• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
possible England path to the WC Final:

If England top the group:

Sweden>>Ecuador>>Portugal/Holland>>Brazil>>Italy>>World Champions

If they come second:

Sweden>>Germany>>Argentina>>Italy>>Brazil>>World Champions

In England final group game vs Sweden i reckon it will either be a draw or an England win, thus winning the group a following the 1st path. So for me its imperitive that England don't lose to sweden since our chances our winning will be extremely though.

Once England win their group keep improving as the tournament go on lifting the world cup is a real strong possibility..

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
possible England path to the WC Final:

If England top the group:

Sweden>>Ecuador>>Portugal/Holland>>Brazil>>Italy>>World Champions
Personally i had England marked down as meeting Argentina in the final instead of Italy.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
Personally i had England marked down as meeting Argentina in the final instead of Italy.
well they could meet them yea, but to me Italy at full-strenght playing at full potential should beat argentina.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Have you been watching the match on now though Aussie?
yes i am, but as i just said if the Italian show what they can do also i'd back them to beat argentina if they clash later on in the tournament.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
After that performance, I'd back those damn Argies against anyone, and Italy are nothing special

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
you can't be serious..
Stop going on reputations and preconceived ideas.

Italy were reasonable in the first half, and Pirlo was quite superb (as was Cannavaro). Ghana, however, played them very well and shaded it in the second half, and the 2-0 scoreline quite frankly flattered Italy.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Stop going on reputations and preconceived ideas.

Italy were reasonable in the first half, and Pirlo was quite superb (as was Cannavaro). Ghana, however, played them very well and shaded it in the second half, and the 2-0 scoreline quite frankly flattered Italy.
ok ok, lets wait until their second game..

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
ok ok, lets wait until their second game..
Italy are 5-0 up, have all their players on the pitch and now look a dead cert for the World Cup!!!!!!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
Italy are 5-0 up, have all their players on the pitch and now look a dead cert for the World Cup!!!!!!
what does this wild statement suppose to mean!!!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
OK, Aussie, I waited until after the second game.

Italy were rubbish, I was right and you were wrong.

As usual.

;)
yea the azzuri were disappointing yesterday, still it would be foolish to write them off..

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
yea the azzuri were disappointing yesterday, still it would be foolish to write them off..
I wouldn't write anyone off - as I have been pointing out to all these folk who have been suggesting that all the groups were foregone conclusions.

World Cups don't work like that. Face it, if they did, who would want to watch?

There have been some awful performances so far from many of the fancied teams (especially Portugal, Brazil, Italy and England) and a few breathtaking performances by sides who weren't given a prayer (the last two days have been amazing).

I've seen enough World Cups in my time to know that there's many a slip twixt cup and lip - and this one hasn't really even started yet!

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Christ yeah, Italy were awful in the '82 first group stage, and Rossi didn't even score a goal. Then they drew Brazil and the Argies in the second group stage, nobody gave them a prayer, the rest is history...

Anything can happen, that's why we love it so.