• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
sledger said:
personally i think his spell at chelsea and his lack lustre displays have shown that if anything he actually isnt as talented as everyone first thought.
He hasn't exactly received any proper game time. He showed for England that he is as talented as everyone first thought.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
aussie said:
fair enough but missing Campbell. Also in midfield i would still have SWP over richardson & even though unlikely Parker over Jenas.
I was assuming Campbell would be unfit. Not sure who I'd take out though. Maybe King. Jenas has done well for Tottenham this season so he deserves a spot IMO. SWP for Richardson may be worth considering but even with Richardson's status for Man Utd he's still getting more game time than SWP.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
He hasn't exactly received any proper game time. He showed for England that he is as talented as everyone first thought.
but yet hes recieved miles more game time for chelsea than england.....and his performances for england havent exactly been anything special, certainly not in comparison to joe cole or gerrard, i will say if there is room then put him in the squad as he could cause troubles, but there are so many better players that should be ahead of him in the pecking order.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
sledger said:
but yet hes recieved miles more game time for chelsea than england
7 starts and 19 substitute appearances is hardly regular football, though.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
sledger said:
but yet hes recieved miles more game time for chelsea than england.....and his performances for england havent exactly been anything special, certainly not in comparison to joe cole or gerrard, i will say if there is room then put him in the squad as he could cause troubles, but there are so many better players that should be ahead of him in the pecking order.
Yes i would certainly have him on the bench as he could have a real impact late on in games, i would probably stick with Beckham for now on the right side although he needs to play much better than he has done. Gerrard is an option on the right but then we would have no really natural wide players in midfeald which could be problem.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
steds said:
7 starts and 19 substitute appearances is hardly regular football, though.
that just makes the idea of him being labled a good player on one display for england even more silly.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
He was labelled a good player by many before last night, actually.

I wasn't there, as it were during the Old Trafford test, but on the opening day at the JJB my dad said he were very impressed by Wright-Phillips.

Speaking of JJB, it won't happen because Wigan don't have good players - just money (8-)), but I still believe Leighton Baines should be England's left back at the World Cup.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
although baines is decent young lad and has impressed, hes no ashely cole.

And again where SWP may impress against wigan, the level of opposition he will face playing for england (no disprespect to wigan) will inevitably be much higher, to use a piscine argument its fine for him to play well there, but hes done nothing to suggest he can perform at the really top level.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Robinson should come with a hazard sign emblazoned across his chest what with the way he's dealt with Owen & Bridge :blink:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
in robinsons defence bridge really didnt defend it well at all, should have just wacked it out of the ground, no idea why robinson thought he should rush out for it, even if he had got the ball he still would have clattered bridge.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
this would be the perfect englad WC squad IMO once everyone is fit:

Robinson
James
Kirkland

Neville
Campbell
Terry
A Cole
Ferdinand
King
Carragher
Bridge

Beckham
Gerrard
Lampard
J Cole
Carrick
Parker
Downing
Dyer

Owen
Rooney
Defoe
Crouch

But with some exceptions in midfield with players like SWP, Jenas, Richardson & Smith some of the blokes i have in midfield might not go.

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
But with some exceptions in midfield with players like SWP, Jenas, Richardson & Smith some of the blokes i have in midfield might not go.
Richardson & Smith?!?! Try Nolan and Pennant and you're getting closer

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Richardson & Smith?!?! Try Nolan and Pennant and you're getting closer
no when i say exceptions i mean to Sven Richardson & co might go instead of Parker or Dyer. But yea even Nolan & Pennant are better options than them.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
How long will Smith be injured, anyway? Sven can't pick a cripple.
hopefully until after the squad is picked, you know what would be great if all the jokers like Jenas, Richardson etc suddenly get injured & Sven has to pick guys like Parker etc:cool:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think he's played once.

He's been playing fairly well for Newcastle, but without the exposure there's no way people can say he should be in the World Cup squad.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
steds said:
How long will Smith be injured, anyway? Sven can't pick a cripple.
Alan Smith has no hope of going to the World Cup. He could be out for a year!
:-O

AFAIC, I'd be very surprised if this isn't the squad:

Robinson
James
Kirkland/Green if Kirkland's injured, which he probably will be.

G Neville
Ferdinand
Terry
A Cole
Campbell
King
Carragher
Bridge/Young if he's not fit

Beckham
Gerrard
Lampard
J Cole
SWP
Carrick
Jenas

Rooney
Owen
Crouch
Bent
Defoe

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe Pennant might have a chance? He'd link up well with Ashley Cole. Could have Pennant on the left midfield with Cole behind him

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
sledger said:
that just makes the idea of him being labled a good player on one display for england even more silly.
Yet he was picked for England on the basis of the label as a good player... :mellow: