• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England Thread

James

Cricket Web Owner
Rooney is likely to be fit for England's 1st World Cup match I've just heard on the news!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
James said:
Rooney is likely to be fit for England's 1st World Cup match I've just heard on the news!
Wow. Great news if true, but that's a remarkably quick turnaround for a metatarsal.

I actually find it kinda sad that I now know how to spell "metatarsal" when four years ago I wasn't aware of the bones' existence! :D

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
When Ryan Taylor played for Tranmere he broke his foot. He signed for Wigan a couple of years later, got the same innury, but now it was a broken metatarsal. LOL

As for the England B game, I actually think it's a good idea using a match like that to play the second string, gives them a bit of practice if need be obviously. We'll probably see a line-up like this

James

(Right-back?)
Campbell
Carragher
Bridge

Lennon
Hargreaves
Jenas
Downing

Owen
Walcott

Green to come on for James at half-time probably

steds

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
When Ryan Taylor played for Tranmere he broke his foot. He signed for Wigan a couple of years later, got the same innury, but now it was a broken metatarsal. LOL
Shame. He looked promising. He'll hopefully get more gametime now Chimbonda's turned coat.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GeraintIsMyHero said:
What did you make of a young player called Ryan Williams that played for Tranmere about 98-2000?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
steds said:
Shame. He looked promising. He'll hopefully get more gametime now Chimbonda's turned coat.
Cracking player Taylor, but when he came back from his metatarsal, he broke his ankle in training :@

Matteh said:
What did you make of a young player called Ryan Williams that played for Tranmere about 98-2000?
Never got much gametime, he looked useful though, but he did look too small to be a footballer LOL. I think he went to one of the Brizzle teams from us, in fact it will have been Brizzle Rovers.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Never got much gametime, he looked useful though, but he did look too small to be a footballer LOL. I think he went to one of the Brizzle teams from us, in fact it will have been Brizzle Rovers.
He was supposed to be the best player to come out of the Mansfield youth programme and then Tranmere snapped him up and basically his career remained average from then on. Best player to come out of the youth programme now is undeniably Liam Lawrence....

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Now thats its confirmed that Rooney won't be playing in the group matches & clearly wont be match fit even if he is fit enogh to play in the 2nd round, he still wont be at his absolute best so even though its hard to accept, Rooney should be left behind.:dry:

Craig

World Traveller
roseboy64 said:
Pity for Rob Green though.
Great news for Scott Carson.

Carlo Cudicini should have taken up his option of taking up English citzenship and he could have gone to the World Cup and played international football, unlike his dad.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Pedro Delgado said:
If you own a Rolls Royce, you don't leave it in the garage even if the radiator is leaking a little.
Well put. Rooney must go, even if he has a 1% chance of playing the last minute of the final. It could make all the difference.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Well put. Rooney must go, even if he has a 1% chance of playing the last minute of the final. It could make all the difference.
well maybe him going & his presence their will make a bit of a difference in the camp, but what i'm saying as we say in euro 2004 after he got that foot injury he took a pretty long while to show how good he is here at OT & depending on England's form in the group stages, we will need Rooney at his best. But you blokes are right rooney should go, his presence could make a difference in truth.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
so the squad will play in the next two warm ups will most likely start the tournament baring injury. I really hope Sven goes for the 4-5-1 formation, since it really is the best formation with Rooney out.

cpr

International Coach
Pedro Delgado said:
If you own a Rolls Royce, you don't leave it in the garage even if the radiator is leaking a little.
But if theres a chance its gonna blow up in the middle of nowhere, and your lacking the neccessary cover on it, you take the reliable car untill the other one is sorted....

HAte to say it, but i dont think rooney should go

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
aussie said:
so the squad will play in the next two warm ups will most likely start the tournament baring injury. I really hope Sven goes for the 4-5-1 formation, since it really is the best formation with Rooney out.
Everyone is going on about how we should play 4-5-1 if Rooney misses out

Everyone obviously suffers from amnesia, we played 4-5-1 against Wales and Northern ireland and it was disastrous, a 4-4-1-1 would be fine, but 4-5-1 is rather different and doesn't seem to suit our midfield.