joe Cole
Carrick
Jenas
Haregreaves
Dyer (if fit, can come on and change a game, and can play up front, which saves Svn taking a fifth striker)

Forwards:
Owen
Rooney
Crouch
Defoe/Beattie/Ashton/Bent

Can't decide. Beattie and Ashton are both in great form, Defoe is the most talented but temperamental and out of sorts, and Bent has the most goals, a striker's main objective. I have a feeling he will go with one of the form guys, either Ashton, or Beattie, the scales are probably tipped in Beattie's favour as now that Rooney is in good shape, Beattie is England's best hope of beating Ronaldo in the pre-World Cup pie eating contest.

We have a great first XI but if injuries strike anywhere but at centre-back we are doomed, in my opinion.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Agree with the bulk of that I think I'm gonna pick mine Now without looking at yours but I think they'll be pretty similar!

Goalkeepers:
Robinson
James
Green (even though lower leauge football is my passion, it worries me that a Championship player will likely be at the World Cup. Our lack of depth between the sticks is very concerning, but Kirkland is too much of a crock to take to a tournament)

Defenders:
G Neville
Cole
Terry
Carragher (imo should be first choice,he won't, but is versatility means he wil almost certainly get a game, can play anywhere in the back four or even in midfield)
Ferdinand
Bridge

Midfielders:
Beckham (c)
Gerrard
Lampard
Joe Cole
Carrick
Jenas
Haregreaves
Dyer (if fit, can come on and change a game, and can play up front, which saves Svn taking a fifth striker)

Forwards:
Owen
Rooney
Crouch

Can't decide. Beattie and Ashton are both in great form, Defoe is the most talented but temperamental and out of sorts, and Bent has the most goals, a striker's main objective. I have a feeling he will go with one of the form guys, either Ashton, or Beattie, the scales are probably tipped in Beattie's favour as now that Rooney is in good shape, Beattie is England's best hope of beating Ronaldo in the pre-World Cup pie eating contest.

We have a great first XI but if injuries strike anywhere but at centre-back we are doomed, in my opinion.
That looks pretty good, but I don't think Dyer will have enough football under his belt by the time the tournament comes around. Also, I'm praying Hargreaves doesn't make it. He's rubbish.

I can't see past Darren Bent for the fourth striker's spot - he's the top English scorer in the Premiership this season I think, and he's the only one of the four we've got whose main strength is...well, strength. He holds the ball up well and can bully opposing central defenders. Personally, although Ashton will be at Euro 2008, I can't see him making this tournament, and I've never rated Beattie at all. Defoe'll go if there are five strikers picked, but he's not getting the games to make it ahead of Bent IMHO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There's no doubting Bent has had a great season, but Ashton is red hot and as much as I hate Everon (being a Tranmere fan and all) so is Beattie, you have to ask who will be in the best form in Germany, not wh was in the best form six months ago. But then, Sven picks players who have clearly been overtaken by others (ie Terry & Carragher > Ferdinand & Campbel) , so I have no idea who he will pick

Barney Rubble

International Coach
GeraintIsMyHero said:
There's no doubting Bent has had a great season, but Ashton is red hot and as much as I hate Everon (being a Tranmere fan and all) so is Beattie, you have to ask who will be in the best form in Germany, not wh was in the best form six months ago. But then, Sven picks players who have clearly been overtaken by others (ie Terry & Carragher > Ferdinand & Campbel) , so I have no idea who he will pick
Yeah, trying to second-guess Sven is a fairly pointless exercise these days. I'm still waiting on an explanation for Jermaine Jenas. :laugh:

I'm beginning to get the usual pre-tournament optimism though - it's gonna build up over the next two and a bit months until I completely forget all about my uni exams during June. :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think Defoe's nailed on for me, closest thing we have to a like-for-like for Young Michael. Unfortunately it looks as if we're (again) going into a major tournament with an injury cloud over one of our main players.

If we take a 5th striker it'll be Bent for me, but that may be a luxary we can't afford.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
GeraintIsMyHero said:

Goalkeepers:
Robinson
James

Defenders:
G Neville
Cole
Terry
Ferdinand
Bridge

Midfielders:
Beckham (c)
Gerrard
Lampard
Joe Cole
Carrick
Jenas
Haregreaves

Forwards:
Owen
Rooney
Crouch

How can he go if he's injured. Also, Hargreaves and Dyer won't be going.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sorry, I meant to put if fit next to Cole

Sven sees something in Owen Hargreaves that the rest of us don't, and although he's slipped down the order lately, I'd be far from surprised if he were selected. If fit, and he proves himself in the last 6 weeks of the season, Dyer should go, and Sven is a fan, let's not forget he took him to Euro 2004 and he actually got on the pitch whereas the likes of Joe Cole did not.

And Barney - I feel for ya doing your exams in June. I had A Levels during the last World Cup, I actually missed England getting knocked out because I was doing my last exam :-O

Cloete

International Captain
Dyer's a freak... he must go if he's fit. To take Hargreaves and not Dyer would simlpy be criminal. If anyone thinks Harreave's good cover for the defensive mid position, they're mistaken. Owen could tackle better than Hargreaves!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
hes an alright player, his injuries have seriously hindered his development though, i dont think he will ever achieve the potential he was once billed as having.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kieron Dyer is one of the most fustrating players around and im afraid i dont see him making the squad. Bad news for Scot Parker who i really think should be in the squad he has suspected glandular fever and might be out for the rest of the season.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
glandular fever is a very irritating condition, and it has no cure, just have to sit it out, can take anywhere between a week and a few months, bad news as it makes you virtually incapable of doing a lot of things without exhausting yourself within minutes.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well even if Parker didn't have that fever he would unfortunately not be able to make the squad since Sven stupidly hasn't really looked at him over the past year.

I hope England's next manager picks him more regularly.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
well at best hes only going to be second reserve, no matter who the manager is i dont think theres a place for him in the side bar 3 bad injuries.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
why would he be? leading upto a world cup its pointless to start picking players who wont be involved, parker despite playing well has not played nearly well enough to force his way into the team, its as simple as that really.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i'm not talking mainly about him not being in the reckoning for the WC squad, but oer the past year or so he really hasn't been in the reckoning for the england squad at all, while blokes like Smith, Hargreaves, Jenas etc have gotten a chance.