• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Carrick starting in the holding role tonight - thank god that the King experiment seems ot have been ditched.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
well in fairness that king experiment was only brought about originally as carrick was injured the last time lamard or gerrard were absent....just persisted with for some reason...

shame about wayne bridge tonight, looked like he was doing rather well till forced off, although his defending leading up to the goal was a bit suspect..

James

Cricket Web Owner
Couldn't help but laugh at this:

60 mins - This is England's final friendly before Eriksson has to name his squad for the World Cup. What lessons would he have learnt? 1. Bent shouldn't go to Germany. Unless it's for a short city break. I hear Berlin is a very interesting city.

and this:

61 mins: Lesson Number 2: England would be rubbish without Rooney.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
bmp, no no look at this pic this is how the best england team currently may line-up you, Beckham is out their on the wing on the right while Gerrard plays just inside him. So lets say Beckham gets injured wouldn't SWP be his best replacement?

Attachments

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
James said:
Couldn't help but laugh at this:

60 mins - This is England's final friendly before Eriksson has to name his squad for the World Cup. What lessons would he have learnt? 1. Bent shouldn't go to Germany. Unless it's for a short city break. I hear Berlin is a very interesting city.

and this:

61 mins: Lesson Number 2: England would be rubbish without Rooney.
More like Euro 2004, Portugal 0-1 England, 30 minutes: Sven's 'Plan B' kicks in - 11 England players stand around in and around England's penalty area for the rest of the duration.

Conclusion: England are rubbish without Rooney

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
aussie said:
bmp, no no look at this pic this is how the best england team currently may line-up you, Beckham is out their on the wing on the right while Gerrard plays just inside him. So lets say Beckham gets injured wouldn't SWP be his best replacement?
no gerrard wide right, and carrick in midfield, swp has done nothing to justify any inclusion, whereas gerrard has been in good form playing for liverpool on the right wing and carrick similarly in the centre for spurs.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
sledger said:
no gerrard wide right, and carrick in midfield, swp has done nothing to justify any inclusion, whereas gerrard has been in good form playing for liverpool on the right wing and carrick similarly in the centre for spurs.
concur

James

Cricket Web Owner
If anyone wants a good laugh, you simply have to read through the text commentary on Soccernet for the game :D

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
sledger said:
fair enough.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
James said:
Where did that come from?

Bent did all he could IMO.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
So lets say Beckham gets injured wouldn't SWP be his best replacement?
No, he wouldn't.

Gerrard would be 2nd best.

Pennant would also be a better option IMO.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
To be fair to SWP it's his fault for going to Chelsea. With people like Robben and Cole I'd hardly expect him to stand out. If Cole isn't fit in time this is the England squad for me:

Robinson
James
Kirkland

Neville
Young
Carragher
Terry
Ferdinand
Konchesky
King
Bridge

Beckham
Gerrard
Lampard
Cole
Carrick
Downing
Richardson
Neville
Jenas

Rooney
Owen
Crouch
Defoe

Not so sure about Richardson and Neville but can't come up with anyone else.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wright-Phillips pulls down a handy paycheque at Chelsea and even though he doesn't play much, he gets picked for the national side. I don't think he's in much of a complaining mood just yet. He won't be at Chelsea long if he doesn't get good game time soon anyway, because he's too big a talent to be ignored.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
personally i think his spell at chelsea and his lack lustre displays have shown that if anything he actually isnt as talented as everyone first thought.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
roseboy64 said:
To be fair to SWP it's his fault for going to Chelsea. With people like Robben and Cole I'd hardly expect him to stand out. If Cole isn't fit in time this is the England squad for me:

Robinson
James
Kirkland

Neville
Young
Carragher
Terry
Ferdinand
Konchesky
King
Bridge

Beckham
Gerrard
Lampard
Cole
Carrick
Downing
Richardson
Neville
Jenas

Rooney
Owen
Crouch
Defoe

Not so sure about Richardson and Neville but can't come up with anyone else.
fair enough but missing Campbell. Also in midfield i would still have SWP over richardson & even though unlikely Parker over Jenas.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
sledger said:
personally i think his spell at chelsea and his lack lustre displays have shown that if anything he actually isnt as talented as everyone first thought.
Some people had realised that when he was at Citeh.