• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Future for England - Euro 2008, 2010 World Cup

Now do we have any hope that England can win any of these championships?

To be honest i don't really know, we certainly have the players capable of winning but this world cup was suppose to be our great chance of being world champions and we just blew it. England may go to South Africa in 2010 with a more experienced side, We may not have Beckham & Neville but blokes like Robinson may develop one of the better shot stopper in europe, Terry/Ferdinand could be the best central defense in europe along with Ash running things on the left, Rooney will probably be at his peak while Owen experience will be key, Gerrard & Lampard will be even more experienced, Lennon could develop into one of the best winger in europe & maybe Walcott may live up to the hype in 4 years.

But as Nevill said in his interview the conditions in South Africa will be though for England to play at their best & they might even get the group of death. Hopefully McClaren if he is coach for the next 4 years or whoever else might coach England can lift this side & try to change the mentality of our footballers, in the premiership these blokes play at top clubs where the pace of the game is very electric yet at international level for as long as i have been watching the national side they play at such a slow pace. Also maybe our tried and tested formation of 4-4-2 could become 3-5-2 in the future since looking at the squad i think England could do better with that formation even if it means probably sacrificing Cole (or maybe he could be transformed into a more central defender)

At Euro 2008 again we have a chance to be European champions, but we need to do a lot of things different. One very interesting thing though is how longer will Beckham stay in the international set-up...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I'm gutted. Really gutted. I hate losing on penalties, it happens too often.

My thoughts on the game:

1. Rooney's sending off was ridiculous.
2. England were better with 10 men than 11.
3. Lennon > Beckham
4. Ronaldo = scum of the earth.
5. We still can't take penalties.
6. Good riddance, Eriksson.

:down:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
1. Rooney's sending off was ridiculous.
2. England were better with 10 men than 11.
3. Lennon > Beckham
4. Ronaldo = scum of the earth.
5. We still can't take penalties.
6. Good riddance, Eriksson.
7. Matt Pitt states the obvious.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
England can't take penalties. I just feel so empty. Annoyed I could take, but I just feel numb.

Bloomin' Portugal even gave us two pens & we still messed it up. :(

steds

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
England can't take penalties. I just feel so empty. Annoyed I could take, but I just feel numb.
Buck up, ****ney. Just a bloody game of football.

Cloete

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:

Bloomin' Portugal even gave us two pens & we still messed it up. :(
Yeah that's a really poor show. Every single shootout...

Teams are just trying for 0-0's now so they can take you lot to penalties. Also you'd think the players would practice their penalties every 2 years between the euro and the wc. You need to start teaching the youth players penalties along with the obvious skills they're alerady learning.

I suppose it's all the pressure from back home. So much riding on each kick. Still, I would have loved to see Postiga score from another chip from the spot. I love seeing that carefree attituded in such a pressure filled environment :D

James

Cricket Web Owner
The players obviously just can't handle the pressure at the highest level.

The obvious example being the penalty kick that Gerrard took in the FA Cup where he thundered the ball into the back of the neck while he effort against Portugal was just pathetic.

How can they be that bad, unbelievable really?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
James said:

The obvious example being the penalty kick that Gerrard took in the FA Cup where he thundered the ball into the back of the neck while he effort against Portugal was just pathetic.

It's pretty unforgivable. You only have to look at the total professionalism of the Germans when taking their penalties. All made their minds up early & stuck to their decisions. I don't think it was co-incidence that Lehmann "guessed" right for all the kicks either. Most penalty takers favour one side or the other; someone on the German staff had clearly done their homework.

In contrast we bring on a centre-half, not a particularly skillful ball player or anything, for him to take one. Why?

Craig

World Traveller
Cloete said:
Yeah that's a really poor show. Every single shootout...

Teams are just trying for 0-0's now so they can take you lot to penalties. Also you'd think the players would practice their penalties every 2 years between the euro and the wc. You need to start teaching the youth players penalties along with the obvious skills they're alerady learning.

I suppose it's all the pressure from back home. So much riding on each kick. Still, I would have loved to see Postiga score from another chip from the spot. I love seeing that carefree attituded in such a pressure filled environment :D
Typicial English, never learn from the past.

Euro 96 and 2004 England were knocked out in a penalty shoot-out, and in the World Cup in 1990 and '98 and still get knocked out, either Eriksson is an idiot for not getting them to practise penalties, or the players don't have the bottle for it (would that make them over hyped?).

If people like Lampard, Gerrard (just using them as an example, just like Beckham) can score crucial penalties for their clubs, and in very big matches (like EPL and in Europe), then why not for England where the pressure is already pretty big? I realise players aren't robots and they have their off days, but this has happened far too many times and it is not acceptable.

I'm glad Eriksson is gone, too many chopping and changing, too many needless experiements, too many different formations, I realise players get injured and suspended, but not change just for the sake of it? Do you want 4-4-2, or 4-5-1? Make up your mind.

Hopefully McLaren will be different, although I do fear with him is that he will play one way and England could be a goal or two down, and then he goes for broke by throwing on strikers in the 65th minute looking for a miracle. I agree that Stuart pierce should be the number 2, some players need a kick the backside (the way Wayne Rooney has acted on occassions has need this) and need motivating.

Craig

World Traveller
James said:

Liverpool probably means more to him then England IMO.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
Liverpool probably means more to him then England IMO.
Interesting point. He's certainly still never delivered the goods in an England shirt. He outshone Lampard this time, but when England have needed him (dire second half against Paraguay, struggling to beat T&T and Ecuador, yesterday) he hasn't looked willing to grab the game by the balls in the manner that his reputation is built on.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I was hoping for Beckham to announce his international retirement, but meh we'll see if Mclaren has the balls to pick his best side.