• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Gerrard certainly seems to be capabale of playing wide right. I haven't seen an awful lot of him in that position, but the reviews he gets are good. To be honest, Gerrard could play anywhere.

I think Terry or Gerrard would be the best choice, either or, because they would be great leaders, both of them.

I would like to both retract, and apologise for, my Gary Neville suggestion. I was suffering from heatstroke yesterday, and while I still feel somewhat ill, I have recovered my sanity.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
An interesting suggestion I've seen today is for England to play 4 across the midfield - Cole, Hargreaves, Lampard and Gerrard (from left to right)

Of course, that would be OK if we had 2 world class strikers, but with Owen out till god knows when, I fear we're down to 1, and he's now suspended.

Thankfully the first competitive game is Andorra.
I can see the sense in that as Gerrard spends much of his club games in that position.

As for the strikers sans Rooney & Owen? Crouch, obviously. Goodness knows who else though. Personally I'd pick the West Ham guy whose name escapes me. Not Harewood -the other one. Doesn't give us a lot of pace though

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Gerrard certainly seems to be capabale of playing wide right. I haven't seen an awful lot of him in that position, but the reviews he gets are good. To be honest, Gerrard could play anywhere.
yea thats true perfect all round player, only position in mid-field he may be a little of is on the left & you might not want to play him in a holding role since you might waste him a bit. But yes with Hargreaves pretty much making the holding role his own, Beckham will have to be go unfortunately, but the big questions are will McLaren see along this line soon? & if Beckham is dropped from the starting XI will he still be in the squad ahead of Lennon?

GeraintIsMyHero said:
I think Terry or Gerrard would be the best choice, either or, because they would be great leaders, both of them.
for sure 2 top-class leaders in the making no doubt..

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
yea he should be given a chance no doubt also, i hope Jenas is kept as far away from the squad & we see the introductions of Nolan & Reo-Coker fairly soon.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
For me either Nolan or Reo-Coker should have gone ahead of Jenas because both had tremendous seasons for their respective clubs. If they keep they should feature in the Euro 2008 qualifiers.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Jenas had a better season than Reo-Coker for sure. Not sure about Nolan though. Do you actually watch the games or go off what they've done in an England shirt? Following that line Hargreaves should never have played.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
what?, firstly how did Jenas have a better season than Reo-Coker, maybe at the start but coming to the end of the season between April-May Reo-coker was definately better, he was very inspiration in West Ham reaching the FA Cup final as well, both him & Nolan are clearly better than Jenas.

Jenas how good/decent he has been for the spurs as never done anything that impressive in an England shirt & thats the key, we dont see the Bundesliga here so most if not all English fans before the WC didn't want Hargreaves in there but he impressed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
We're talking about 5th or 6th choice central midfielders - is there any point. None of the ones being discussed will play barring big injuries.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
We're talking about 5th or 6th choice central midfielders - is there any point. None of the ones being discussed will play barring big injuries.
exactly so instead of going for people like Jenas as backup to Lampard or Gerrard in the case of injury or in the next major tournament in that central attacking mid-field role , Nolan or Reo-Coker should be in there.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Erm 5th and 6th choices are back ups to the back ups, those players selections or non-selections are pretty irrelevant.